The Student Room Group

AQA Computing COMP 3- 22nd June 2016 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bunderwump
That's right (you don't have to set previous to start depending on how you coded it afterwards) but if the element you need to delete is the first in the list, then you need to change the value of Start to the new start of the list (which would be Start.Next or Current.Next) - otherwise Start will be a null pointer after the procedure has finished.

Ah you're right, didn't put that in. Probably only lost one mark.
Original post by RedRum99
Did everyone get -1344 or something like that for the floating point question?

was that the question were they gave you the mantissa and the exponent and you had to figure out the denary value?

Because for that I got -84
Original post by aelahi23
was that the question were they gave you the mantissa and the exponent and you had to figure out the denary value?

I triple checked it in the exam and got -1344 three times, unless I misunderstood the question, since the exponent was 2^11.

-1344 was correct.

To make the representation have a higher precision without lowering the range, you can just not store the sign bit as it can be worked out from the most significant non sign bit. This gives 1 more bit for the mantissa.
-1344 was correct.

To make the representation have a higher precision without lowering the range, you can just not store the sign bit as it can be worked out from the most significant non sign bit. This gives 1 more bit for the mantissa.

I put something similar to you but I don't think I worded it very well.
Original post by TercioOfParma
I triple checked it in the exam and got -1344 three times, unless I misunderstood the question, since the exponent was 2^11.

I thought the exponent was 7. hopefully i get a mark for working out
-1344 was correct.

Yeah, I basically wrote that but far more verbose. I said that the value of the sign bit implied the next most significant bit, so it could simply be removed.
Reply 67
What do you guys think the grade boundaries will be for this one? They've pretty much gone up every year but this year was harder than 2014 and 2015 I think. Wasn't too bad though IMO
Original post by Mwo
What do you guys think the grade boundaries will be for this one? They've pretty much gone up every year but this year was harder than 2014 and 2015 I think. Wasn't too bad though IMO

I think they'll be about average. Out of my class of 5, 3 of us found it ok and 2 left an hour early because they couldn't answer most of the questions.
Reply 69
Original post by TercioOfParma
I think they'll be about average. Out of my class of 5, 3 of us found it ok and 2 left an hour early because they couldn't answer most of the questions.

Yikes... our class is of 3 and we all finished within an hour and a half but I think that's standard as you get way too long for this paper tbh. I think I got anywhere between 76 and 94 depending on how my written questions are marked. It's difficult to guess.
Original post by Mwo
Yikes... our class is of 3 and we all finished within an hour and a half but I think that's standard as you get way too long for this paper tbh. I think I got anywhere between 76 and 94 depending on how my written questions are marked. It's difficult to guess.

I need a mid B as a maximum to get a B so with any luck I will have like 76-78
Original post by Mwo

TBH I thought it was easier than last years but I don't think the boundaries can go up much more without becoming ridiculous. Most likely they'll stay near enough the same.
hi guys I made a hitlar reacts video for this comp three

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyRG-hYM5TI
Reply 73
What did you guys write for the UPDATE statement
Original post by Maths2_5
What did you guys write for the UPDATE statement

UPDATE pricerange (or whatever that table was called, I've forgotten)
SET price = "5.99"
WHERE servicespeed = "Express"
AND weight>=1000
AND weight<=4999
It was definitely a harder paper than last year due to the linked list question and SQL query for the databases. It seems fairly similar to the June 2013 paper, so my prediction is 85 raw marks for 90% (108/120) UMS.
How did people normalise the database? Also what did people get for the ER diagram?
Original post by dreadfortmormont
UPDATE pricerange (or whatever that table was called, I've forgotten)
SET price = "5.99"
AND weight>=1000
AND weight<=4999

the table never had an attribute called weight, It had 2 attributes called minWeight and MaxWeight.
So it should have been like this
AND Minweight=1000
AND MaxWeight=4999
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 78
the table never had an attribute called weight, It had 2 attributes called minWeight and MaxWeight.
So it should have been like this
AND Minweight=1000
AND MaxWeight=4999

As the min weight and service speed were a composite key and uniquely identify a row would it be this:

AND Minweight=1000
Original post by Maths2_5
As the min weight and service speed were a composite key and uniquely identify a row would it be this:

AND Minweight=1000

agree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending