The Student Room Group

A Level Geography in one year?

Is it doable? If I start it now and work all summer, and all next year? I'm in year 12 right now. This is edexcel geography, by the way. Is there a lot of content?
Original post by chickenwings101
Is it doable? If I start it now and work all summer, and all next year? I'm in year 12 right now. This is edexcel geography, by the way. Is there a lot of content?

No, I don't think it is possible/sensible if you're doing three other A2's at the same time. Why do you want to do an A level in geography?
Original post by Snufkin
No, I don't think it is possible/sensible if you're doing three other A2's at the same time. Why do you want to do an A level in geography?

Thanks for responding, and I want to do an A Level in geography because I want to drop chemistry, so I want it to be my third A Level subject instead. I was intending on getting all of my AS notes in geog done over the summer, so I can start A2 with everyone else in September
Thanks for responding, and I want to do an A Level in geography because I want to drop chemistry, so I want it to be my third A Level subject instead. I was intending on getting all of my AS notes in geog done over the summer, so I can start A2 with everyone else in September

Hmm, if you're only doing two A2s + geography then it might be possible. It all depends on how motivated you are. My advice, spend the summer learning the AS syllabus, then in your first week back do an AS exam paper and ask your teacher to mark it. If you get an OK mark (a C?) then go for it.

There are lots of study and revision guides here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=3502-a-level-geography
Original post by Snufkin
Hmm, if you're only doing two A2s + geography then it might be possible. It all depends on how motivated you are. My advice, spend the summer learning the AS syllabus, then in your first week back do an AS exam paper and ask your teacher to mark it. If you get an OK mark (a C?) then go for it.

There are lots of study and revision guides here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=3502-a-level-geography

Thank you! Do/did you take geography?
Thank you! Do/did you take geography?

Yeah I did it in 2014. Don't remember much lol.
Reply 6
Nothing is impossible, it just depends on how determined you are

Geography is very demanding both at AS and A2. AS exam layout is much better than A2 as it consists of smaller questions rather than complete essays. A2 is where the struggle begins, well for me at least. I felt the jump from AS - A2 was substantially larger than GCSE - AS for geography which is what some of my friends also think. - it all depends on how hard you work really. Covering AS in summer is very much doable, but im guessing your doing the new spec so there will be more pressure on you as you have to do both AS and A2 in one year for all your subjects. - what are your other 2 A2 subjects?
Original post by OrdinaryStudent
Geography is very demanding both at AS and A2. AS exam layout is much better than A2 as it consists of smaller questions rather than complete essays. A2 is where the struggle begins, well for me at least. I felt the jump from AS - A2 was substantially larger than GCSE - AS for geography which is what some of my friends also think. - it all depends on how hard you work really. Covering AS in summer is very much doable, but im guessing your doing the new spec so there will be more pressure on you as you have to do both AS and A2 in one year for all your subjects. - what are your other 2 A2 subjects?

What exam board did you do? Do you think it's more difficult in terms of understanding, application, or amount of content?
Biology and Psychology are my other subjects :smile:
What exam board did you do? Do you think it's more difficult in terms of understanding, application, or amount of content?
Biology and Psychology are my other subjects :smile:

I did edexcel. In terms of understanding I think you will be fine, but the content especially at A2 is a lot.

Right first, question here is how many other A-Levels are you doing? If you're doing 3 others then absolutely not. maybe even 2 is too much as there is quite a lot of content. For edexcel geography you are going to have to be juggling the two specs, the 2008 spec which finishes next year as the A2's and the 2016 spec which starts this year so somehow you'll have to figure that out however, if you manage to do just one of the specs then it's simple really.

I did fast track geography this year after getting a C at GCSE and have applied to do a geography degree next year at university. I have a huge passion for it and my college knew this so they allowed me to do it however, I was only the second person at my college to ever fast track Edexcel Geography. I did the 2008 spec and this is what it was to give you some ideas. The 2008 spec is 100% exam so all four units are exam based whereas spec 2016 has unit four as coursework.

Unit 1- The World at Risk
Two topics under this: Climate Change and Natural Hazards

Unit 2- Going Global
Two topics under this: Globalisation and Migration

Unit 3
Six topics (do three in exam, one is pre-release material and you choose and revise the other two): Energy Security, Water Conflicts, Biodiversity Under Threat, The Development Gap, Superpower Geographies and Technological Fix.

Unit 4- Individual Research
Choose an area of research and write a report in the exam about your research.

I did the fast track alongside doing A2 sociology and a BTEC certificate. Yes it was difficult but it was doable and most colleges are able to cater if you're really wanting to do something in particular.

Think about it and evaluate what kind of student you are. If you can handle a lot of work then I say go for it. It's such an amazing course and has taught me so many valuable skills this year. However, if you're not so driven then maybe if you do want to do the A-Level in Geography, I suggest doing it as a two year thing and doing an extra year.

I really hope this has helped you and good luck with your decision!
Original post by Amysmith1997
Right first, question here is how many other A-Levels are you doing? If you're doing 3 others then absolutely not. maybe even 2 is too much as there is quite a lot of content. For edexcel geography you are going to have to be juggling the two specs, the 2008 spec which finishes next year as the A2's and the 2016 spec which starts this year so somehow you'll have to figure that out however, if you manage to do just one of the specs then it's simple really.

I did fast track geography this year after getting a C at GCSE and have applied to do a geography degree next year at university. I have a huge passion for it and my college knew this so they allowed me to do it however, I was only the second person at my college to ever fast track Edexcel Geography. I did the 2008 spec and this is what it was to give you some ideas. The 2008 spec is 100% exam so all four units are exam based whereas spec 2016 has unit four as coursework.

Unit 1- The World at Risk
Two topics under this: Climate Change and Natural Hazards

Unit 2- Going Global
Two topics under this: Globalisation and Migration

Unit 3
Six topics (do three in exam, one is pre-release material and you choose and revise the other two): Energy Security, Water Conflicts, Biodiversity Under Threat, The Development Gap, Superpower Geographies and Technological Fix.

Unit 4- Individual Research
Choose an area of research and write a report in the exam about your research.

I did the fast track alongside doing A2 sociology and a BTEC certificate. Yes it was difficult but it was doable and most colleges are able to cater if you're really wanting to do something in particular.

Think about it and evaluate what kind of student you are. If you can handle a lot of work then I say go for it. It's such an amazing course and has taught me so many valuable skills this year. However, if you're not so driven then maybe if you do want to do the A-Level in Geography, I suggest doing it as a two year thing and doing an extra year.

I really hope this has helped you and good luck with your decision!

Hi, thanks so much for replying, your response has really helped. I'm currently doing biology, psychology, and chemistry. But if I take up geography, then I'm definitely dropping chemistry. I attained an A at GCSE with minimal revision, but I'm definitely willing to work hard for the A Level if it means I can drop chemistry.

you'll be dragged to hell by the sheer amount of case studies alone, talkless of the actual content.
Hi, thanks so much for replying, your response has really helped. I'm currently doing biology, psychology, and chemistry. But if I take up geography, then I'm definitely dropping chemistry. I attained an A at GCSE with minimal revision, but I'm definitely willing to work hard for the A Level if it means I can drop chemistry.

You sound really enthusiastic about it so I'd say go for it! If I got a C at GCSE and probably gonna get a B/A overall this year then I'm sure you'll ace it if you got A at GCSE.

It's gonna be hard but all A-Levels are no matter what anybody says. My friend did biology and geography and said that they fit in really nicely together! There's a lot of cross overs between those two subjects which would be good for you.

Do you have any idea what you want to do at uni yet?
Original post by Amysmith1997
You sound really enthusiastic about it so I'd say go for it! If I got a C at GCSE and probably gonna get a B/A overall this year then I'm sure you'll ace it if you got A at GCSE.

It's gonna be hard but all A-Levels are no matter what anybody says. My friend did biology and geography and said that they fit in really nicely together! There's a lot of cross overs between those two subjects which would be good for you.

Do you have any idea what you want to do at uni yet?

I've just finished A2 geography and biology and do not see how they really crossed over at all.
Apart from what we did on health in geography and biology, don't think one helps the other really at all :/
Original post by tcameron
I've just finished A2 geography and biology and do not see how they really crossed over at all.
Apart from what we did on health in geography and biology, don't think one helps the other really at all :/

What exam board did you do? She was on Edexcel and said it crossed over loads?
Reply 16
Is it doable? If I start it now and work all summer, and all next year? I'm in year 12 right now. This is edexcel geogrwas sure earhe way. Is there a lot of content?

Go for it!!! Don't let anything stop you. As long as you're willing to work hard . I was in a similar situation. After finishing AS Maths last year, I was sure that I had messed up and there was no way that I was gonna be able to fix my grade, which would have left me with only 2 A levels in Psychology and Philosophy.
I dropped Maths and picked up Geography AQA around June time. I got time tabled for A2 lessons, and in the meantime, I started to self study the AS. I did this by making notes, printing off all the past papers& mark schemes to train myself for exam technique, and I also did as many of the essay Qs as I could. When I came back to school in September (Year 13), I was luckily able to be timetabled for AS as well. In the lessons I didn't find anything to be new or unfamiliar because I made sure that I covered the content beforehand and I had already completed most of the essays that were being setfor homework, so I was just redrafting them whereas everyone else were still doing them from scratch. If you can manage to organise yourself from the beginning and if you enjoy the subject then you can definitely do it all in one year. I don't know about Edexcel,but for AQA my technique was to get every possible essay and exam Qs done to the best of my ability. It's obviously a step upfrom GCSEs but not as big as the jump to the Maths and Sciences as A levels. I use to do Chemistry as well. Geography is logical and has real life application, there really isn't anything scary about it . And about the "heavy content", well if you can plan your time effectively , then this shouldn't be a problem.
By the way, I only did one a level (A2 Psychology) along with Geography in one year because I had already completed my A level in Philosophy a year earlier(Year 12), but I still think it would be doable with 2 A2s. Feel fre to ask any more questions as I know how it feels to be in this situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending