The Student Room Group

My A Level subjects are crazy?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abscissa
Citation needed

In the Imperial Offer Holders thread there are a few people who have offers that are like A*A*AAA. I personally only took 3 A-levels and my offer is "only" A*A*A.
You are crazy. You won't even need those stupid subjects in life. Do Media
Original post by PotAuFeu
In the Imperial Offer Holders thread there are a few people who have offers that are like A*A*AAA. I personally only took 3 A-levels and my offer is "only" A*A*A.

I have an Imperial offer too, A*A*AA,5 A-Level offer seems very rare though.
I know you might want to challenge yourself or enjoy doing all of those subjects but honestly, doing all five is not totally beneficial to you. Four full A-Levels is really impressive and is something Oxbridge will look out for. I highly recommend trading the time you would have spent in one of those subjects for more time to spend sleeping, time with friends and family, time to relax and therefore reduce your chance of a full on mental break out towards exam season.
Reply 24
No university requires more than 3 grades, very very rarely 4 but never ever 5. I would seriously reccommend dropping one for A2
I have an Imperial offer too, A*A*AA,5 A-Level offer seems very rare though.

I just checked the thread and I think I saw it in the Imperial applicants thread instead, but I definitely saw at least one person get a 5 A-level offer.
Regardless, it seems a bit mean to make you work even harder for deciding to take 4 A-levels and give yourself a bigger workload while giving lazy-me a slightly less high offer.
I just checked the thread and I think I saw it in the Imperial applicants thread instead, but I definitely saw at least one person get a 5 A-level offer.
Regardless, it seems a bit mean to make you work even harder for deciding to take 4 A-levels and give yourself a bigger workload while giving lazy-me a slightly less high offer.

My offer is for Maths, I don't know what yours is, that might explain the difference. Imperial/Oxford has a Maths admissions test and I don't think too great in that, might be why my offer is slightly higher.
Hi there. I'm in a similar situation. I've just finished my AS exams in Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry and even though the workload has always been a challenge, I am determined to keep all of them for my A2 year because I enjoy studying them. I think you should carry on studying all of yours at A2.
If you are truly passionate about all of those subjects, I believe you are more than capable to perform well in each of them.
Good luck with your exams :smile:)
Original post by Gaby84183
Hi there. I'm in a similar situation. I've just finished my AS exams in Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry and even though the workload has always been a challenge, I am determined to keep all of them for my A2 year because I enjoy studying them. I think you should carry on studying all of yours at A2.
If you are truly passionate about all of those subjects, I believe you are more than capable to perform well in each of them.
Good luck with your exams :smile:)

Any ideas of what universities you want to apply to? If the AS workload was a challenge, I recommend you drop one of them. Better to ace 4 A Levels than to do good in 5 A Levels.
Original post by TheGameChanger
For A Level I selected:

Further Maths
Maths
Chemistry
Physics
Biology

When I told some friends, they said I was 'crazy' and that I will 'suffer' under the workload. The thing is, I am really passionate about these subjects and wouldn't like to drop any going into A2.

Am I making the right decision or am I being foolish?

I think your friends are right in that some people, myself included, would give up on life if that were us. But it should be fine as you are passionate about it. Everyone finds different subjects easy or hard it just depends on what you like and how difficult you find different things. There is probably some subjects your friends enjoy that you would see as torture and vice versa.

Anyways good luck with everything. :biggrin:
@rxns_00 @Abscissa @PotAuFeu @cookie123456789 @niv1234

I am certain you will do well for your A-levels. If you ever lose motivation or need inspiration, read on. Good luck!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Moeen_Nawazish

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/4398668/Teenager-gains-22-A-levels-in-12-months.html

[video="youtube;EbH_dWWIE1Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbH_dWWIE1Q[/video]

It's not that unfair- the entire reason for giving 4/5 grade offers is to stop people from taking it to look good to admissions staff and them not revising for them, essentially failing on purpose. Which is why it's advused you only do more than the recommended 3 subjects if you're genuinely good at them and not because you'll think it will give you an advantage- usually will have the opposite effect :tongue:
Reply 32
Original post by TheGameChanger
For A Level I selected:

Further Maths
Maths
Chemistry
Physics
Biology

When I told some friends, they said I was 'crazy' and that I will 'suffer' under the workload. The thing is, I am really passionate about these subjects and wouldn't like to drop any going into A2.

Am I making the right decision or am I being foolish?

Depends on the individual and also on the amount of workload each teacher will give you. At my sixth form, they give an extreme amount of homework (which you must hand it at all cost) for Biology and Maths; so those who did these combo suffered.

The combination isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. In my opinion a mix of art, humanities and sciences are the hardest due to the extreme amount of workload given (got given 3 essay a week, produce at least 5 art pieces a week and had a mountain of problem sheets for sciences and Maths which was hell). If you want to do well (also applies to any other combination) you should put some work on developing your time management skills (e.g. make a timetable, or do particular routine on a weekly basis) to ensure you are doing enough work outside the classroom and meeting homework deadlines.
Where do you have offers from?

That was last year haha. Im studying medicine at SGUL right now :smile:
Original post by Audrey18
@rxns_00 @Abscissa @dragonzrmetal @PotAuFeu @cookie123456789 @niv1234

I am certain you will do well for your A-levels. If you ever lose motivation or need inspiration, read on. Good luck!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Moeen_Nawazish

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/4398668/Teenager-gains-22-A-levels-in-12-months.html

[video="youtube;EbH_dWWIE1Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbH_dWWIE1Q[/video]

Wow I'm just speechless. Did he do all of them in the normal two years?
@niv1234 Yes he did all of them in 2 years. He's a successful entrepreneur now.

The British A-levels as compared to the other A-level exams in the world are actually the easiest. British Council Hong Kong released a report some years ago that the British A-levels is easier than the Hong Kong A-levels by two grades. The Singapore A-levels is the most difficult exams in the world. So if you're on the British A-levels you should be aiming to do well.

The fact that the British A-levels are the easiest in the world is the reason why students from Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, India, Pakistan and Indonesia are sitting for it in their home countries as private candidates. They actually self-study for the British A-levels. Many of them study everyday and end up getting 4 or 5 A*. They then end up at the top UK unis with the help of scholarships. After graduation they stay in UK for work and then become British citizens.

Their motivation to do well is because they want a better life for themselves. They come from very poor countries with corrupt governments and lousy infrastructures. So the future is bleak if they remain in their home countries. I hope this info motivates you. I would have provided you with more pictorial evidence but I don't want to overwhelm you with so much of facts this early in the day :h:

Spoiler

Original post by Audrey18
@niv1234 Yes he did all of them in 2 years. He's a successful entrepreneur now.

The British A-levels as compared to the other A-level exams in the world are actually the easiest. British Council Hong Kong released a report some years ago that the British A-levels is easier than the Hong Kong A-levels by two grades. The Singapore A-levels is the most difficult exams in the world. So if you're on the British A-levels you should be aiming to do well.

The fact that the British A-levels are the easiest in the world is the reason why students from Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, India, Pakistan and Indonesia are sitting for it in their home countries as private candidates. They actually self-study for the British A-levels. Many of them study everyday and end up getting 4 or 5 A*. They then end up at the top UK unis with the help of scholarships. After graduation they stay in UK for work and then become British citizens.

Their motivation to do well is because they want a better life for themselves. They come from very poor countries with corrupt governments and lousy infrastructures. So the future is bleak if they remain in their home countries. I hope this info motivates you. I would have provided you with more pictorial evidence but I don't want to overwhelm you with so much of facts this early in the day :h:

Spoiler

Oh wow. I've actually done some exams from that board :smile:
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm sure if I get a head start and learn some content over the summer I should be fine. The thing is, the large workload doesn't really matter since I enjoy studying these subjects.
I regret doing all 3 sciences, the work load is hard but I felt confident this year until the exam boards made these devilish papers, I would recommend dropping on if them after a year, just be ready for the work load

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Latest