The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Chemistry Exams -6CH04 (14th June) and 6CH05 (22nd June) Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Anyone know how the machine that marks the multiple choice works, worried it wont pick up on my crosses because my pen had started to die
Reply 2301
Original post by crimson1234
Anyone know how the machine that marks the multiple choice works, worried it wont pick up on my crosses because my pen had started to die

As long as your crosses have enough contrast against the white paper the optical mark recognition software will pick it up, and I imagine it's smart enough to send it for human review if it's uncertain.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by scrlk
As long as your crosses have enough contrast against the white paper the optical mark recognition software will pick it up, and I imagine it's smart enough to send it for human review if it's uncertain.

How the hell does that work then when you cross one out? I made a mistake in physics so I had to cross it out and tick another box, I even circled the box. Also, my pen blotted one of the boxes (the one I chose) in one of the MCQs, is that a problem?
Original post by JoeyTr
I really do hope you're right, but it's been 80 for a* twice before and I don't see this being any different. But I do hope you're right.

The exam felt easy but it was not that trivial after looking back, compared to June 15 which was just a flurry of 1 mark questions with a few tricky ones, we got quite a few high mark questions and loads of trick ones also.

Maybe 76-77 for A* don't really see it being 80 but it could very well be.
Reply 2304
Original post by oShahpo
How the hell does that work then when you cross one out? I made a mistake in physics so I had to cross it out and tick another box, I even circled the box. Also, my pen blotted one of the boxes (the one I chose) in one of the MCQs, is that a problem?

Was this AQA Unit 4 the other day? The MCQ sheet had instructions on the back on how to change your answer.

I'm not 100% sure that Edexcel uses automated marking in their MCQs as a friend had one of his correct answers marked as wrong (even though it was the only answer selected) so it could still be marked by a human.
Original post by scrlk

Thanks
what did everyone write for the vanadium 5 mark question at the begginging when it was asking for its oxidation state at the end of the reaction ?????//
I was a bit stupid in the 5 marker and put these steps:

Reflux: KCr2O7 to make carboxylic acid intermediate

HCL (I know that's wrong, it's PCl5) to make Acyl Chloride intermediate

NH3 to made amide product

Would I get 2 marks or get the third step right?
Original post by xdaryaxx
what did everyone write for the vanadium 5 mark question at the begginging when it was asking for its oxidation state at the end of the reaction ?????//

Final is +4
I wrote equation of reduction of +5 to +4 and calculated E cell. It was positive.
Then wrote equation of proposed reduction of +4 to +3 and calculated E cell but it was negative. Therefore it is +4
For the 5 mark percentage by mass question how many significant figures did it ask for? I'm overthinking and worrying I've lost a stupid mark hahah
I already asked this at the start but the discussion was moving so fast it was probably missed.

What did you guys write for the very last 2 marker about the cations and anions?
Original post by kirst26
For the 5 mark percentage by mass question how many significant figures did it ask for? I'm overthinking and worrying I've lost a stupid mark hahah

They didn't ask iirc. I hope not anyway.
Original post by melanin101
I already asked this at the start but the discussion was moving so fast it was probably missed.

What did you guys write for the very last 2 marker about the cations and anions?

I wrote COO- and NH3+ for all of those groups but I really am not sure

the question didnt specify
Was ethanoyl chloride the answer to anything?i remember writing it down but no one here's mentioned it
Original post by PythagorasRex
Was ethanoyl chloride the answer to anything?i remember writing it down but no one here's mentioned it

Yeah, it was conversion from amine or sth
Original post by kevinchan1
I was a bit stupid in the 5 marker and put these steps:

Reflux: KCr2O7 to make carboxylic acid intermediate

HCL (I know that's wrong, it's PCl5) to make Acyl Chloride intermediate

NH3 to made amide product

Would I get 2 marks or get the third step right?

The question didn't specify conditions just reagents and intermediates.

So the marks will be,
Excess K2Cr2O7
Dilute H2SO4 (1)
Benzoic Acid Intermediete (1)
Add PCl5 (1)
Benzoyl Chloride Intermediete (1)
Add NH3 (1)
Original post by C0balt
I wrote COO- and NH3+ for all of those groups but I really am not sure

I'm not sure either but I did this:

Amino acid = NH3+[Nonsense part of molecule]COOH
Acid: [Nonsense part of molecule]COO-

So basically the amino acid was a zwitterion that got protonated by the carboxylic acid. (<-- can that even happen?)

----

What I'm not sure about was if you were meant to put them together (like a salt) or write both anion and cation separately. I chose the latter.

Sorry if it looks like I don't know what I'm talking about, I didn't even know what zwitterions were until yesterday afternoon where I had to learn all of transition metals, arenes, nitrogen chem and organic analysis ;__; God bless Geroge Facer and chem revise loool
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm not sure either but I did this:

Amino acid = NH3+[Nonsense part of molecule]COOH
Acid: [Nonsense part of molecule]COO-

So basically the amino acid was a zwitterion that got protonated by the carboxylic acid.

----

What I'm not sure about was if you were meant to put them together (like a salt) or write both anion and cation separately. I chose the latter.

Sorry if it looks like I don't know what I'm talking about, I didn't even know what zwitterions were until yesterday afternoon where I had to learn transition metals, arenes, nitrogen chem and organic analysis. God bless Geroge Facer and chem revise loool

I drew separately from the way they said to draw cation and anion.
Which amine group did you protonate though?
Original post by DesignPredator
The question didn't specify conditions just reagents and intermediates.

So the marks will be,
Excess K2Cr2O7
Dilute H2SO4 (1)
Benzoic Acid Intermediete (1)
Add PCl5 (1)
Benzoyl Chloride Intermediete (1)
Add NH3 (1)

Wtf is wrong with me I wrote phenyl methanoic acid instead of benzoic acid and phenyl methanoyl chloride instead of benzoyl chloride 😩 Just didn't clock that they're the same as benzoic acid and benzoyl chloride lol fml

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending