The Student Room Group

GCSE retake puts me at a week's disadvantage with clearing

Wondering if anyone else is in this situation? Was informed last week that my GCSE Maths retake result will be a week after A Level results. To be honest I'd not thought about the results day dates; I've been far too preoccupied with my course. Now I'm thinking I may be screwed if I fail to meet my uni offer, because I didn't put an insurance, as I didn't want to go to any of the unis I got offers from but one. I figured I could find a uni place through clearing if I didn't meet my offer, but I didn't think about it much.

Being put at a week's disadvantage seems really unfair. I'm most likely going to exceed my offer in terms of Access Diploma grades, but I think I've failed my Maths GCSE retake. If I hadn't I could go to one of the best universities in the country, or if I'd not needed to resit but I'd missed my Access offer a bit I could probably get into one of the best unis in the country through clearing. But I'm worried that clearing places will get taken and I'll be stuck with a mediocre university. :|
Original post by greenmang0
Wondering if anyone else is in this situation? Was informed last week that my GCSE Maths retake result will be a week after A Level results. To be honest I'd not thought about the results day dates; I've been far too preoccupied with my course. Now I'm thinking I may be screwed if I fail to meet my uni offer, because I didn't put an insurance, as I didn't want to go to any of the unis I got offers from but one. I figured I could find a uni place through clearing if I didn't meet my offer, but I didn't think about it much.

Being put at a week's disadvantage seems really unfair. I'm most likely going to exceed my offer in terms of Access Diploma grades, but I think I've failed my Maths GCSE retake. If I hadn't I could go to one of the best universities in the country, or if I'd not needed to resit but I'd missed my Access offer a bit I could probably get into one of the best unis in the country through clearing. But I'm worried that clearing places will get taken and I'll be stuck with a mediocre university. :|

I'm afraid there's nothing you can do in your situation apart from keep your fingers crossed, there's always a gap year if you miss out in clearing, rather than making a rash decision.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
I'm afraid there's nothing you can do in your situation apart from keep your fingers crossed, there's always a gap year if you miss out in clearing, rather than making a rash decision.

True, but I'm 21, I think I've taken enough gap years now. :tongue:
True, but I'm 21, I think I've taken enough gap years now. :tongue:

I shall keep my fingers crossed for you, there can be courses left the week after but its normally depending on what happens each year whether or not a certain course will still be in it.
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
I shall keep my fingers crossed for you, there can be courses left the week after but its normally depending on what happens each year whether or not a certain course will still be in it.

Do you have any idea how quickly places get taken up? Dunno if I could email a uni in advance of my GCSE result telling them my situation if I get my Access results and they've far exceeded the standard offer? :confused: We get our results informally in July.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Do you have any idea how quickly places get taken up? Dunno if I could email a uni in advance of my GCSE result telling them my situation if I get my Access results and they've far exceeded the standard offer? :confused:

Just did a Google and found that one uni is willing to talk to people on A Level results day before they've gotten their GCSE retake results...
Not getting what is really unfair if youve failed then you were never going anywhere even in clearing.
Nothing to stop you opening negotiations with clearing unis although they might require the GCSE maths. Just have to hope for the best and wait and see. Strange that GCSE comes after GCE results.

Well, A level students are already at a disadvantage to, for example IB students in clearing. That's just the way it works, I'm afraid.
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
Not getting what is really unfair if youve failed then you were never going anywhere even in clearing.
Nothing to stop you opening negotiations with clearing unis although they might require the GCSE maths. Just have to hope for the best and wait and see. Strange that GCSE comes after GCE results.

' if youve failed then you were never going anywhere even in clearing.'

I got offers from Exeter and Leeds that didn't include GCSE Maths, so no.
' if youve failed then you were never going anywhere even in clearing.'

I got offers from Exeter and Leeds that didn't include GCSE Maths, so no.

Sorry I missed the point where you said your offer didnt include the need for maths as its not clear.
Original post by 999tigger
Sorry I missed the point where you said your offer didnt include the need for maths as its not clear.

Ah I'm sorry about that. Basically I firmed a uni that wants Maths because I didn't think I'd be happy at the other unis. But I did very well in my Access Diploma.
Ah I'm sorry about that. Basically I firmed a uni that wants Maths because I didn't think I'd be happy at the other unis. But I did very well in my Access Diploma.

What course you applying for

Quick Reply

Latest