The Student Room Group

AQA MM1B - Mechanics 1 -Tuesday 21st June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ano123
Velocities were not equal but parallel, so you cannot just equate them as I think you may have done. One was a multiple of the other, but not necessarily a multiple of 1.

How many marks lost for this?
From the answers people have piste on here, I think I've done quite well :biggrin:
Original post by Hep123
did people get 8 for the bearing?

I certainly did, 008 degrees
For question 6, where you had to say 49 + Tsin50... how ****ed am i that i thought it was Tcos60...? if i did that for both parts, out of 8 how many would i lose???
Reply 364
Original post by dgkjhl
Also did anyone actually get that question where it asked you to find the angle between the ramp and the horizontal?

i think so! since there was no resistance forces acting on the toy car i assumed the only force acting was mgsinB, B being the angle to be found.
plug that into f = ma and its mgsinB = m(1.5)
cancel out the m and it's gsinB = 1.5
so sinB = 1.5/9.8
angle comes out to be 8.80... not sure if you had to round it up or if anyone else got similar answers.
A-54
B-47
C-41
D-34
E-28
my predicted grade boundries
Original post by Arima
ahhh i made the same mistake, but there should be marks for at least forming the v=u+at equation/s, otherwise AQA is as sadistic as i've always made them out to be

Phew, it is nice to see someone else has the same thought processes as me. I got the 2 v=u+at questions and hopefully yeah like you say maybe 3 marks will be gained for that. :smile:
Just wondering, what year did you take this in (AS or A2) As I believe question 8 expects you to know what parallel vectors are, which is covered in C3 or C4. Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by wholockonmars
Just wondering, what year did you take this in (AS or A2) As I believe question 8 expects you to know what parallel vectors are, which is covered in C3 or C4. Thanks.

This is expected knowledge in M1, vectors are parallel if they are scalar multiples of each other.
To everyone that got t=5 or t=25, if you put these time values into the velocity vectors for A and B, it doesn't match, whether you got t=5 or t=25 depends on which components you equated, the i component or the j components.
Original post by Ano123
This is expected knowledge in M1, vectors are parallel if they are scalar multiples of each other.

Yes I am mistaken, it is very briefly mentioned on page 29 of the textbook.
Original post by OturuDansay
On question 8 there was a way of getting 106 if you had the times 25 and 5. You simple had to find the distances between A and B for both of times and then calculate the difference between those 2 answers, in which you get 106
Could you please show the working with this method. (I didn't equate the j components to get t=25 😬
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
Could you please show the working with this method. (I didn't equate the j components to get t=25 😬

What do you have for the 2 j components? This is not the correct way of doing it btw.

Okay so you get t= 5 and t=25. 5 from equating i components and 25 from j components (as I remember).
You then plug t=5 into S=ut +0.5at^2 for both A and B. Resulting in two distances. You then find the difference between the two distances.
Then you do the same for t=25.
And finally then you find the difference between them to get the final answer.

I definitely to the long route to do it because i didn't know how to interpet parallel velocities. Don't listen to my method, it will just confuse lol
Original post by OturuDansay
Okay so you get t= 5 and t=25. 5 from equating i components and 25 from j components (as I remember).
You then plug t=5 into S=ut +0.5at^2 for both A and B. Resulting in two distances. You then find the difference between the two distances.
Then you do the same for t=25.
And finally then you find the difference between them to get the final answer.

I definitely to the long route to do it because i didn't know how to interpet parallel velocities. Don't listen to my method, it will just confuse lol
Thanks I really appreciate the response. This was the method i was using without the equating of the j component... Quick question if you subbed t= 5 and t=25 for R(a) and R(b) wouldn't you have 4 position vector equations to find the difference of 😕
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks I really appreciate the response. This was the method i was using without the equating of the j component... Quick question if you subbed t= 5 and t=25 for R(a) and R(b) wouldn't you have 4 position vector equations to find the difference of 😕

Yes. I found the difference between 1 for A and 1 for B for t= 5 and t=25. Learn the "proper" method to do it tho lol because my method is confusing.

Don't worry tho because there were a lot more people who didn't get it than whom got it
Doea anyome remember exactly what the 7 marker was on Q7? Like what were the numbers given?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqPNK4wE7jw&feature=youtu.be

Shameless self-advertising, but it has to be done.

I apologise for the 360p, it was rendered in 1080p so not sure what happened :colondollar:
For question 6, where you had to say 49 + Tsin50... how ****ed am i that i thought it was Tcos60...? if i did that for both parts, out of 8 how many would i lose???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending