The Student Room Group

S1 or M2?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ForestShadow
isnt d1 very hard? thats what everyone in my school thinks? :tongue:

Hard??? You could write in blue pen and theyd still give you an A. You could not turn up for the exam and still pass. Anyone who can't get at least a B in it shouldn't really be doing a level further maths. The lowest grade Ive ever known someone to get in it is a c.
Original post by HopelessMedic
Only need the one and I'm not that dedicated:smile:

Fair enough. If I had to pick one I'd definitely look over the spec of each one first, then decide which one more took my fancy.

In reality though S1 tends to have lower grade boundaries as anyone doing maths can take it. Whereas only people in A2 maths / further maths can do M2. So there is that to consider aswell...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 09craige
Hard??? You could write in blue pen and theyd still give you an A. You could not turn up for the exam and still pass. Anyone who can't get at least a B in it shouldn't really be doing a level further maths. The lowest grade Ive ever known someone to get in it is a c.

I dont do further maths and 90% of the our maths students dont either....we just do the normal maths a level edexcel board
The jump from M1 to M2 is not as significant as the jump from no mechanics to M1. If you enjoyed M1, and if you feel as though you did well-enough to tackle an extension of it, then go for M2. If you don't, do S1. Keep in mind, it's extremely mind-numbing (as the 30 people before me have said)
Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs
The jump from M1 to M2 is not as significant as the jump from no mechanics to M1. If you enjoyed M1, and if you feel as though you did well-enough to tackle an extension of it, then go for M2. If you don't, do S1. Keep in mind, it's extremely mind-numbing (as the 30 people before me have said)

I'm more worried about M2 being hard than being bored of S1, but yeh I suppose the more interesting modules will be easier to study for.
If I was in your situation, I'd pick S1 easily. Learn the small bits of new A-level content (lots is GCSE) do all the past papers and your sorted. And make sure to round (to 3/4 sf). :u:
s1 100%. Level of knowledge hardly advanced at all, and its not mind numbing as suggested in this thread.. easy 90+ ums, will likely help you secure the A grade.
For an A* doesn't it just have to be 90 average over C3&C4 and 80 average overall? Why would M2 being an A2 module have any affect?

Its the average of all A2 modules, by taking M2 you could argue that its easier when its best out of three instead of best out of two.
Original post by 16characterlimit
Its the average of all A2 modules, by taking M2 you could argue that its easier when its best out of three instead of best out of two.

No it isn't...
Original post by SeanFM
D1 is the right decision :wink:

:rofl:
Reply 50
this year's S1 was harder than M2 imo

Overall, your A2 applied module hardly matters. If you have other intense A levels to worry about then do S1. M2 is a very short module on the other hand and most of it is really just an extension of M1. Grade boundaries tend to be higher though as mainly FM students do it
(edited 7 years ago)
D1 is unbelievably easy and requires very little work, just memorising algorithms and doing a few papers before the exam. I've also done s1 and would say although its also not too hard, it is still considerably more work and challenging than D1, so if you can I second D1
Original post by ForestShadow
I dont do further maths and 90% of the our maths students dont either....we just do the normal maths a level edexcel board

Still, anyone doing a level maths should be able to do d1. It's just as easy as c1, if not easier. There are no complicated formulae, it's just remembering a few simple algorithms.
For an A* doesn't it just have to be 90 average over C3&C4 and 80 average overall? Why would M2 being an A2 module have any affect?

Please don't listen to 16characterlimit.

You're correct.
Reply 54

This is jokes because D1 is the lowest mark I've ever got in a maths exam. I did spend 2 days learning the entire module though. But yeah if you can't get a B at least then there's no point doing further maths.
I did M1 this year and have hopefully done well. However I see no reason why I should take a harder module when you can take an easier one. Is there any reason to take M2 over S1, considering that although S1 is boring it is an AS module so should be more straightforward? Edexcel btw

EDIT: Probably should've added a poll at the start but oh well:smile:

If you really want too, take both M2 and S1 and then take your best grade.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
This is jokes because D1 is the lowest mark I've ever got in a maths exam. I did spend 2 days learning the entire module though. But yeah if you can't get a B at least then there's no point doing further maths.

I got 93% in D1 last year so...
My lowest was fp1 which I complete messed up and got 45%
Reply 57
I got 93% in D1 last year so...
My lowest was fp1 which I complete messed up and got 45%

Yeah I got a B in D1. FP1 wasn't too bad though. I did C1 and C2 beforehand so it made it easier for me.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Yeah I got a B in D1. FP1 wasn't too bad though. I did C1 and C2 beforehand so it made it easier for me.

I wish I could have done c1 and c2 first! There were so many times we had to get taught stuff that our normal a level class hadn't done yet in order to do fp1.
Reply 59
s1 is sooooo boring but its soooooo easy. The only real mistakes you make are when you dont type things properly in your calculator or forget numbers when you are working out because youre working with lots of long numbers so its easy to make mistakes like that. Unlike m2, for s1 your calculator does most of the work for you and you dont really need to understand things as much to still get the answer

Quick Reply

Latest