The Student Room Group

The immense stupidity of the young idealistic Remain vote

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 41b
35+ Landowning Men only, I think.

No need to go that far. But people who are old enough to have some actual experience of the outside world and not so easily influenced by peer pressure should be the ones who vote. Most people of my own age still live with their parents, go to school, have never had a full-time job and have no experience of trying to get on the housing ladder (I fall into every single one of those categories myself). Therefore it seems strange to expect us to be able to come up with objective and coherent views on political parties and referendum campaigns.
Original post by JordanL_
You go on about checking facts, but you don't present any.

Maybe the problem is people thinking that they don't need to justify their beliefs because they're old farts.

As opposed to the non-emotional reasons like "GRRR LETS GET OUR SOVEREIGNTY BACK!!"

My post didn't require me to present any facts. The response I gave to the original post was sufficient. Also you are a hypocrite as you are criticising me for not presenting any facts yet you haven't presented any in this response either.

See how that works? Both my original and your current responses didn't require the presenting of facts relating to the campaign. So you are a ****ing idiot, and a hypocrite then.

Also I am 30 years old. I am not an old fart at all. I also never said anyone needs to "justify" their beliefs to anyone as they don't. I live in a free country and have the right to free expression and neither I or anyone else needs to "justify" anything to anyone you ****ing idiot.

What makes you special that you feel I need to "justify" myself to you?

And I find it ironic that your whole post has been to insult, not present any facts and also not justify your points. ****ing hypocrite. You are an idiot. No wonder you want to vote to stay in.
Why are Brexiters so paranoid?

Young people have a greater say, because we will be the ones who will have to deal with the consequences of this referendum. It's about our future, so we should be concerned.

Why is immigration such a big issue?

Immigrants are coming to the UK to boost our economy, and fulfill labour shortages, which help to keep the economy stable. Anyways, David Cameron has a new deal in place to detract benefit cheats, which means that anyone coming from the EU has to leave the country if they can't find any work in six months. I think we should appreciate the immense contribution that immigrants have made. Without immigrants this country would not be where it is today.

The remain side are speaking with fact and logic, and not just merely on emotions. The fact of the matter is that the UK has had the fastest growth in GDP (per head) since being in the EU. The EU gives us a platform to share our ideas, our culture, values and our leadership with other european countries. We are no longer an economic powerhouse, and don't have as much influence as we used to. But, by being in the EU we can become more prosperous and influential in the global arena.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 23
Your point is?
Reply 24
I'll vote for a Brexit when I too have a stable job and financial security. For now I'll vote remain, and not roll the economic dice during what will be the most uncertain period of my life in the foreseeable future.
Stupidity?

Stupid is making a decision based on "facts" that aren't true, when you could check them online in 5 seconds.

Stupid is ignoring everyone of any significance on the planet, and deciding that you know better.

Stupid is criticising economic research based on the principles of researchers, and then telling us how Boris ****ing Johnson is going to save the NHS.

Stupid is thinking that we'll thrive outside the EU now because we did okay before the EU 40 years ago.

Stupid is when you don't say what we said wrong. :wink:

Original post by TimmonaPortella
I see you're following the Sadiq Khan 'very long list' school of rhetoric.

What OP has pointed out isn't the stupid element of the youth vote. That is the platitudes: voting to be in the EU because you want to be 'close to our friends in Europe' and such like.

As Daniel Hannan has pointed out, voting for the EU because you like Europe is like voting for FIFA because you like football. There is no logical nexus there, just woolly, emotional drivel.

That's exactly what he was doing!

And that's a brilliant and apt way to describe it. :wink: Thanks.

He just kept saying "all the experts said no to a Brexit", "all the countries around the world said no" (despite them having their own vested interests) usw. usf.

It was driving me nuts! :angry:
What exactly is idealistic about being concerned about the economic impact of leaving?
Original post by AnnieGakusei
Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. Speaking as an 18-year-old school leaver, you have no idea how many times I've been childishly insulted by my classmates regarding this whole EU referendum thing. "Oh, you wanna vote Leave? What are you, a racist?" "Well Leave supporters are just stupid" (two actual quotes there, with no accompanying facts to back them up which renders them pretty much meaningless). Add to that the fact I never even confirmed my inclinations - I was merely playing devil's advocate for the other side - and it just makes my generation seem incredibly immature. "Disowning" a friend simply because they voted differently from you? Yeah, right. Grow up.

I don't have a problem with people who think differently, nor am I biased in favour of those who think the same way. In fact, one of the people I get most annoyed with is a girl in my year who's voting Leave tomorrow just because her father is. What makes me furious is when young people are blind to argument and resort to ad hominems to "win" their case. I fence-sat for ages, swinging from one position to the other, before I actually came up with my own decision, yet it feels to me that everyone else is voting Remain because it's "cool" to do so.

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm only just 18 and glad to be finally exercising my democratic right, I'd be advocating an increase in the voting age to 21. Having experienced what some young people are like, there is absolutely no way I would ever support a lowering of the voting age to 16.

Exactly. They are morons with absolutely no critical thinking skills. Even if you are racist what bearing does that have on the fact that the EU is damaging? Does a fact cease to become a fact simply because a racist agrees with it.

Your other point is spot on also. All these morons who vote a specific way because a celebrity does or someone else does are evidence of why democracy is a flawed system. My mother is a nurse my sister is a nurse and my other sister is a pathologist yet their three votes on the NHS can be made redundant if three idiots vote the opposite to them simply because Bob Geldof or some celebrity says they should.
Original post by stephenb1608
Exactly. They are morons. It is unbelievable just how dumb and stupid the young are today. Absolutely no critical thinking skills at all. This is why the SNP lowered the voting age prior to the referendum in Scotland to 16 as they knew that 16 and 17 year olds are gullible, naive and too lazy to check facts. They simply believe what they want to believe and that is their position.

It absolutely boils my blood how so many young people think they are absolutely correct and anyone who disagrees with them is (insert insult here) despite the fact they are basically always wrong and know so little of the realities of life.

Getting out of the EU is the best thing we could ever do. I'm sure we'll get out eventually. Either in this referendum or in a few years when Britain gets worse and worse until people can't take it anymore.

The irony is real lmao
Original post by democracyforum
They wear a Che Guevera t shirt

Believe a utopia is going to happen next week, next month maybe

Believe the EU is a dream, a vision, "creating something" that cannot be defined

I'm pretty sure the EU exists.

Bono, Izzard , Geldof, McCartney, Bill Gates support it. Those type of people.

And Katie Hopkins, Giles Fraser, George Galloway and other crappy B listers support Out.

Never worked a day in their life on a farm, building site or manual labour.

And Boris and Farage have? It will be impossible for the IN side to win without working class support, so bare that in mind if they do. Whilst working class people are by the polls more inclined to vote brexit it still leaves roughly a third voting remain.

Absolutely hate competition and inequality. Think they can "solve " them

Bill Gates is the richest man on the planet. This is the dumbest post I've seen today.
Exactly. They are morons. It is unbelievable just how dumb and stupid the young are today. Absolutely no critical thinking skills at all. This is why the SNP lowered the voting age prior to the referendum in Scotland to 16 as they knew that 16 and 17 year olds are gullible, naive and too lazy to check facts. They simply believe what they want to believe and that is their position.

It absolutely boils my blood how so many young people think they are absolutely correct and anyone who disagrees with them is (insert insult here) despite the fact they are basically always wrong and know so little of the realities of life.

Getting out of the EU is the best thing we could ever do. I'm sure we'll get out eventually. Either in this referendum or in a few years when Britain gets worse and worse until people can't take it anymore.

So young people are always wrong if they disagree with you?
Lol

Voting remain

Not sorry
Exactly. They are morons with absolutely no critical thinking skills. Even if you are racist what bearing does that have on the fact that the EU is damaging? Does a fact cease to become a fact simply because a racist agrees with it.

Your other point is spot on also. All these morons who vote a specific way because a celebrity does or someone else does are evidence of why democracy is a flawed system. My mother is a nurse my sister is a nurse and my other sister is a pathologist yet their three votes on the NHS can be made redundant if three idiots vote the opposite to them simply because Bob Geldof or some celebrity says they should.

So maybe, being a wise old sage, you can explain to us how leaving the EU is going to help the NHS?
My post didn't require me to present any facts. The response I gave to the original post was sufficient. Also you are a hypocrite as you are criticising me for not presenting any facts yet you haven't presented any in this response either.

See how that works? Both my original and your current responses didn't require the presenting of facts relating to the campaign. So you are a ****ing idiot, and a hypocrite then.

Also I am 30 years old. I am not an old fart at all. I also never said anyone needs to "justify" their beliefs to anyone as they don't. I live in a free country and have the right to free expression and neither I or anyone else needs to "justify" anything to anyone you ****ing idiot.

What makes you special that you feel I need to "justify" myself to you?

And I find it ironic that your whole post has been to insult, not present any facts and also not justify your points. ****ing hypocrite. You are an idiot. No wonder you want to vote to stay in.

"****ing hypocrite"

"****ing idiot"

"ironic that your whole post has been to insult"

Lmao.

I also never said anyone needs to "justify" their beliefs to anyone as they don't. I live in a free country and have the right to free expression and neither I or anyone else needs to "justify" anything to anyone you ****ing idiot.

And here's our problem. Because you have a right to free expression, you don't need to justify your beliefs. You can talk out of your arse, do no research whatsoever, have no idea what you're talking about, but your ridiculous opinion is worth as much as that of someone that actually does know what they're talking about.

You have a right to form stupid opinions, I have a right to tell you when you're full of ****.
haha what a idiot that girl is. these people only care about their own self interests and will claim to hate banks and support workers rights and deride you when you say you want a career in law or financial services or vote tory yet who is the one voting for Europe?? hint, it aint me. the youth have no backbone and are more concerned about being able to fly visa free, they have no conviction and spend their days watching braindead tv like the kardashians etc. what a shame this is what has happened to a once proud nation. #voteleave and restore that sense of pride and dignity in the country and person
Original post by neal95
haha what a idiot that girl is. these people only care about their own self interests and will claim to hate banks and support workers rights and deride you when you say you want a career in law or financial services or vote tory yet who is the one voting for Europe?? hint, it aint me. the youth have no backbone and are more concerned about being able to fly visa free, they have no conviction and spend their days watching braindead tv like the kardashians etc. what a shame this is what has happened to a once proud nation. #voteleave and restore that sense of pride and dignity in the country and person

Brexiteers showing their true colours in the face of defeat. Disgusting.
Original post by neal95

Sorry, who's the idiot?

PS; an* idiot
Original post by Davij038
Bill Gates is the richest man on the planet. This is the dumbest post I've seen today.

Haha, dumbest post of all time possibly?

Never mind the fact that he's also invested over a billion dollars into this country and thinks a Brexit will make future investment here less attractive.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-bill-gates-says-brexit-would-make-britain-significantly-less-attractive-a7086906.html
Brexiteers showing their true colours in the face of defeat. Disgusting.

Original post by A-LJLB
Sorry, who's the idiot?

PS; an* idiot

typical remainers showing their utter contempt for people who think differently to them. you people are the definition of bigoted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending