The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL, Unit 5: Transition Metals and Organic Nitrogen Chemistry. 22-Jun-2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Why rubies and sapphires are of different colour?
How do u replace OH group with Cl
Original post by Level9
What was mass of Fe(II) and Fe(III)
i got 0.59 and 1.sth

Same here, is that fe2+ heavier than fe3+?
Reply 203
Original post by 12103763d
Same here, is that fe2+ heavier than fe3+?

Nah
Electrons have negligible mass
Reply 204
absorption of different wavelength of light, reflect different observed colour
Original post by tgygt
Why rubies and sapphires are of different colour?
Reply 205
Talking about the mass of the ions in the solution.....and Fe2+ is not an electron. lol

Original post by tgygt
Nah
Reply 206
Original post by Quiton
absorption of different wavelength of light, reflect different observed colour

Because they have different attached ligands or that they have different central metal ion?
Original post by tgygt
Nah

I knew, I mean the question asking mass of fe, the mass of fe2+ in 500cm3 is higher than that of fe3+ , am I correct ?
Reply 208
Original post by Quiton
Talking about the mass of the ions in the solution.....and Fe2+ is not an electron. lol

Well, I mean Fe2+ with one more electron than Fe3+ would not be heavier than Fe3+. Both ions have Ar=55.8
oh no instead of saying structure XYZ i directly wrote (metal ion Cl(H2O)5) 2Cl-
do u think it'll be okay?
Reply 210
It has nothing to do with the ligand... it is about the metal ion, the passage did mention sapphire has aluminium while for rudby, some aluminium is replaced by Chromium. And the splitting of d-orbital to a different extent.

Original post by tgygt
Because they have different attached ligands or that they have different central metal ion?
Reply 211
Original post by 12103763d
I knew, I mean the question asking mass of fe, the mass of fe2+ in 500cm3 is higher than that of fe3+ , am I correct ?

Yes, that's what I got.
Mass of Fe2+: 1.xxxg (forgot haha)
Mass of Fe3+: 0.5xxg
Reply 212
Same here! Is that structure Z ?
It should be alright cause it is exactly the answer!

Original post by skeletonboy1
oh no instead of saying structure XYZ i directly wrote (metal ion Cl(H2O)5) 2Cl-
Reply 213

Sure
The question asks about deducing the structure
Reply 214
Same here.. Didn't even notice there was 3 structures XYZ??!
Original post by Quiton
It has nothing to do with the ligand... it is about the metal ion, the passage did mention sapphire has aluminium while for rudby, some aluminium is replaced by Chromium. And the splitting of d-orbital to a different extent.

Different ligandssplit the d subshell to a different extent and so electrons requiredifferent amount of energy to promote. e.g. Cu(H2O)6]2+ and [Cu(NH3)4]2+
Reply 216
Not sure what you are talking about.

You have to look at the concentration of the remaining solution plus unreacted solution to get the mass =.= we are not talking about molecular mass difference in here and honestly we still use Ar of Fe to calculate for both ions..

Original post by tgygt
Well, I mean Fe2+ with one more electron than Fe3+ would not be heavier than Fe3+. Both ions have Ar=55.8
Reply 217
Talking about sapphire and rugby in here!

Different ligandssplit the d subshell to a different extent and so electrons requiredifferent amount of energy to promote. e.g. Cu(H2O)6]2+ and [Cu(NH3)4]2+
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 218
Is the complex structure [CrCl(H20)5]2+?
Original post by tgygt
Is the complex structure [CrCl(H20)5]2+?

It was the answer I wrote

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending