The Student Room Group

Keeping in touch with teachers?

N.B. Please don't move this as I want to be anonymous and stuff!

So basically I'm leaving 6th form in a few weeks and I want to keep in touch with 2 of my teachers because they've been great and super helpful and stuff and we get on well too. But I'm kind of awkward and idk how to ask them? I'm pretty sure one is going to say no as well, but I don't mind. I'm getting both of them a gift to say thanks so maybe when I give them that I can ask? And if we did keep in touch, how does that work? I know that sounds really dumb but would I email or call them once in a while etc?

Thanks TSR!
Just ask its perfectly fine. Just ask them if it would ne ok if you kept in touch as you have found their guidance and support so helpful.
Depends how well you get on. E-mail is non intrusive, you need to be more sure about phoning as that is more persobal, but they may be fine with it.
In an age where communication is so easy over the internet it shouldn't be too much of a problem. They will probably give you their email but don't expect a phone number or anything. And try not to make it too awkward when asking , like as you're giving the gifts just be like "hey sir/miss I'd love to stay in contact with you do you think its possible or something?" and I'm sure they'd give an email :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Just ask its perfectly fine. Just ask them if it would ne ok if you kept in touch as you have found their guidance and support so helpful.
Depends how well you get on. E-mail is non intrusive, you need to be more sure about phoning as that is more persobal, but they may be fine with it.

Yeah, we get on really well actually, they've helped me pastorally a lot as well as academically :smile: thank you
Reply 4
Original post by Mugiiwara
In an age where communication is so easy over the internet it shouldn't be too much of a problem. They will probably give you their email but don't expect a phone number or anything. And try not to make it too awkward when asking , like as you're giving the gifts just be like "hey sir/miss I'd love to stay in contact with you do you think its possible or something?" and I'm sure they'd give an email :smile:

Oh ok thank you I'm weirdly nervous about it lol
Original post by Anonymous
Oh ok thank you I'm weirdly nervous about it lol

Haha I mean I can see why, its not like this is something you always ask you're teacher but I'm sure it'll be fine :smile: Just out of curiosity are you the only one that's going to stay in contact or do you have friends or something planning the same?
Reply 6
Original post by Mugiiwara
Haha I mean I can see why, its not like this is something you always ask you're teacher but I'm sure it'll be fine :smile: Just out of curiosity are you the only one that's going to stay in contact or do you have friends or something planning the same?

I think friends are keeping in touch with other teachers but I think I am the only one to ask these 2 like I said they helped me pastorally and stuff so yeah probably just me which makes me even more nervous ahaha :colondollar:
Reply 7
Anyone else been in the same situation and can give me some advice ha ha?
I became very close to my teachers this year and servers have taught me for six years solid. (Im in Scotland so we have sixth year rather than sixth form) and so I bought flowers for two of them along with the rest of my class. my advanced higher French teacher taught just me so I bought her a candle set I knew she'd like and I got my psychology teacher (who also managed the debate club) a gift with my debate partner. Getting the whole class involved is a good idea because that way no one is feeling too much pressure (my gran knows a florist so we chipped in around £3 each to get a really nice bunch of flowers and used the rest of the cash to get other stuff like cards) and we al felt included in the process

My French teacher and my psychology teacher/debate coach have my email address and both asked for it. I gave my email to other teachers too but I communicate with them via my fifth year friends who are still in school. I've popped in to see them a few times too and they've all been delighted to see me back. Chances are if you go in to see them they'll be happy to see you again and will be pretty accommodating
Anyone else been in the same situation and can give me some advice ha ha?

yeah! I'm really good friends with my former teachers, as long as they like you too; shouldn't be too awkward! Mention it to them, if they respond well or give you their email; wait a few months after results day and add them on fb or something depending on how they are
N.B. Please don't move this as I want to be anonymous and stuff!

So basically I'm leaving 6th form in a few weeks and I want to keep in touch with 2 of my teachers because they've been great and super helpful and stuff and we get on well too. But I'm kind of awkward and idk how to ask them? I'm pretty sure one is going to say no as well, but I don't mind. I'm getting both of them a gift to say thanks so maybe when I give them that I can ask? And if we did keep in touch, how does that work? I know that sounds really dumb but would I email or call them once in a while etc?

Thanks TSR!

Don't step over that line between professional and personal. Just ask em for a reference or something; don't exploit their kindness with wanting a ...whatever you want, friendship or whatever. If you want to be mentored they kinda have to volunteer.
Original post by TinyPhasma
I became very close to my teachers this year and servers have taught me for six years solid. (Im in Scotland so we have sixth year rather than sixth form) and so I bought flowers for two of them along with the rest of my class. my advanced higher French teacher taught just me so I bought her a candle set I knew she'd like and I got my psychology teacher (who also managed the debate club) a gift with my debate partner. Getting the whole class involved is a good idea because that way no one is feeling too much pressure (my gran knows a florist so we chipped in around £3 each to get a really nice bunch of flowers and used the rest of the cash to get other stuff like cards) and we al felt included in the process

My French teacher and my psychology teacher/debate coach have my email address and both asked for it. I gave my email to other teachers too but I communicate with them via my fifth year friends who are still in school. I've popped in to see them a few times too and they've all been delighted to see me back. Chances are if you go in to see them they'll be happy to see you again and will be pretty accommodating

Aaw that's really nice, our class is small so we agreed to do separate presents actually but thank youuuu
Original post by hopingmedicinae
yeah! I'm really good friends with my former teachers, as long as they like you too; shouldn't be too awkward! Mention it to them, if they respond well or give you their email; wait a few months after results day and add them on fb or something depending on how they are

Thanks, I probably wouldn't add them on FB lol but email sounds good or even letter writing as I find getting post kind of fun ha ha

Quick Reply

Latest