The Student Room Group

OCR MEI C3 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by Leechayy
Why would you be penalised for simplifying an expression that means the same thing further?:p:confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because examiners are sadists
Original post by JGB_69
Because examiners are sadists

The mark scheme will read "4ln4-4 oe", so any answer with the same value will be accepted for full marks. I wrote 8ln2-4, for example
Original post by MDwyerJr
I did so. badly. I got so many questions wrong, I'll be lucky to get a C 😭 I genuinely don't know what to do, everyone else is saying how reasonable they found it, and I have never struggled so much on a C3 paper...
I'm so worried I'm not going to get into uni because of maths, and I don't know what to do because of it it's getting so stressful, and this paper has only made it worse! Hopefully S2 and the coursework will balance out the badness of this paper, but I'm so worried for C4 too. I think I might have a mental breakdown soon, it's all getting to me 😭 Well done to everyone who found it easy though, I suppose...

Anyone who says they haven't had an exam like that before is probably lying. It happens to us all mate.

It might help to go in with the mindset that whatever will happen, will happen, because whether you get stressed or not the outcome will largely be the same. So, easier said than done, but take it easy. All you can do is all you can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU
Original post by yaas1234
Omg finally someone i can relate to!! I found section B incredibly hard, left a number of the questions, Think I only got about 8 marks there tops as i didnt finish any bit of any question. I need a B but there is no way i have gotten that :frown: I had a really bad D1 exam too, i feel so stressed

Yes! Agh I feel you, I need a B too and I'm so so worried I haven't got it. Ahh I don't envy you with D1, I heard it was impossible this year. I guess the only thing we can do now is salvage with C4...

Original post by WhiteBison
Anyone who says they haven't had an exam like that before is probably lying. It happens to us all mate.It might help to go in with the mindset that whatever will happen, will happen, because whether you get stressed or not the outcome will largely be the same. So, easier said than done, but take it easy. All you can do is all you can do.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU

True, very true... I'm going to try and keep it cool for C4, if I can haha
(edited 7 years ago)
still waiting on those marks per question >.<
Original post by Leechayy
Why would you be penalised for simplifying an expression that means the same thing further?:tongue::confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

In a few cases the mark scheme says isw - ignore subsequent working but usually it states to mark the final answer. I would guess that you will lose the final accuracy mark.
Original post by bombaysaff
In a few cases the mark scheme says isw - ignore subsequent working but usually it states to mark the final answer. I would guess that you will lose the final accuracy mark.

Not true, equivalent answers (so long as they're reasonable simplified) should normally receive full marks. If it were a fraction it's possible they'd want it in its simplest form, but with a log it's not really clear what "simplest form" means - which of ln256 and 8ln2 is simpler? They're marked equally, as is 4ln4 and other reasonable equivalents.

Source: my teacher is an experienced examiner, she talks about mark schemes all the time.
Original post by Rajsters
Head up your own bum hole much, hope you die in a hole and slip in the shower you bell end

Grow up now. Just because he has a different opinion on the paper doesn't mean you have to act like such a b****:mmm:

(If this is satire, I apologise for the triggeredness:tongue:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rajsters
Head up your own bum hole much, hope you die in a hole and slip in the shower you bell end

I'm guessing you didn't too well in the paper lol
Original post by Bealzibub
I'm guessing you didn't too well in the paper lol

I did fine on it and it still think the guy is an ass, he might have done really well, but he shouldn't brag about it on a forum where people are literally saying how upset they are about the way it went for them
Original post by Runningluke
I did fine on it and it still think the guy is an ass, he might have done really well, but he shouldn't brag about it on a forum where people are literally saying how upset they are about the way it went for them

The guy you're quoting is the guy who said it.

And agreed. Just to show that I'm not of the salt variety, I think I got 71 on that paper, and yet clearly I'm not going to announce this unprovoked because other people will have had a hard time (and indeed, many did). Dying in a shower is a bit much, but...

I guess his great intellect doesn't span to social etiquette.
Original post by WhiteBison
The guy you're quoting is the guy who said it.

And agreed. Just to show that I'm not of the salt variety, I think I got 71 on that paper, and yet clearly I'm not going to announce this unprovoked because other people will have had a hard time (and indeed, many did). Dying in a shower is a bit much, but...

I guess his great intellect doesn't span to social etiquette.

Ha yeah, I may have replied to the wrong person! congrats man, I hope C4 goes just as well!

In my experience, it rarely does
Ha yeah, I may have replied to the wrong person! congrats man, I hope C4 goes just as well!

Aha cheers. I've been on both sides, so I know his feels and when I see stuff like that it's just a bit... :flute:

Good luck with C4 y'all.
I did so. badly. I got so many questions wrong, I'll be lucky to get a C 😭 I genuinely don't know what to do, everyone else is saying how reasonable they found it, and I have never struggled so much on a C3 paper...
I'm so worried I'm not going to get into uni because of maths, and I don't know what to do because of it it's getting so stressful, and this paper has only made it worse! Hopefully S2 and the coursework will balance out the badness of this paper, but I'm so worried for C4 too. I think I might have a mental breakdown soon, it's all getting to me 😭 Well done to everyone who found it easy though, I suppose...

Trust me, as soon as everyone came out of that exam in my college, there was a flood of tears and loads of "what even was that paper" statements. My friends and I are currently discussing whether or not we will get into uni. Maybe the paper was a bit like marmite, but also remember that a lot of the people on student room are VERY brainy. I am average, but am on here for the usefulness. So a lot of the people on here who thought it was easy are usually your typical oxford and cambridge students.

Low grade boundaries are on the way, no worries:smile:
Original post by thecalmmorning
Trust me, as soon as everyone came out of that exam in my college, there was a flood of tears and loads of "what even was that paper" statements. My friends and I are currently discussing whether or not we will get into uni. Maybe the paper was a bit like marmite, but also remember that a lot of the people on student room are VERY brainy. I am average, but am on here for the usefulness. So a lot of the people on here who thought it was easy are usually your typical oxford and cambridge students.

Low grade boundaries are on the way, no worries:smile:

I'm a year behind already and I'm so stressed because Imma get a C overall in maths and I wanted to get a B I'm defo a average student here. And idk I found that paper quite different to other papers :/ I didn't do too well :/ and C4 is probably going to be harder too. Idk I think I'm not going uni so I'll be 2 years behind if I don't, which isn't that bad because different people go uni and different times, there are people in uni at the age 30.

I'm the same

to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure 71/72 on a c3 paper is evidence of "great intellect"

obviously people bragging about their mark are nobs, but some people are just a bit oblivious; telling him to die in a hole because he's happy about his performance is a bit much
Original post by StrangeBanana
to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure 71/72 on a c3 paper is evidence of "great intellect"

obviously people bragging about their mark are nobs, but some people are just a bit oblivious; telling him to die in a hole because he's happy about his performance is a bit much

You might be replying to the wrong person, because I didn't say any of that stuff
You might be replying to the wrong person, because I didn't say any of that stuff
lol? You said great intellect doesn't correlate with social skills, and you said the guy was an ass for being happy about his mark. It applies to you as well.
Original post by StrangeBanana
lol? You said great intellect doesn't correlate with social skills, and you said the guy was an ass for being happy about his mark. It applies to you as well.

I don't think it does apply to me

"to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure 71/72 on a c3 paper is evidence of "great intellect""

I didn't say it did

"obviously people bragging about their mark are nobs, but some people are just a bit oblivious; telling him to die in a hole because he's happy about his performance is a bit much"

I didn't say anything about him dying, let alone in a hole. Like i said, you might be replying to the wrong person

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending