The Student Room Group

Do you think I can get into Imperial College London?

My GCSE grades were: 1 A*, 5As, 2Bs (I also had extenuating circumstances that I have doctor's proof for)

I'm predicting my AS results to be AABC (Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry, I did all of Maths A Level this year but I'm probably gonna resit some modules so I can get an A*)

Do you think I have any chance of getting in to Imperial? And if I don't, can someone advise me on how I could take a gap year and get in a year later? I really, really want to go to this university specifically!

Thanks for your help
What do you want to study?
Reply 2
Original post by Eternalflames
What do you want to study?

Aeronautics with Spacecraft Engineering :smile:
For what subject?
Reply 4
Original post by Plagioclase
For what subject?

Aeronautical Engineering
Original post by april1907
Aeronautics with Spacecraft Engineering :smile:

http://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/aeronautics-department/aeronautics-spacecraft-engineering/
A-levels
Our minimum requirement for these courses is for three subjects to be passed at A-level with grades A*A*A, to include:

A* in Mathematics

A* in Physics

A in a third subject

or four subjects with grades A*AAA, to include:

A* in Mathematics

A in Physics

A in a third subject

A in a fourth subject

If you can get that at A2 then I don't see why you don't have a chance. Work hard and go for it!
Best of luck :biggrin:
aeronautical engineering is one of imperial's best, most competitive courses, but if you think you can get A*A*A in maths physics and further maths + have the passion, then i don't see why you shouldn't at least apply
Aeronautical Engineering

You are aware that their entry requirements are A*A*A with A*s in Maths and Physics? I think this is the main issue (physics, in particular, if you do indeed get a B). That's not to say that an offer is impossible, and since your grades are probably good enough for you to be confident of getting offers at other places there's probably no harm in applying, but I wouldn't expect to get an offer.
Reply 8
The question is, do you think you can get in? Show the enthusiasm and get those A2 grades, and you'll be in with a good shot :cute:
Reply 9
Original post by Plagioclase
You are aware that their entry requirements are A*A*A with A*s in Maths and Physics? I think this is the main issue (physics, in particular, if you do indeed get a B). That's not to say that an offer is impossible, and since your grades are probably good enough for you to be confident of getting offers at other places there's probably no harm in applying, but I wouldn't expect to get an offer.

Yeah I think physics may be an issue, but if I don't get an offer this year what steps should I take to try and get an offer from Imperial? I don't mind resitting or taking a gap year but I'm not quite sure how everything works.
Reply 10
Thank you to all who have been so supportive! Imperial is my dream school and I would be so happy to get in :smile:
I applied for the hell of it this year, not too fixated on it but it was worth a try. Would have been good to get in.
It was for CS, but I imagine Engineering/Maths are about equally competitive.
I have 9A*s, 1A at GCSE and 5As at AS level, predicted grades for A2 were A*A*A. I got rejected without interview. I'm fine with it, but it's just to say how competitive it is. I think you should aim for it and definitely apply, but I don't think you should be too fixated on it and waste years on this :smile: Other universities are good too ^^ More importantly, I think if you make the best of where you are it really doesn't matter that much.
Reply 12
Original post by Azarashi
I applied for the hell of it this year, not too fixated on it but it was worth a try. Would have been good to get in.
It was for CS, but I imagine Engineering/Maths are about equally competitive.
I have 9A*s, 1A at GCSE and 5As at AS level, predicted grades for A2 were A*A*A. I got rejected without interview. I'm fine with it, but it's just to say how competitive it is. I think you should aim for it and definitely apply, but I don't think you should be too fixated on it and waste years on this :smile: Other universities are good too ^^ More importantly, I think if you make the best of where you are it really doesn't matter that much.

Wow you did amazingly! I know not to get fixated, but my parents always said if you want something, imagine you already have it 😝

Also I don't know if I mentioned but I've skipped a year so I don't really mind resitting another year TBH, although I'd prefer not to!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow you did amazingly! I know not to get fixated, but my parents always said if you want something, imagine you already have it 😝

Also I don't know if I mentioned but I've skipped a year so I don't really mind resitting another year TBH, although I'd prefer not to!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you ^^
It sounds good on paper, but really it's not really high As or something. Definitely not that smart. Not even gonna get those predicted grades.
I think that is good advice, but for things outside of your control there's probably a limit x3
Nothing guarantees you will be there after a year! I imagine Imperial doesn't look favourably upon resits either.
I'm not discouraging you though, don't get me wrong. Hard work will pay off ^_^
Reply 14
Original post by Azarashi
Thank you ^^
It sounds good on paper, but really it's not really high As or something. Definitely not that smart. Not even gonna get those predicted grades.
I think that is good advice, but for things outside of your control there's probably a limit x3
Nothing guarantees you will be there after a year! I imagine Imperial doesn't look favourably upon resits either.
I'm not discouraging you though, don't get me wrong. Hard work will pay off ^_^

Haha I agree! Do you think there's a way of getting into imperial through clearing? Say my AS grades aren't the best but I manage to get the A*A*A next year, is there a way I can try to get a place?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha I agree! Do you think there's a way of getting into imperial through clearing? Say my AS grades aren't the best but I manage to get the A*A*A next year, is there a way I can try to get a place?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Imperial don't participate in clearing or adjustment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, Imperial doesn't take part in Clearing or Adjustment last time I checked. I think it will stay that way. The only way is through an initial offer, as far as I know.

Quick Reply

Latest