The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL Biology Unit 5 (WBI05) Scientific Article Discussion - June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aimen.
You should the article of the paper you're giving as in if you're an international student do IAL but you're a home candidate do GCE. This is the thread for IAL students!

I am a international student who is studying in UK ,
so i should read IAL, right?
Reply 441
Original post by bellachoa

Umm idk lol which exam series have you given upto now?
I have a silly but important question, are we given the article during the exam or is it that we study and memorise before having the exam?!
Original post by beheiry
I have a silly but important question, are we given the article during the exam or is it that we study and memorise before having the exam?!

No. Not a silly question at all.

We are given the article. The article is released months before for students to get comfortable with it because it's too long and although you may find the time to read a paragraph or two, the chance of having enough time to read the whole article during the exam is very low.
Original post by AKucukuncular
No. Not a silly question at all.

We are given the article. The article is released months before for students to get comfortable with it because it's too long and although you may find the time to read a paragraph or two, the chance of having enough time to read the whole article during the exam is very low.

thank youu
Reply 445
Original post by bellachoa

Well if you've done coursework as unit 6 then read GCE one called "factory of life" but if you've given unit 6 paper then read the IAL one "ageing and disease"
Do you think most of the questions in the biosolutions thing would come up in the exam? Like are the biosolutions papers accurate enough in previous years?
Reply 447
Original post by Aimen.
Can someone please help me with these li'l questions?
Puhleeeez :colondollar:
Capture 2.PNG
What are those? xD
Attachment not found

In this second thing I thought it'd be B cuz fast twitch:slow twitch should be 6:18 and hence 1:3 but markscheme says 3:1
(the lighter ones are fast twitch and darker ones slow twitch)
lastly
Attachment not found

They asked for ans. in dm^3min^-1 but stroke volume is in cm3min^-1 so, it should be 4.608x10^-6 but ms says 4608 (cardiac output=stroke volumexheart rate at rest)

For the 3rd one ; you will get 1 mark for 128×36=4608cm^3/min
The 2nd mark goes for conversion. Just divide the answer by 1000 which is 4.608 dm^3/min
And stroke volume is in cm^3 per beat while heart rate is in beats per min
So now multiply the units the "beat" in stroke volume and heart rate cancel off leaving you with cm^3 per min
Reply 448
Original post by Aimen.
umm no first question's answer was 'three myofibrils' (I wonder why)
I get the second one thanks.
Could you solve the third thing and send me if you don't mind?
Biosolutions are predicted questions and answers from the article and yea we have the IAL one only!

So for the 1st one; a myofbril has so many sarcomere units which can be seen in the diagram. Then you have those white areas, those are the sarcolemma and other organelles such as mitochondria can also be present. Between two myofibrils you get the sarcolemma(white area in the diagram) so 3 myofibrils and each hs like 2 sarcomere ( 1+0.5+0.5)
Reply 449
Original post by chiarac123
Do you think most of the questions in the biosolutions thing would come up in the exam? Like are the biosolutions papers accurate enough in previous years?

I've never done something like that earlier so I cannot say anything!
Reply 450
Original post by 0777
So for the 1st one; a myofbril has so many sarcomere units which can be seen in the diagram. Then you have those white areas, those are the sarcolemma and other organelles such as mitochondria can also be present. Between two myofibrils you get the sarcolemma(white area in the diagram) so 3 myofibrils and each hs like 2 sarcomere ( 1+0.5+0.5)

Ohh thankyou loads ^___^
So after reading through 23 pages, what I got was this super helpful dude Aimen is giving out mock question 7 material for bio U5. How and where do you send it to? It'd be super helpful if you could send it to me as well, but you probably got it the past 100 times you were asked.
Haii! So I know it's like a day before the exam, but if anyone wants some questions for some last minute practice, I have about twenty! If you need the mark scheme, give me a shout. Good luck!

P.S did anyone else hate the unit 4 exam last week, or is that just me? xD

. Explain why we need to ‘suck’ CO2 out ofthe atmosphere 2. Describe how you can genetically engineerbacteria3. Calculate how many Amino Acids could becoded by Mycoplama4. Describe how genes can be switched on 5. Suggest why the ‘roster’ might be tooslow. 2. ​‘Biologists actuallygrow​ vials full of redesigned cells (paragraph 6). Name the process thatresults in many identical cells. (1) 3. ​The article states that‘armies of organisms could produce alternative fuels, churn out drugs to battledisease or fill every stomach on the planet by squeezing more food out of eachcrop acre’ (paragraph 8). Explain how biologists could achieve these aims (3)4. One research team hascreated a new and complex set of biological building blocks, paragraph 9. Drawthe formation of a dipeptide molecule. (3) 5. State what is meant by theterm ​genome ​(paragraph 11) (1) 6. ​Genes contain theinformation needed to make proteins, which ‘perform the lion’s share of thework in a cell’ (paragraph 12) Describe the uses of proteins in a cell (3) 7. Describe an example of atranscription factor (paragraph 20) (2) 8. Collins et al. used​E.coli ​in their research. Suggest one advantage and one disadvantage of this(2)9. Paragraph 26 states thatVenter used ​Mycoplasma​ in their research, compare the structure of​Mycoplasma​ and ​Saccharomyces cerevisiae. ​(4) 10. Suggest what is meant bya reactive enzyme (paragraph 14). (1) 11. Explain how the primarystructure of an enzyme determines its three-dimensional structure and itsproperties. (3) 12. ​Describe how a stretchof DNA is ‘inserted into a circular​ ​strand of DNA’ (paragraph 21). (2) 13. The research waspublished in the Journal of Cell Biology in August. Describe what would happento the scientist’s research before this document was published (2).​ 14. ​The box next toparagraph 27 states that ‘the work coul​d be used to develop plants thatproduce more food per harvest. Outline the effect of this on GPP. (2) 15. ​Name the processdescribed as “make other cells commit suicide” (Paragraph 38). (1) 16. The pharmaceuticalcompany Sanofi is working towards bringing the process to the market. Outlinethe steps taken before a drug is sold on the open market (box adjacent toparagraph 38). (4) 17. In paragraph 40, Weissstates that his team are now working to harness a virus that could be used totest this idea in mice. Suggest how the team could investigate this as a validtreatment. (3) 18. Box- reviews give greenlight, encourage caution discusses the implications of engineering life.Describe ​two​ risks associated with the use of genetically modified organisms(2)1. Paragraph 5 states thatmicrobes can be engineered in order to produce biologically based fuels toreplace petroleum. Explain the advantages of replacing petroleum with biologicallybased fuels. (4)
Reply 453
Original post by Sonalucard
So after reading through 23 pages, what I got was this super helpful dude Aimen is giving out mock question 7 material for bio U5. How and where do you send it to? It'd be super helpful if you could send it to me as well, but you probably got it the past 100 times you were asked.

Gimme your email address. I'll mail you!
Please someone tell me what Florigen is? And how different periods of light and dark stimulate flowering in SDP
Original post by Aimen.
Gimme your email address. I'll mail you!

may i have the biosolution as well ?
May I have the biosolution please?
Original post by Abdelrahman 1998
Please someone tell me what Florigen is? And how different periods of light and dark stimulate flowering in SDP

Umm..i dunno but i dont think it'll come in this xam hehe
Aimen it would be really helpful if you send me mock question of u 5 ial scientific article, cant really predict any questions and xam is tomorrow :frown:
Reply 459
Do you guys really think the biosolution thing is useful?
The questions seem repetitive and nowhere near the style of questions edexcel would ask.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending