The Student Room Group

English resident, moving to Wales to study, help needed

So I'm moving to Cardiff in August (currently looking for the right accommodation) and am really in need of (preferably) a grant/bursary fund, otherwise a good student loan. I'm currently working a normal job and am putting away money every week, and by the time I'm ready to move I should have about half of my full funding needed for the nine months, including rent/utilities, food/transport and course cost. I can't apply for a grant through gov.uk because I won't be studying in England, and I am quite sure I can get a small but reasonable grant through Wales gov, but am wondering if anybody knows of any other funding that might be available to me. Its very hard and frustrating to research, because most sites don't seem to cover this criss-cross in-between England and Wales situation, and I feel I'm missing on information for the best opportunities. It also seems like when I search, I'm getting a lot of blogs by people that are just copying info from other places in order to get clicks and are otherwise unhelpful. I really want to know the range of possibilities I have before me. Any information at all would be really helpful at this stage, so I really appreciate your input.

Thanks.
Reply 1
You will be eligible for funding from the area of the UK where you have been ordinarily resident for three years before the start of your course. In your case, that is England. Hopefully you will have applied to Student Finance England. All SFE grants have now been phased out for new starters, in favour of a larger Maintenance Loan. It is doubtful that you could get any funding from a Welsh source unless you can find one which does not take pre-uni residence into account.

Beyond Student Finance and the general bursaries/scholarships offered by your uni (which generally don't take your UK area residence into acvount) I'm not aware of any other undergrad funding available to you.
Reply 2
I see. That's strange, because I messaged my college for info, and they said that I wouldn't be eligible for an Advanced Learner Loan due to me studying in Wales, so either they're wrong or they're referring to something different to you. Thanks for the info.
Original post by PhantomHill
I see. That's strange, because I messaged my college for info, and they said that I wouldn't be eligible for an Advanced Learner Loan due to me studying in Wales, so either they're wrong or they're referring to something different to you. Thanks for the info.

That's something different.
Reply 4
Original post by PhantomHill

Advanced Learner Loans aren't for undergrad study - that's for different Level 3/4 courses. You need to apply for Student Finance via Student Finance England if you're going into an undergraduate degree. Your application is already late, so get it underway as soon as posdible.

Start here:
https://www.gov.uk/apply-online-for-student-finance

If you're not going into an undergrad degree, then I apologise for the confusion and I suspect that your funding sources are non-existent, as your prospective college has indicated.

Even if you got a Welsh equivalent of the ALL, it only pays tuition fess - you would get no help with living costs.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
If you have lived in England for the past few years, you apply for student finance england. If you lived in wWales, you apply for Wales one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
There are also various bursaries and grants that you can apply for. Search on websites like turn2us and see what applies for you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending