The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CalistaJupiter
Ka=([A][H])/[HA]
Which rearranges to [H]= Ka*[HA]/[A]

It's really confusing as my revision shows the fraction line underneath the part with Ka itself.

Ok finally got 3.99 cheers a lot :smile:

Also what is the formula for a pH of a strong acid if not the same?
>Feels confident with revision
>Does reasonably well on lots of past papers
>Decides to do January 2011 F325 as a last piece of revision
>Dies inside
>Sees the grade boundaries are A = 65
>Reborn
Original post by BioStudentx
It's just a rearrangement mate. You'll normally have 3 values and rearrange to find the unknown. Or 1 value and a ratio.

My revision guide had Ka on the numerator not to the side of it, which made it only have 2 terms.
Original post by lai812matthew
june 2015 4ciii) how do you get 0.12M in C2H5COOH concentration.

It is diluted. They added water until volume was 100cm^3. The original volume was 25cm^3. Therefore, concentration is 4 x less (as c=n/v and v is 4x bigger). 0.480/4=0.120
Reply 3084
Original post by HasanAlam
How do you use electrode potentials to determine whether a reaction is feasible or not? In the textbook it says E cell must be 0.4+ but in an exam paper there was a question with a feasible reaction that had an E cell of 0.37. How come its feasible?

its feasible if E>0

Posted from TSR Mobile
anyone have the F325 June 2015 mark scheme? Or an unofficial one?
Original post by Dinasaurus
My revision guide had Ka on the numerator not to the side of it, which made it only have 2 terms.

Post a picture. You can rearrange the equation to have Ka on any side. It's never [H+]^2... You're just confusing weak acids and buffers.The only way you can have two terms is if you're given a ratio. Most Qs will work with ratios in big buffer qs. And ratios always involve the acid and conjugate base (HA and A-).
It is diluted. They added water until volume was 100cm^3. The original volume was 25cm^3. Therefore, concentration is 4 x less (as c=n/v and v is 4x bigger). 0.480/4=0.120

haha sorry i misread q4eiii) answer to this question's answer thx
Original post by phoebeg76
anyone have the F325 June 2015 mark scheme? Or an unofficial one?

youtube f325 2015
youtube f325 2015

thank you! :smile:
Post a picture. You can rearrange the equation to have Ka on any side. It's never [H+]^2... You're just confusing weak acids and buffers.The only way you can have two terms is if you're given a ratio. Most Qs will work with ratios in big buffer qs. And ratios always involve the acid and conjugate base (HA and A-).

You are actually right I was on the weak acids page but what I meant was the Ka was literally on the fraction. So instead of say A=(B/C) it just had A=B/C
With A and B being on the same line.
Original post by Dinasaurus
You are actually right I was on the weak acids page but what I meant was the Ka was literally on the fraction. So instead of say A=(B/C) it just had A=B/C
With A and B being on the same line.

I'm struggling to understand! If you post a picture I'll understand better.

A=(B/C) and A=B/C are the same thing? Haha.
please help!!!

Ka = 10^-pka
pka = -logKa

low/high ka = what
low/high pka = what

which combination means its a strong acid???
I'm struggling to understand! If you post a picture I'll understand better.

A=(B/C) and A=B/C are the same thing? Haha.

Maybe, but If I write a Fraction with a horizontal line, I tend to put A not on that line:

Like imagine this ------- is a line. A fraction has numbers on it and below it. But if the thing the fraction equals is on the line, so for A=B/C it would mean that A/C and B/C are equal because A=B
(edited 7 years ago)
Hardest F325 paper - which year??????
Original post by Jessica Mighall
please help!!!

Ka = 10^-pka
pka = -logKa

low/high ka = what
low/high pka = what

which combination means its a strong acid???

High Ka= strong acid
High Ka is low pKa so low pKa is strong acid.

I remember it by thinking about it like pH. A smaller pH means the acid is stronger so a smaller pKa means the acid is stronger.

The conc of the 25cm3 sol of ethanoic is 0.48*0.025 but then it is diluted up to 100cm3 so divide by 0.1

(0.48*0.025)/0.1 = 0.12

n = cv, n = 0.48x0.035
n = 0.012mol

c = n/v
Total volume = 0.1
c = 0.012/0.1
c = 0.12moldm^-3
Original post by GawdHeresEmmie
The conc of the 25cm3 sol of ethanoic is 0.48*0.025 but then it is diluted up to 100cm3 so divide by 0.1

(0.48*0.025)/0.1 = 0.12

I just did this and I expected there to be more to it, the fact she filled the water up to 100.0, had no relevance?
why ph in a standard hydrogen half cell=0?????

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending