The Student Room Group

Dissertation Topic PANIC

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone could help and offer some guidance/reassurance.I'm flailing about in the dark when it comes to my dissertation topic, I have an idea, which was begrudgingly changed from what I actually wanted to do, BUT I can't seem to form an argument or points to cover. My supervisor recommends that I look at British newspapers in relation to my topic, but I have no idea how to mix that with points to argue for the body of the essay.

In short, I don't know what point to even argue! I've got ideas but they don't seem to be cohesive in terms of a question to look at or argue for/ against. :frown:

Does anyone have any advice? Should I change my topic? Has anyone been through/or going through a similar thing??

Thank You! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by EMC21
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone could help and offer some guidance/reassurance.I'm flailing about in the dark when it comes to my dissertation topic, I have an idea, which was begrudgingly changed from what I actually wanted to do, BUT I can't seem to form an argument or points to cover. My supervisor recommends that I look at British newspapers in relation to my topic, but I have no idea how to mix that with points to argue for the body of the essay.

In short, I don't know what point to even argue! I've got ideas but they don't seem to be cohesive in terms of a question to look at or argue for/ against. :frown:

Does anyone have any advice? Should I change my topic? Has anyone been through/or going through a similar thing??

Rather hard to say without knowing your topic. Though you shouldn't make the details public...
Mate what's the topic/title
Original post by EMC21
Hey,

Start broad by reading secondary sources around your chosen topic, as well as doing a bit of research in to what primary sources may be available for you to use. I'd read as many secondary sources as you can as this will help give you an idea of what questions are still left to be answered and what areas you can realistically contribute to with your research. :h:
Reply 4
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Start broad by reading secondary sources around your chosen topic, as well as doing a bit of research in to what primary sources may be available for you to use. I'd read as many secondary sources as you can as this will help give you an idea of what questions are still left to be answered and what areas you can realistically contribute to with your research. :h:

Thanks! Ill do some more secondary reading and hopefully that'll throw something up :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by BirdIsWord
Mate what's the topic/title

Its about the Irish Republican Brotherhood in the 1880s

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending