The Student Room Group

Trading blocs

Disclaimer:
- I am not implying that trading blocs constitute the only economic argument regarding the EU
- I am not implying that the argument for either Remain or Leave is purely economic

I have seen many people imply and state that other countries such as the USA, India and China are not part of trade blocs. The truth is that free trade blocs exist all over the world and that the vast majority of major and emerging economies function as part of a trade bloc. I find it odd that whilst the rest of the world is moving towards more regional free trade opportunities, the UK seeks to abandon this.

ASEAN-China Free Trade Area: Brunei Darussalem; Burma; Cambodia; Indonesia; Laos; Malaysia; Philippines; Singapore; Thailand; Vietnam; China

ASEAN-India Free Trade Area: ASEAN countries + India

North American Free Trade Area: Canada; USA: Mexico

MERCOSUR: Full members = Bolivia; Chile; Peru; Colombia; Ecuador; Suriname

Trans-Pacific Partnership (not yet in effect; signed this year): USA; Brunei; Chile; Australia; New Zealand; Singapore; Canada; Japan; Malaysia; Peru; Mexico and Vietnam

There are also six in Africa and various others, but cba to list.

My point is that there are free trade areas all over the world, a fact that for some reason has totally evaded the Brexit argument. I cannot really understand how people think that Britain is better outside a trading bloc. I mean, in the event of a Brexit, we will most likely join the EEA in order to be part of a trading bloc. One of the terms of being part of the EEA is free movement of people.. and so immigration (which is a main argument for Brexit) is sort of redundant. European migrants will still freely be able to migrate to the UK?

Also, we'll have two years to create and perfect trade agreements. What tools do we have to approach other trading blocs and countries that function within these trading blocs as an isolated country in order to receive as low tariffs as possible and preferential consideration? Especially as we do not make anything and the banks will relocate.

In the event of a Brexit, how would the immigration issue be addressed should we join the EEA?

I do not know an overwhelming amount about this and would be interested in hearing what other people would say.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Presumably a Brexiteer would claim that being part of the EEA would allow Britain access to high skilled European migrants.
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
Presumably a Brexiteer would claim that being part of the EEA would allow Britain access to high skilled European migrants.

We are already part of the EEA. We already have access to high skilled migrants.
Original post by IFoundWonderland
We are already part of the EEA. We already have access to high skilled migrants.

To put it bluntly. Brexiteers don't want non-White refugees.

We have a fertility rate of 1.9. Replacement fertility is 2.1.

We need to get our migrants from somewhere if we are to sustain an ageing population.

If we are not getting our migrants from Europe, we will likely source them from Commonwealth countries such as Pakistan and India.

We need to get our migrants from somewhere if we are to sustain an ageing population.

If we are not getting our migrants from Europe, we will likely source them from Commonwealth countries such as Pakistan and India.

I never said they're logical or have thought any of this through.
How did I know this was her thread? She just wants everyone to know she knows what trading blocs are because no one took her seriously the 1st time in the other thread when she mentioned it.

Too bad I can't see the OP. Surely it's insightful.

Lol do you understand the brexiters don't want to be in EU...which is majority white people...

oh dear....:s-smilie: looks like someone isn't thinking things through themselves...
I never said they're logical or have thought any of this through.

(Original post by IFoundWonderland)

And lol at her saying this!!! I only see her posts if someone quotes her but

you call brexiters racist, eh...lol looks like someone just wants to find a way to prevent Asians from coming over!!!! :ahee: Ironic!!!
Original post by 0to100

Lol do you understand the brexiters don't want to be in EU...which is majority white people...

oh dear....:s-smilie: looks like someone isn't thinking things through themselves...

Then why has the majority of the pro-Brexit rhetorical been based around demonising refugees who were allowed into Germany?
Then why has the majority of the pro-Brexit rhetorical been based around demonising refugees who were allowed into Germany?

I'll wait for you to respond to my other post because I didn't write it for nothing, then I promise to address this. Just don't wanna detour.
So here's the undertone to remain "democracy":

"If we stay in Eu

we get more European migrants

not the Asians ones."

lol brilliant. Just...brilliant. :nah: all along calling Brexiters racist but this their primary focus. Fantastic whoever falls for it, particularly any Asian remainers loool
Original post by 0to100
I'll wait for you to respond to my other post because I didn't write it for nothing, then I promise to address this. Just don't wanna detour.

Fantastic a meme. Looks like intelligent people who really want to discuss facts in a productive, mature manner have arrived. :rolleyes:

Like I said:

Original post by 0to100

"If we stay in Eu

not the Asians ones."

lol brilliant. Just...brilliant. :nah: all along calling Brexiters racist but this their primary focus. Fantastic whoever falls for it, particularly any Asian remainers loool
Original post by 0to100
Fantastic a meme. Looks like intelligent people who really want to discuss facts in a productive, mature manner have arrived. :rolleyes:

Like I said:

This is frustrating as hell, the main focus of the Brexit campaign has been to create fear over non-White refugees allowed into Germany, claiming we need to leave the EU to prevent them coming here. Not every person inside Europe is White.
Original post by 0to100

"If we stay in Eu

not the Asians ones."

Whilst I thoroughly enjoy being on your ignore list because I implied you aren't capable of understanding the Biff and Chip books, for others who might read this:

Me saying that there will be migrants from Pakistan and India was in response to Gora The Explora saying that Brexiters do not want non-White immigration. I was pointing out the irony.
I see Free Trade Areas as a positive aspect of international relations as a whole (which is why until recently I would have been pro-remain); I'm very curious what rules/regulations other FTAs have compared to the EU.
Some people think UK is now like a big bird...being strong enough to fly alone through the thunderstorm . This bird doesn't like flying with other birds. This bird wants the independence day...the imaginary day...far away from other living beings.

How will this big bird survive in the wild wild world? Really I wonder.

1466636571762.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by skunkboy
Some people think UK is now like a big bird...being strong enough to fly alone through the thunderstorm . This bird doesn't like flying with other birds. This bird wants the independence day...the imaginary day...far away from other living beings.

How will this big bird survive in the wild wild world? Really I wonder.

1466636571762.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

This really made me laugh :rofl:

Brb, watching the UK crumble around us.
Original post by Tempest II
I see Free Trade Areas as a positive aspect of international relations as a whole (which is why until recently I would have been pro-remain); I'm very curious what rules/regulations other FTAs have compared to the EU.

They're not as involved as the EU and often function to reduce regional disparities.
The truth is that free trade blocs exist all over the world

If the EU was simply a trading bloc, the referendum would be a walkover for Remain. It is because it has expanded into a federal superstate that many of us object

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending