The Student Room Group

Do we really need the EU to travel and work abroad easily?

No

1.3 million Brits live in Australia, that's more than all the EU put together. Also 600,000 live in the US and 600,000 live in Canada. They are NOT in the EU and yet rank 1st, 3rd and 4th in number of British Ex-Pats living abroad. You don't need the EU to live and work abroad easily.
Also over 50 countries have visa free travel in the EU who are not EU members and the British passport is top 2 in the world for number of countries that we get Visa travel. You don't need the EU to travel easily.Vote Leave and Take Back Control!
Reply 1
You are confusing visa free travel with the right to stay in an EU country and get jobs and benefits.

You can travel to the USA for up to 90 days without a visa, but you can't stay permanently, get a job or claim social security unlike all EU countries plus Norway and Switzerland.

Leavers keep lying and it gives them a bad name. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to leave that doesn't involve lying.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks to muslim migration, Europe is looking increasingly unappealing to work or live in tbh.
Reply 3
Original post by Maker
You are confusing visa free travel with the right to stay in an EU country and get jobs and benefits.

You can travel to the USA for up to 90 days without a visa, but you can't stay permanently, get a job or claim social security unlike all EU countries plus Norway and Switzerland.

Leavers keep lying and it gives them a bad name. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to leave that doesn't involve lying.

Sorry but you have missed the point and half the statement. The fact is visa free travel makes holidays easy regardless of in or out, fact! I did not confuse it since, if you read my second point, more Brits work outside the EU than in it (not including UK). Its perfectly easy and possible to move to work somewhere else outside the EU, as proven by the fact!

There is no lies in my statement at all, I stated facts and you are trying to put words in my mouth, please stop devaluing the debate.
Original post by sebby491
No

1.3 million Brits live in Australia, that's more than all the EU put together. Also 600,000 live in the US and 600,000 live in Canada. They are NOT in the EU and yet rank 1st, 3rd and 4th in number of British Ex-Pats living abroad. You don't need the EU to live and work abroad easily.
Also over 50 countries have visa free travel in the EU who are not EU members and the British passport is top 2 in the world for number of countries that we get Visa travel. You don't need the EU to travel easily.Vote Leave and Take Back Control!

Of course we can.

Australia, Canada and New Zealand all have a smaller population than the UK does yet they're doing just fine. In fact, the aforementioned places are often described as some of the best and most prosperous places to live in the world, behind countries like Switzerland and Norway which are also outside of the EU.

The UK has a lot more in common with commonwealth countries than it does European countries. This notion that the rest of the world won't trade with us should we leave the EU is complete nonsense, as countries like China and India actively trade with non-EU and smaller countries like Australia and Canada on a regular basis, with China being Australia's biggest trading partner.

On the issue of work visas, I don't understand why some people think leaving the EU will make it impossible to work, travel or study in Europe. Getting a visa as a British citizen is one of the easiest tasks in the world, as the British passport has more influence than any other foreign passport. If you have the skills or acumen to work in another country, you will get the required documentation without issue.
Reply 5
Original post by MildredMalone
Thanks to muslim migration, Europe is looking increasingly unappealing to work or live in tbh.

"Some" might not like this
Original post by M14B
"Some" might not like this

Reply 7
Sorry but you have missed the point and half the statement. The fact is visa free travel makes holidays easy regardless of in or out, fact! I did not confuse it since, if you read my second point, more Brits work outside the EU than in it (not including UK). Its perfectly easy and possible to move to work somewhere else outside the EU, as proven by the fact!

There is no lies in my statement at all, I stated facts and you are trying to put words in my mouth, please stop devaluing the debate.

You are trying to make it sound getting a visa to work in Australia or the US is the same as not having to get a visa to work in the rest of the EU. I can go to France or Germany tomorrow and rent a flat, get a job, stay as long as I like and don't have to fill in any forms, have any interviews or pay any fees wait several months and risk getting rejected by Immigration.

How are they the same?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8

Are the figures you are using Brits that are actually working right now or are they children, retired, married to an American or Australian or unemployed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending