The Student Room Group

Is prison the correct punishment for rape?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Brokensteps
Sure, if the person is a convicted rapist who seems to not give a ****/ done it multiple times, then yeah. They clearly cant control their urges, and need to be stopped. Its not really a punishment in that case though..

However, if a person gets into a situation where it happened to be rape, as in he got a mixed signal, or just got confused, then even a long prison sentence is harsh.

Lots of people grow up thinking that you have to be the "dominant male" to "get the girl". Its why communities like theredpill exist.

The fact that so many girls swoon over 50shades doesnt really help

If you are unable to read signals from another human to the point where you rape them, then you are not fit for intimate social relations. You are responsible for knowing your intellectual limits, if you are not capable of that, then avoid such situations.

If you think oh this girl reads 50 Shades therefore she is asking to be raped, just don't interact with real people.
(edited 7 years ago)
Prison as a system for punishment is stupid. Rehabilitation is the way to fix things properly.

A rapist is either mentally challenged or unaware of what they did. If theyre psychopaths/sociopaths and are unaware then they belong in a mental health clinic, where they can be handled properly. If they are unaware of the damage they do they need to be rehabilitated.

Kinda similar to parenting. We need to educate people not punish them and use fear.

What what?

A rapist is either mentally challenged or unaware of what they did? Are you actually serious? Did you honestly just say that rapes are only commited by those with special needs?

This is the single most hilarious thing I've read all day. Cheers.

On a side note, psychopaths are perfectly aware of their actions and the consequences of their actions. They just don't give a toss.
Original post by Twinpeaks
What what?

A rapist is either mentally challenged or unaware of what they did? Are you actually serious? Did you honestly just say that rapes are only commited by those with special needs?

This is the single most hilarious thing I've read all day. Cheers.

On a side note, psychopaths are perfectly aware of their actions and the consequences of their actions. They just don't give a toss.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathy

Someone who could justify raping someone without feeling remorse is either too stupid to realise, or is mentally ill.

Yes, psychopaths dont give a toss, because they arent as empathetic as normal people. They only see numbers. A challenge even.

I wouldnt expect a mentally stable person to rape someone, but maybe im just hoping humans are better than they actually are so I dont loose my last bit of faith in humanity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathy

Someone who could justify raping someone without feeling remorse is either too stupid to realise, or is mentally ill.

Yes, psychopaths dont give a toss, because they arent as empathetic as normal people. They only see numbers. A challenge even.

I wouldnt expect a mentally stable person to rape someone, but maybe im just hoping humans are better than they actually are so I dont loose my last bit of faith in humanity.

Can I ask why you've linked me to a wiki article on psychopathy? I have studied psychopathy at degree level?

I don't disagree with you, but you simply did not say "only those with no remorse for commiting rape are mentally challenged/ mentally ill."

Instead you just said "a rapist is either mentally challenged or unaware of what they did." None of that relates to remorse. That sentence simply states that only those with mental retardation or a mental illness rendering them unaware of their actions are capable of rape. Which isn't the case.

The precise point of Psychopaths and some rapists though is that they are perfectly aware of their action and of rape itself, but don't feel remorse. With psychopathy it's not about lack of awareness.

I think a fair amount of rapists who fail to show remorse wouldn't meet diagnostic criteria for a mental disorder. Think of Brock Turner, convicted of attempted rape. He wouldn't have met a diagnosis for a mental disorder, yet he showed absolute no remorse whatsoever.

Although it is fair to say that a significant proportion of rapists who don't show remorse probably do meet criteria for mental illness. But not all of them.
Original post by Craig David
Silly post. Majority of rape claims are fake, however men aren't valued so why not make them suffer because of a lying woman all in the name of looking life a warrior of peace. When instead you are even worse than those rapists as you like punishing innocent people in order to make up for the bad ones, why don't you hand yourself in first and br our example?

One the last note the blatant sexism cannot be overlooked "Yeah these rapists, chop their dicks off." Then saying "Ohh man or woman it doesn't matter rapists are rapists" only to cover your back. All I can see is that the assumption that all rapists are male in sexists in itself and that women are even worse sexual predators than men as they known to have relationships with minor, they are only good at hiding their tracks better and they probably aren't that scared as the justice system is non-existent for females anyways.

Majority? Really?

Look at the Stanford rapist, he was given 6 months because his life was deemed too valuable to ruin even though he'd ruined some poor girls life with his actions. He was deemed a great member of society who's future was more important than a woman's.

You sound like a woman hating loser who's been rejected one too many times.
Original post by Craig David
Silly post. Majority of rape claims are fake, .

Anything to back this up or did you just make it up?
Why everyone just focuses on punishment for rape? There are many offences that are way worse than that.
Original post by bethwalker85
Majority? Really?

Look at the Stanford rapist, he was given 6 months because his life was deemed too valuable to ruin even though he'd ruined some poor girls life with his actions. He was deemed a great member of society who's future was more important than a woman's.

You sound like a woman hating loser who's been rejected one too many times.

He should not have been given even that. A Stanford graduate who has extremely rich parents will probably pay off more than enough in taxes in the future to compensate for what he had done. Career criminals and repeat offenders should get locked up immediately, but if it is a person of such a high value they should be given a chance.
Rehabilitation is the best solution.
If they cant be fixed, then prison is gonna be the only option!
Reply 29
Should be left up to the person who was raped to decide.
Original post by ZuluK
Should be left up to the person who was raped to decide.

That's not very objective though. An independent person should decide the sentence based on whether violence was used, extent of physical and psychological trauma etc. Rape in itself does not seems to be serious enough for an offender to receive a sentence exceeding few months in prison. However, infliction of serious bodily harm whether it's physical or psychological during the course of rape should constitute to an offence deserving more serious punishment.
Original post by Zargabaath
Prison is perfectly acceptable, rehabilitation should also be the main goal to avoid repeat offenders

rehabilitation doesn't work , having no penis does work though.
Yeah I understand.

Just meant that something has to be wrong mentally with people who lack that much empathy. Disregarding human emotions that much and seeing people as just assets, fleshlights even, isn't what you should consider normal.

Lacking remorse either means you are a psychopath /sociopath, or don't understand the consequences.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by qwertypoiop
That's not very objective though. An independent person should decide the sentence based on whether violence was used, extent of physical and psychological trauma etc. Rape in itself does not seems to be serious enough for an offender to receive a sentence exceeding few months in prison. However, infliction of serious bodily harm whether it's physical or psychological during the course of rape should constitute to an offence deserving more serious punishment.

And who better to know and judge than the person who was raped? Can a judge see the psychological impacts? Or does the rape have to be physically seen for the rapist to get more months? Yes, there are fake claims being made but that doesn't mean the real ones are overturned.

If a person has little to no bruising, is too weak to fight back or has no recollection of the rape due to drugs, does that mean the rapist should be let off free?
Reply 34
Original post by TSR Mustafa
rehabilitation doesn't work , having no penis does work though.

This ^

If the rape can be proved then why not?
Original post by ZuluK
This ^

If the rape can be proved then why not?

+1

Also I don't want rapists integrated back into society, I don't care if they're supposedly rehabilitated, the fact they did that to someone else sickens me
Original post by ODES_PDES
I support much stiffer sentences but I am not sure if cutting their privates is appropriate

obviously, that would turn a violent person into a full-blown lunatic with nothing to lose
Reply 37
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
+1

Also I don't want rapists integrated back into society, I don't care if they're supposedly rehabilitated, the fact they did that to someone else sickens me

People who believe in rehabilitation believe people can change or learn remorse. People can't change who they are, they'll just be good at saying what society wants them to think and they feel bad for being caught.

Spoiler

Original post by ZuluK
People who believe in rehabilitation believe people can change or learn remorse. People can't change who they are, they'll just be good at saying what society wants them to think and they feel bad for being caught.

Spoiler

I agree, rehabilitation is nonsense. To play devil's advocate even if it were real I don't care, rapists need to be kept away from society until they die.
Rehabilitation has a simply awful success rate, attempts often resulting in another victim.

Also, should individuals who commit such as heinous crime be given a second chance. I think not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending