The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by offhegoes
Someone posted an opinion on a forum? And didn't back it up to your satisfaction? Wow, that's got to be a crime, surely?

I actually disagree with his opinion, but I have an even greater distaste for people who can't accept that someone else has a different opinion. You can't even accept that it is an opinion - incredible!

Read this and tell me in what way what he expressed "does not even qualify as an opinion".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion
And don't worry, it's not too technical. I could follow it and I'm illiterate.

What exactly are you trying to prove? Even if we accept that it is an opinion, it doesn't mean I can't criticise it. What kind of an idiot defends the notion of voicing one's opinion but not letting others disagree and criticise it?

Please use your brain and stop wasting people's time.

(FYI, Wikipedia is not a reliable source for anything. Just a tip to help with your illiteracy)
Reply 81
Original post by *Stefan*
What exactly are you trying to prove? Even if we accept that it is an opinion, it doesn't mean I can't criticise it. What kind of an idiot defends the notion of voicing one's opinion but not letting others disagree and criticise it?

Please use your brain and stop wasting people's time.

So it is an opinion then?

So far you have, in chronological order:

-objected to the poster not explicitly telling you he was expressing his opinion
-objected that it is actually not even an opinion
-objected that you should be allowed to criticise the opinion that he expressed

And for the record, I'm perfectly happy for you to criticise his opinion. Just try to do it without being a child about it: "That's not an opinion - it's nonsense!"

(FYI, Wikipedia is not a reliable source for anything. Just a tip to help with your illiteracy)

Please feel free to find an alternative source to help you figure out what an opinion is. If you find anything that backs up your assertation, feel free to share it!
Reply 82
Guys keep it civil please :h:
there's a lot wrong with having sex with different guys because u could get pregnant or something and how would ur parents fell knowing there daughter has turned into a slut think of it that way. Plus u might have kids and they might grow up and want to know what u did when u were young and if they knew that u were a slut they might want to be one as well .
Reply 84
So it is an opinion then?

So far you have, in chronological order:

-objected to the poster not explicitly telling you he was expressing his opinion
-objected that it is actually not even an opinion
-objected that you should be allowed to criticise the opinion that he expressed

And for the record, I'm perfectly happy for you to criticise his opinion. Just try to do it without being a child about it: "That's not an opinion - it's nonsense!"

Please feel free to find an alternative source to help you figure out what an opinion is. If you find anything that backs up your assertation, feel free to share it!

You're barely trying. I said "even if we accept that it is an opinion" - which means, since you can't keep up, that you're talking crap even if I accepted your logic.

It is nonsense. There's nothing else to it. It's devoid of any logic. Next time keep your bias to yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
You're barely trying. I said "even if we accept that it is an opinion" - which means, since you can't keep up, that you're talking crap even if I accepted your logic.

It is nonsense. There's nothing else to it. It's devoid of any logic. Next time keep your bias to yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't use the word logic if you don't yet understand the word opinion :wink:
Reply 86
Don't use the word logic
if you don't yet understand the word opinion :wink:

That's funny you should say... :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aliyah2016x
there's a lot wrong with having sex with different guys because u could get pregnant or something and how would ur parents fell knowing there daughter has turned into a slut think of it that way. Plus u might have kids and they might grow up and want to know what u did when u were young and if they knew that u were a slut they might want to be one as well .

A) Contraception exists. It has for some time and it's this magic thing that stops pregnancy (and diseases). I suggest you look it up.

B) I don't see how "You would be a slut" answers the question "What is wrong with being a slut". I imagine many parents would trust their children to run their own sex lives and respect their choices provided they are being safe.

Although I would note, despite my first point, that no contraception is 100% effective and obviously the more people you roll the dice with the more likely you are to get a poor roll.
Original post by Anonymous
Genuine question. What's wrong with someone sleeping with a different person every night or getting off with several people on a night out? As long as you're not in a relationship, contracting STD's or getting pregnant, I don't really understand the problem in society with someone just having fun (and being safe).

I realise not many people actually do this, I don't think I could do this purely because we've always sort of been told this is wrong and ****gy and immature and people will judge you for it. But why? Just had this thought earlier and can't seem to answer it myself, opinions people??

p.s. goes for guys as well as girls

It's not even to make love to someone or to express your love in physical ways. Sex only was used to procreate and now it's just not used for either reasons.
Reply 89
That's funny you should say... :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tell me, as I've already asked you to do, with reference to the definition of an opinion, why what he said was not an opinion?
Reply 90
Tell me, as I've already asked you to do, with reference to the definition of an opinion, why what he said was not an opinion?

It was a fallacy - an appeal to common practice specifically. Can't believe I actually had to spell it out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 91
It was a fallacy - an appeal to common practice specifically. Can't believe I actually had to spell it out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is no requirement for an opinion to be based on arguments that you agree with or evidence that you personally view as valid. If someone believed it was wrong because that is what their religion teaches them, then that is their opinion. If someone believes it is wrong because it goes against what, in their experience, "decent" behaviour is then that is their opinion.

If the post you are referring to had been expanded into an attempt to present an argument using an appeal to common practice then you would have justification in saying that their argument lacks rigor. However to try and assert that the poster mentioning their view on the matter is not an opinion is just wrong.
Reply 92
There is no requirement for an opinion to be based on arguments that you agree with or evidence that you personally view as valid. If someone believed it was wrong because that is what their religion teaches them, then that is their opinion. If someone believes it is wrong because it goes against what, in their experience, "decent" behaviour is then that is their opinion.

If the post you are referring to had been expanded into an attempt to present an argument using an appeal to common practice then you would have justification in saying that their argument lacks rigor. However to try and assert that the poster mentioning their view on the matter is not an opinion is just wrong.

Seriously, I can't be bothered with this anymore. All you do at this point is offer knee jerking reactions which are completely out of topic, and which I have proved incorrect.

Whether it is actually an opinion or not is immaterial - it's still a load of crap.

End of.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 93
I would view as a teacher, maybe your afraid you would not measure up.
I don’t see what’s wrong with it
If a man sleeps with multiple women it’s accepted and even almost encouraged
If a woman does it she is an utter disgrace to the whole entire human race and should die in a hole.
So if men are expected to sleep around, but women aren’t, who r men supposed to sleep with? It’s basically society telling men to **** themselves
Sex is about intimacy and should be with a person you love. Sex is more than just a physical thing. Sex is not a transaction. Evolutionary it means, 'i wanna reproduce with you'. If you sleep around with random people who you don't even know, let alone love, then what does it even mean? You won't feel a special intimacy with future boy/girlfriends anymore.

Why is sexual assault more traumatizing than other forms of assault? What does that say about sex itself? Idk how else to put it. That's why you can complicate relationships and emotions if you have sex with random persons.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 96
yes but if a man had more then 15 relationships is that not the same he is a slut ?????
Telegany theory applys to humans

Latest

Trending

Trending