The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

For the question about acidic or alkaline at 60'C with a pH of 7, did no one use 10^-7 = [H+]? Because that statement has to true by definition doesn't it? So I then divided the Kw at 60'C, (which was 9.4 blah blah x 10^-14) by 10^-7, giving 9.4 blah blah x 10^-7 for [OH-] then I said that [H+] > [OH-] so the solution is acidic. Sorry to go against the flow, but my method makes complete sense to me and I think it's right, if anyone can show me why that's wrong, please go ahead (or if you think I'm talking sense please back me up lol)
Original post by ImNervous
Could you not react cr3+ with any thing below it when it came to showing it was reducing agent?

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol yeah, i wrote like 6 equations for that one :/
I also reacted the Cr2O7 with the Cr3+ woops
Original post by _NMcC_
Yeah same, the OH- concentration was higher than the H+ concentration so it seemed logical to say that the the solution was Alkaline.

Isn't it neutral as pH is a measure of h+ conc which stays the same?
Original post by maisym00
For the equilibrium question I put: I- reacts with Ag to form agI (yellow ppt), therefore the position of equilibrium will shift to the left to restore I- conc. As a result, more aqueous iodine was formed so the position of equilibrium of 1 will also shift to the left, therefore more grey/black solid iodine is formed. For the electrochemistry question I needed up with two equations. The oxidising agent one where Cr+3 reacts with AL and the reducing agent one where Cr+3 reacts with feO4- or something. Anyone else?

I got the same except i left out the observations, did it explicitly ask you to mention what you observe in the question?
Original post by k.russell
For the question about acidic or alkaline at 60'C with a pH of 7, did no one use 10^-7 = [H+]? Because that statement has to true by definition doesn't it? So I then divided the Kw at 60'C, (which was 9.4 blah blah x 10^-14) by 10^-7, giving 9.4 blah blah x 10^-7 for [OH-] then I said that [H+] > [OH-] so the solution is acidic. Sorry to go against the flow, but my method makes complete sense to me and I think it's right, if anyone can show me why that's wrong, please go ahead (or if you think I'm talking sense please back me up lol)

10^-7<9.4*10^-7
Original post by ImNervous
Could you not react cr3+ with any thing below it when it came to showing it was reducing agent?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No because the Cr2+ would be oxidised and you were strictly looking at cr3+

There were two reactions

1 and 2 Where cr3+ is reduced to 2+
6 and 7(Bottom two) Where Cr3+ is oxidised to Cr6+

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3446
For the 6 marker on redox,
Would it be 2 marks for definitions
2 marks for equations and 2 marks for explaining?

For some reason i did overall equations with each redox system and mentioned 2 where Cr is being oxidised and reduced- didnt mention anything positive/negative eletrode potential of the cells.
Original post by MrZebraCookie
10^-7<9.4*10^-7

yep, just realised that myself lol thanks anyway
ffs oh well probs only -1
Reply 3448
Original post by HFancy1997
It was at 60 degrees C not 25, you dont use 25 degrees C Kw which is 10^-14, you use the one it gave in the question as it said 60 degrees.Think the answer was 10.76

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think I missed the 60 degrees for this part! Where did it say this happened at 60 degrees? Also, how many marks was this question?
Original post by postexamtalk
I got the same except i left out the observations, did it explicitly ask you to mention what you observe in the question?

It was to do with the Iodide ions, either brown to colourless or colourless to brown.
Original post by MrZebraCookie
lol yeah, i wrote like 6 equations for that one :/
I also reacted the Cr2O7 with the Cr3+ woops

I don't think you could.. CR3+ needs to act as a reducing agent meaning it needs to be on the RHS on the equation, the key was to use the crO7/cr3+ equation and reverse it, meaning the only thing it could have reacted with was feO4
Original post by HFancy1997
Thats correct method but x=4

Posted from TSR Mobile

I must have typed the wrong numbers into my calculator at some point but hopefully I got 3 or 4/5 marks.
what the f is a standard form??????????
Original post by Brandoncarlin
What I got for the 4-step mechanism:

Overall equation: H2O2 + 2I- + 2H+ forms I2 + 2H2O

H2O2 + I- forms IO- + H2O
IO- + H+ forms HIO
HIO + I- forms I2 + OH- (given in question)
OH- + H+ forms H2O

H2O2 + I- forms HIO + OH-
H+ + OH- forms H2O
HIO + I- forms I2 + OH- (given)
H+ + OH- forms H2O

Both valid?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Brandoncarlin
What I got for the 4-step mechanism:

Overall equation: H2O2 + 2I- + 2H+ forms I2 + 2H2O

H2O2 + I- forms IO- + H2O
IO- + H+ forms HIO
HIO + I- forms I2 + OH- (given in question)
OH- + H+ forms H2O

yeah boi! Hope we're right as this does match the overall...
guys vote now on how you think the paper was.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4180760
For using a calculation to explain why K2SO4 can dissolve at 25oC was the entropy change 0.02 or something which is positive so the reaction is feasible?
Original post by postexamtalk

It did yeah, but I wouldn't worry to much as the equilibrium shifts will get you most the marks
Original post by tomlam
It was to do with the Iodide ions, either brown to colourless or colourless to brown.

Isn't it to do with the black-grey precipitate (I2) and the yellow precipitate (AgI)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending