The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL, Unit 5: Transition Metals and Organic Nitrogen Chemistry. 22-Jun-2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nimesh007
i got 1.83 n 1.98

Same!
Thank God, it was easier than January 2016, I was so worried about that, however, I think it's one of those papers who has some tricky questions that you don't know you have fallen into!! The annoying part is that the grade boundaries gonna be high :frown:

And what was the answer for the diamond and graphite question, how I am going the remember that from O-level
Reply 242
Original post by PlayerBB
Thank God, it was easier than January 2016, I was so worried about that, however, I think it's one of those papers who has some tricky questions that you don't know you have fallen into!! The annoying part is that the grade boundaries gonna be high :frown:

And what was the answer for the diamond and graphite question, how I am going the remember that from O-level

I wrote some nonsense about covalent bonds in diamond being stronger than the elctrostatic forces of attraction in graphite. I didn't what what to write for 3 freaking marks :angry:
Can anyone explain how the question to calculate masses of the Fe2+ and Fe3+ ions is done?
(edited 7 years ago)
i said graphite: one carbon bonded to three carbon atoms and it has a structure of layers stacking together by electrostatic force(not sure if it's electrostatic)
diamond: one carbon atom bonded to 4 carbon atoms and it's a giant lattice structure
Reply 245
Both diamond and graphite have giant covalent structure ^^

I mentioned Van der Waal's forces between layers in graphite
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Blazyy
I wrote some nonsense about covalent bonds in diamond being stronger than the elctrostatic forces of attraction in graphite. I didn't what what to write for 3 freaking marks :angry:

Same!!!! I totally forgot what their structures look like

I just wrote Diamond has a giant molecular structure while graphite has a simly molecular structure (I know it's wrong ugh)

And that the intermolecular forces between Diamond are much stronger than in between Graphite so higher energy is needed to overcome the bonds in Diamond than in Graphite
Do you think the grade boundaries would be set at 80 for A*
Hi guys! So what do you think about the grade boundaries of A*? 😕
Boundaries for A*
Original post by majidabdul
Do you think the grade boundaries would be set at 80 for A*

That's impossible! They weren't that high for unit 4 with similar difficulty

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 251
Original post by PlayerBB
That's impossible! They weren't that high for unit 4 with similar difficulty

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was 80 for Unit 4 IAL January.

However, I believe it will go up no more than 75 for A*.
Reply 252
Original post by Rasudana
Hi guys! So what do you think about the grade boundaries of A*? 😕

Don't worry you will get an A*.

The boundary for C34 was 115 but you managed to get A* so....
Reply 253
The question was about the strength of diamond and graphite, not the melting point :| so you can't really explain it using intermolecular attractions fully
Reply 254
Original post by majidabdul
What do u think will be threshold for A*

Something like 80
Reply 255
Original post by RizK
The question was about the strength of diamond and graphite, not the melting point :| so you can't really explain it using intermolecular attractions fully

So what did you write?
I wrote something like more london forces in diamond (idk why xD)
diamond- tetrahedral and graphite- trigonal planar
and 3 c-h bonds in graphite and 4 in diamond!
Is anything okay? :/
Reply 256
Original post by Aimen.
So what did you write?
I wrote something like more london forces in diamond (idk why xD)
diamond- tetrahedral and graphite- trigonal planar
and 3 c-h bonds in graphite and 4 in diamond!
Is anything okay? :/

yes, the tetrahedral structure and the 4 bonds is correct
You should have mentioned the layers in graphite vs the rigid structure of diamond i think
Original post by RizK

huthi ge putha... moko wenne lol
Original post by RizK
yes, the tetrahedral structure and the 4 bonds is correct
You should have mentioned the layers in graphite vs the rigid structure of diamond i think

ah ow
Reply 259
Original post by Geethan
huthi ge putha... moko wenne lol

Paper eka lesi eth kela wela inne huttho :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending