The Student Room Group

Are employers required to pay for 'on the job' training?

I recently got a job at a new games store opening in my town (got tired of working at a supermarket).

They have told me I need to attend a couple of training days in another store (as the store I will be working in isn't built yet). They have offered to reimburse me for my travel costs getting to this location.

They have clarified if they are going to pay me an hourly rate for attending the training days. Are they required to do so by law?

Original post by Flying Pig
I recently got a job at a new games store opening in my town (got tired of working at a supermarket).

They have told me I need to attend a couple of training days in another store (as the store I will be working in isn't built yet). They have offered to reimburse me for my travel costs getting to this location.

They have clarified if they are going to pay me an hourly rate for attending the training days. Are they required to do so by law?

Depends whether you have started employment with them. Just ask them if they are going to pay you.
Original post by 999tigger
Depends whether you have started employment with them. Just ask them if they are going to pay you.

I feel rude asking?

Surely they would be paying me though?
I feel rude asking?

Surely they would be paying me though?

You want to know. The usual way of the world is to ask the people who know.

You need to check your contract. If you are afraid to ask HR, then what will you be like when dealing with customers? Just ask, but be polite.
They probably are paying for it. Which is why employers/owners prefer institution-educated/trained jobseekers. They often complain otherwise is expensive. Whether they're paying you to attend is up to them so ask. People even ask on interviews and call backs how much their pay is, and sometimes it's strange to them if you don't, I've realised.
Original post by 0to100
They probably are paying for it. Which is why employers/owners prefer institution-educated/trained jobseekers. They often complain otherwise is expensive. Whether they're paying you to attend is up to them so ask. People even ask on interviews and call backs how much their pay is, and sometimes it's strange to them if you don't, I've realised.

If you were offered a job and asked to do two training days unpaid....

...would you be happy and do it?
If you were offered a job and asked to do two training days unpaid....

...would you be happy and do it?

What?...Never said I would be. I suggested you ask them if you will be paid or not...asking us is futile, they're the employers/owners...you can also google workers rights by law, dunno. Anyway you said they would pay you so. Or whatever else "reimburse me for travel costs and they clarified if they will be paying me hourly" could mean because that's what it says to me.
Original post by 0to100
What?...Never said I would be. I suggested you ask them if you will be paid or not...asking us is futile, they're the employers/owners...you can also google workers rights by law, dunno. Anyway you said they would pay you so. Or whatever else "reimburse me for travel costs and they clarified if they will be paying me hourly" could mean because that's what it says to me.

Wasn't having a go just asking your opinion, if you were in my situation :wink: <3

They basically said they will pay for travel for the two training days but did not clarify if they would pay me for the work day.
Wasn't having a go just asking your opinion, if you were in my situation :wink: <3

They basically said they will pay for travel for the two training days but did not clarify if they would pay me for the work day.

Oh so they didn't clarify. Well there ya go, bell em up, ask? If I were in that situation I'd take the bloody job ini. Not gonna refuse it for two days stiffed unless it's even a legal obligation to pay me when I'm not hired yet.

"Does my employer have to pay me for time spent on required training ...www.nolo.com/legal.../employee-wage-hour-rights-faq-29040-3.htmlNoloYes. If you are required to attend a training program for work, you must be paid for that time. For example, if your employer requires all new employees to attend ..."

Just with a quick google, not sure though.
Original post by 0to100
Oh so they didn't clarify. Well there ya go, bell em up, ask? If I were in that situation I'd take the bloody job ini. Not gonna refuse it for two days stiffed unless it's even a legal obligation to pay me when I'm not hired yet.

"Does my employer have to pay me for time spent on required training ...www.nolo.com/legal.../employee-wage-hour-rights-faq-29040-3.htmlNoloYes. If you are required to attend a training program for work, you must be paid for that time. For example, if your employer requires all new employees to attend ..."

Just with a quick google, not sure though.

I googled before posting here....

...the source you provided is based upon US Legislation :/
I googled before posting here....

...the source you provided is based upon US Legislation :/

Is it? I just googled and on the search results pg that looked ok lol

well keep googling, there was some other stuff like

https://worksmart.org.uk/work-rights/training/employer-driven-training/if-my-employer-says-i-have-attend-training-outside-my

dunno. it's a good question I suppose I mean when you find the answer tell me so I can know for the future you know lol
You must be paid by law. Basically, if your employer tells you you have to go to the training then it's work and you must be paid for the training.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending