The Student Room Group

Further Maths GCSE AQA Paper 1 (Unofficial mark scheme)

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE="Joelo00;65979589"]
Original post by Ano123
Must have been too easy.[/QUOTE

Do you have any other questions like this? Just want to practice for paper 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

Given that d/dx (sin2x+cos2x)=k.
It is given further that d/dx (sin2x)= 2sinxcosx,
Find the value of k and hence find the derivative of cos2x.
Original post by Torticci
Can someone explain the limiting factor one and how it was 3/5? I though it was 2.4 cos then the denominator would equal 0 and the fraction would be undefined

Posted from TSR Mobile

Divide each term in the fraction by the highest power of n present (which was just n I believe) and then imagine, as n tends to infinity, what the fraction would eventually end up as. The terms which are divided by n would tend to 0 and thus be voided, leaving the remaining limiting factor, 3/5.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4177216&p=65956266#post65956266
Original post by Chittesh14
Unofficial Markscheme:

Correct me if I'm wrong. The gaps are for answers I don't remember or questions.

1. 3x^2 - 20x [3]
2. a = 3, b = -20 [3]
3. (a) 12th term [2]
(b) 3/5 limiting factor [1]
4. (a)-5, 8 - basically it was opposite the numbers in the brackets [1]
(b) root 10 - radius [1]
5. Prove the two line segments were perpendicular. AB gradient = -10/4 and BC gradients = 4/10, multiply the two gradients to get -1 so they are perpendicular.[3]
6. m = 8, p = -1 [4]
7. 9, 10, 11 [3]
8. x = 121 [3]
9. x^3 - 15x^2 + 75x - 125 [3]
10. -80, x = 16 and y = -1/5 [4]
Should be 11. Circle theorem:
180 - 3x
2x + 58 = 2(180 - 3x)
2x + 48 = 360 - 6x
8x = 312
x = 39 [3]
12. (a) h = 3, k = -7 [2]
(b) -3, -7 [1]
(c) -3 +/- root 7 [1]
13. sqrt(125) + sqrt(20) = sqrt(80) + sqrt(x). Answer: x = 45 [3]
14. (a) When 3 is put into equation and a is 1, the equation is equal to 0. [2]
(x-3)(x-7)(x+2) - use long division first to get quadratic then factorise it [3]
15. 2root7 - 4 [3]
16. -5/6 for the cos and sine question [4]
17. k = 9 [5]
18. What Q? x^4 - 81 (I think it was this) = (x^2 + 9)(x+3)(x-3) [I think 2 marks]
19. (a) Use pythagoras theorem, 9 + 9 = 18, side = root 18 = 3 root 2 [2]
(b) Trapezium - Idk, but I got the answer somehow: the bottom side of the triangle was root 3 and the hypotenuse was 2root3.
Add it all together: 3 + 3 + 3 + 2 root 3 + root 3 = 9 + 3 root 3, thats what u get when u expanded what they gave so it's correct. [4]
20. Cosine rule.
Cos P = 1/3.
Use the rule, you find u have to do 4/12 to get 1/3.
So, you do 13n^2 - 4n^2 = 9n^2
That's w^2 so w = 3n.
w = 3n same as the other side, so the triangle is isoceles. [4]

Well, I thought I had got really low, but after checking it again, it seems way better!

Harsh marking: 53/70
Lenient marking: 59/70

Well, I'm happy :smile:.

Just wondering: how confident are you about how many marks there are for each question? Are you fairly sure or is it more a guess?
Original post by SunnysideSea
Just wondering: how confident are you about how many marks there are for each question? Are you fairly sure or is it more a guess?

The marks for each question are definitely correct.
(edited 7 years ago)
The marks for each question are definitely correct.

Yay! That's good - I thought I'd lost more marks. Thank ye kindly:tongue:
Original post by SunnysideSea
Yay! That's good - I thought I'd lost more marks. Thank ye kindly:tongue:

No problem :smile:.
Yes! 21/70 Smashed it

I'm joking btw... but that is what i got
For the one where it says -5/6, how do you get to that? Everyone I spoke to said 5/6, including myself. I was just wondering where the - came from.
Original post by NiamhM1801
For the one where it says -5/6, how do you get to that? Everyone I spoke to said 5/6, including myself. I was just wondering where the - came from.

I also got 5/6, but it was an obtuse angle.
Cos -1 (5/6) gives an acute angle, it's -5/6 which gives the obtuse angle.

It's true because the obtuse angle is between 90 and 180 degrees and that only happens when the number is negative.
I also got 5/6, but it was an obtuse angle.
Cos -1 (5/6) gives an acute angle, it's -5/6 which gives the obtuse angle.

It's true because the obtuse angle is between 90 and 180 degrees and that only happens when the number is negative.

Wow...I bet loads of people will have missed that.
I didn't even read that it was obtuse either though, but even if I did that wouldn't have occurred to me.
Thanks for clearing that up :smile:
Wow...I bet loads of people will have missed that.
I didn't even read that it was obtuse either though, but even if I did that wouldn't have occurred to me.
Thanks for clearing that up :smile:

No problem, some people are just too good lol - everything just clicks.
I doubt I'd have that coming to me either if I revised lol, it's just so unexpected - anyway, I just hope I got somewhere around 55. Need to revise a lot tomorrow!
No problem, some people are just too good lol - everything just clicks.
I doubt I'd have that coming to me either if I revised lol, it's just so unexpected - anyway, I just hope I got somewhere around 55. Need to revise a lot tomorrow!

Me too, I've never really revised maths before so ill see how it goes.
55 is amazing though, good luck for paper 2 :smile:
What was question 7 and 8?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gibsond9
What was question 7 and 8?

Posted from TSR Mobile

7) what are the integer solutions to the inequality:
- 20x + 96 < 0

8) solve for x:
(3 - √x)¹/₃ = -2

¹/₃ = power of 1/3
Me too, I've never really revised maths before so ill see how it goes.
55 is amazing though, good luck for paper 2 :smile:

I'm meant to be good at Maths lol so that score is decent without any revision, but let's just see anyway. I just want to destroy calculator and I'm happy.
I'm meant to be good at Maths lol so that score is decent without any revision, but let's just see anyway. I just want to destroy calculator and I'm happy.

Same here, I hope we get a really juicy paper 2 :biggrin:

I don't xD, mental maths is my strongest area in maths haha, I don't mind some stuff on the calculator paper however because you get those questions which can come on both papers as it doesn't really matter if you have a calculator or not for some questions. I mean, sure they can use numbers which require a calculator, but that doesn't change the maths behind it, like stuff such as circles or graphical simultaneous equations, ratios, I've seen them all come up on both calculator and non-calculator papers. But either way, I'm sure it will go great.

Lol, me too. Well, I don't really mind.. :/
Original post by mattedwards8972
I don't xD, mental maths is my strongest area in maths haha, I don't mind some stuff on the calculator paper however because you get those questions which can come on both papers as it doesn't really matter if you have a calculator or not for some questions. I mean, sure they can use numbers which require a calculator, but that doesn't change the maths behind it, like stuff such as circles or graphical simultaneous equations, ratios, I've seen them all come up on both calculator and non-calculator papers. But either way, I'm sure it will go great.

Wow really, see mental maths is my downfall, hence why I prefer calc papers!
And yeah I understand about the overlap content, as it is just about what numbers they give you. There was a surprising amount of Pythagoras and trigonometry on the non calc though, leading me to think there won't be much on the calculator one...hmm
But you don't know, it might end up being really nice :smile:
Lol, me too. Well, I don't really mind.. :/

Yeah me neither really - an easy paper would be good for a grade, but a tough one would be more satisfying as there's nothing that we shouldn't be able to do technically. I want a good trig identity question tbh, love those :tongue:
Wow really, see mental maths is my downfall, hence why I prefer calc papers!
And yeah I understand about the overlap content, as it is just about what numbers they give you. There was a surprising amount of Pythagoras and trigonometry on the non calc though, leading me to think there won't be much on the calculator one...hmm
But you don't know, it might end up being really nice :smile:

I hope there's nothing to do with the cosine rule with algebra because, even though I can pick up marks on doing the basic part of the questions, I can never seem to pick up all the marks on the question. I hope something like indices comes up on the exam because these are easy marks, more differentiation stuff would be nice too, anything with the second derivative I wouldn't mind. Also maybe a trigonometric proof would be nice as well, if it's a nice easy one. What topics do you hope come up?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending