The Student Room Group

Advice for next year needed!

Am taking my GCSEs next year. I am currently in year ten. I do the IGCSEs, so mine aren't changing and won't be marked (1-9.)
Would really appreciate it if anyone could give me some advice in regards to revision etc. Literally, anything that you wish that you had known when doing your GCSEs. Thanks! :smile:
Original post by ?Hannah
Am taking my GCSEs next year. I am currently in year ten. I do the IGCSEs, so mine aren't changing and won't be marked (1-9.)
Would really appreciate it if anyone could give me some advice in regards to revision etc. Literally, anything that you wish that you had known when doing your GCSEs. Thanks! :smile:

Do as many past papers as you can do right now. Always aim for the highest you can and if you not sure about a question ask it because relevant questions to do with that might come out. Just always revise!
Having just completed my GCSE's, just split your revision into reasonable chunks and don't cramp everything into one or into a single night (you'll forget 90% of what you revised).

Also, some people say that revising in the morning before the exam is a bad idea. It's actually a good idea, as the information is 'freshest' in your mind. Use that opportunity to revise the things you find toughest still.

That's all I have so far, I'll put up more once I can think up of more.
Reply 3
Original post by Shazen
Do as many past papers as you can do right now. Always aim for the highest you can and if you not sure about a question ask it because relevant questions to do with that might come out. Just always revise!

Original post by Fractite
Having just completed my GCSE's, just split your revision into reasonable chunks and don't cramp everything into one or into a single night (you'll forget 90% of what you revised).

Also, some people say that revising in the morning before the exam is a bad idea. It's actually a good idea, as the information is 'freshest' in your mind. Use that opportunity to revise the things you find toughest still.

Thanks guys! :smile: I really appreciate this, hope your GCSEs have gone really well!
Make a revision timetable so then you can revise everything and not just some/ one subject :smile: Also past papers are key :smile:
Make notes in year 10 or for year 11 mocks in November! I left mine quite late in some subjects, but I found having notes already was really helpful.

Another thing that won't be relevant til you start revising next April, is doing past papers. They really help, and in the sciences especially similar questions come up every year.

Other than that, just continue to work well at school, do your homework and listen in class and you'll do well!
Original post by Fractite

Cramming worked for me quite well, I memorised the whole book...
Reply 7
Original post by ?Hannah
Thanks guys! :smile: I really appreciate this, hope your GCSEs have gone really well!

I really regret one thing I did when doing my GCSE's.
I found them so easy that I just went "this is too boring"
I didn't study at all.
Ended up getting A*BBBC, missing 3 A's and a B by a few marks...by few I mean 1 or 2.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ?Hannah

Welcome! Also, before you go into the exam hall don't revise too much then, because you will forget everything that you learned
Original post by Blazyy
I really regret one thing I did when doing my GCSE's.
I found them so easy that I just went "this is too boring"
I didn't study at all.
Ended up getting A*BBBC, missing 3 A's and a B by a few marks...by few I mean 1 or 2.

Did you only get 5 GCSE's?
Reply 10
Original post by Shazen
Did you only get 5 GCSE's?

I did 9. 4 in another session.
Original post by Blazyy
I did 9. 4 in another session.

Ohh ok nice!
As you get closer to the exam, familiarise yourself with the exams through practice past exam papers and get used to what types of questions your examiner will fire at you.

Depending on your style, you can revise by watching and listening to educational videos, buy a revision guide, use a notepad or sticky notes and write your notes on them- there are countless possibilities!

Good luck next year, it will be a momentous year for you in terms of what you'll pick for your A-Levels. :smile:
Reply 13
I'd recommend starting revising now lmao... I've got 2 exams left and I'm here instead of revising, I haven't revised all year and its tomorrow morning haha. Definitely if you start now or after the summer holidays it will be a lot easier to go over stuff nearer to the start of exams, and you won't have to cram like I am rip
Go onto your exam board website and find the specification of the exact GCSE course that you are doing and revise from this going through each point and finding the information in your resources!

Using a specification is something I wish I knew properly about earlier and it should be the backbone of your revision!

Posted from TSR Mobile
And (regardless of what others say) start light revision semi-early in like February/March -- trust me, you'll save a whole bunch of stress from eating you alive!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ?Hannah

start revising in september if you want a*'s in everything ... if you want A's then you can revise like 3 weeks before ...
Reply 17
Thanks everyone! Really appreciate all your advice. :smile: sorry, I can't quote everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest