The Student Room Group

AQA Computing COMP 3- 22nd June 2016 [Exam Discussion]

There doesn't seem to be a thread yet for the exam, so I created one :smile:

Anyone have any predictions/notes/tips they wish to share they can do so here.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Phishing and viruses haven't ever come up on the exam, so since it is the last year of the spec it is possible that it might come up? Maybe as an 8 extended writing question, although it probably won't tbh
Would be nice if we made a whatsapp group to share notes.
I have made a revision document for comp3, i will provide the link below, be sure to make your own revision and not depend on my notes :smile:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/files/documents/computing-comp3-revision/Computing%20A%20LEVEL.docx
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
I have a feeling that breadth first traversal is going to come up this year becuase it came up last year, AQA have a habit of repeating poorly answered questions for example the 2013 and 2014 networks questions were literally the same qustion with the same diagram except they changed a few numbers around
Wow. This thread is dead. There must be like a 1000 students taking this exam nationally.
What did you guys get for COMP4?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by 1TrueMeaning
What did you guys get for COMP3?

Do you mean COMP4? My teacher marked it at 71/75, but he said that it might get moderated down.
Original post by willgyel
Do you mean COMP4? My teacher marked it at 71/75, but he said that it might get moderated down.

Yh COMP4
Original post by willgyel

My teacher marked 75/75. Praying that it doesn't get marked down.

How are you feeling about COMP3?
Reply 9

66/75 according to my teacher. Just hoping that it won't get marked down by the examiners.
anyone got a good idea/ description of pointers and there uses? Looked through AQA textbook and NOTHING on it! Yet it's on the spec. Any help would be appreciated ^^
I'm really stressed for this exam, I don't know anything :s-smilie: Can someone explain subnet masks please? The book's explanation doesn't really make sense to me
After doing having to resist COMP1 and COMP2 seems they just followed previous tests and use the same questions, would be surprised if this came up. Feel like the computing exam board is the only one going easy on our year unlike those bastard biology exam writers!

74/75 from my tutor. This is the last year of this spec so hopefully they just throw in old questions (alternatively they might have a reserve of weird questions they haven't used and decide this is their last chance! But let's be positive :biggrin:)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by dreadfortmormont
I'm really stressed for this exam, I don't know anything :s-smilie: Can someone explain subnet masks please? The book's explanation doesn't really make sense to me

I find subnet masking pretty tricky too. Check out these videos, they kind of explain how it works and all that.

Principle behind subnet masking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDLrt-yppbI

Calculations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFYilGQ-p-8
Reply 15
Also, here are some resources I stumbled upon for COMP3 that you guys may find useful. I suppose they're decent for last minute revision.

http://matdev.co.uk/revision/notes/view_pdf.php?notesID=2

Credit to those that made these, obviously.
I'm doomed
Reply 17
Original post by RedRum99
I'm doomed

Well, it may not be that bad. Considering that this is the last year of this specification, AQA might give us a nice paper...
Original post by Wanonawa
Well, it may not be that bad. Considering that this is the last year of this specification, AQA might give us a nice paper...

Yeh a paper full of finite state machines and floating point would be welcome lol. I just hope there isn't loads of pseudo code dry running. Can never seem to get it right.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by RedRum99
Yeh a paper full of finite state machines and floating point would be welcome lol. I just hope there isn't loads of pseudo code dry running. Can never seem to get it right.

I know right? Those are the nicest questions.
And ugh, me too. There is definitely going to be at least one question with it, let's just hope it's not more than that ._.

How many exams do you have left after COMP3?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending