The Student Room Group

Why Britain will leave the EU: people underestimate how conservative Britain is

Scroll to see replies

Original post by govandpolitics
Are you in or out?

Out
Original post by Elivercury
The truth is that we do basically have a situation like Australia (although without the points), just not for the EU.

I suggest that anyone who thinks our system weak has never tried to get into the UK as a migrant.

Regarding EU migration, it has only been positive and we also have many Brits migrating abroad, so personally I have no issue with it.

What I find truly bizarre is people insisting a vote to leave is a vote to block muslims from entering the country.

Haha, do people really say that last thing? How odd...

Personally I think it's fairer to have the same rules for everyone instead of giving certain people special treatment because of where they were born or whatever, but I accept there are pros and cons to every situation. My biggest issue is that our government isn't going to cough up the money to spend on public services to accommodate unpredictable numbers of EU workers (because it's David Cameron we're talking about...) and it's not just that the population is growing but also that we need to have translation services as well. Which is fine, but for the sake of the government coffers it would be good to predict just how much we'd need to spend so we didn't have to cut back elsewhere.
Original post by AnnieGakusei
Haha, do people really say that last thing? How odd...

Personally I think it's fairer to have the same rules for everyone instead of giving certain people special treatment because of where they were born or whatever, but I accept there are pros and cons to every situation. My biggest issue is that our government isn't going to cough up the money to spend on public services to accommodate unpredictable numbers of EU workers (because it's David Cameron we're talking about...) and it's not just that the population is growing but also that we need to have translation services as well. Which is fine, but for the sake of the government coffers it would be good to predict just how much we'd need to spend so we didn't have to cut back elsewhere.

I agree, in an ideal world it would be better if we could have "true control" of our borders.

However given to date European migrants have contributed more than they have taken out, I don't think it's a dealbreaker when compared to the rest of what we get from the EU. But that's me.

I do dislike how it's become the case that you can't be in favour of controlled migration without being a bigot apparently. Although I do find a lot of these suggestions about leaving the EU will allow us to have under 100,000 net migration ridiculous. We need more migration than that and migration from outside the EU is greater than that.
Original post by jamestg
Out

Can you vote or are you 17?
Original post by govandpolitics
Can you vote or are you 17?

Can't vote :frown:
Original post by Elivercury
The truth is that we do basically have a situation like Australia (although without the points), just not for the EU.

I suggest that anyone who thinks our system weak has never tried to get into the UK as a migrant.

Regarding EU migration, it has only been positive and we also have many Brits migrating abroad, so personally I have no issue with it.

What I find truly bizarre is people insisting a vote to leave is a vote to block muslims from entering the country.

lol what
I am so confused but I think I would vote to stay. Goods will be cheaper to purchase and also leaving may mean more NHS cuts so we may end up paying for healthcare and health insurance. Imagine paying just to get treated for a cold!
Majority of people I know are voting to stay in.
Reply 27
It might be a surprise really, and leave might win !
Anyone think the polls will be rigged to remain? :colonhash:
Original post by Grand High Witch
It mostly is.

Leaving the EU is an extreme left and strong right position. I imagine there are quite a few Conservatives cut from Cameron's cloth.

Also the pollsters will have (hopefully) learnt their lesson from the freak event that was the 2015 general election.
Original post by Joinedup
The UK joined in '73 and had a referendum in '75... that's respectively 28 and 30 years after the end of WW2... though we'd been asking to get in since '63

The UK has now been in for 43 years, if anything staying in is conservative (small c) and leaving is the radical option.

TBH I think 'leave'ers like to think of themselves as the silent yet overwhelming majority but don't realise they spend their time banging on about the evils of Europe in single issue enclaves full of other 'leave'ers which they mistakenly think is a representative cross section of voters.

Admiring the strong username to post content correlation

Quick Reply