The Student Room Group

Am I cheating?

I was revising for my Mock exams in year 10 and came across the exam board my school uses and thought that it would be a good idea to revise through past papers. Then after reading it all and using the mark scheme to see if I got it right, I noticed the next day the school had used the same one that I was working from. I'm usually A/B/C student and I think I did better than usual.

What if I get confronted? I'm thinking I should tell my Examiner and ask if I messed up. I've looked at other forums on this but they just say 'don't worry' or 'you should be ashamed of yourself!'
Reply 1
No,
exam papers are there for a reason. You can use it all you want. Mocks are not even serious things especially year 10 ones do not fret about it. The grade you get when doing the questions yourself is earned through you doing the exam papers. I have just finished my GCSE's and one of the ways you try to get a good grade is by memorising past mark schemes.
I'd just leave it and be happy with the fact I got a high grade.
No don't worry I cheated all my mock exams. Looked at the paper and memorised the answers lol. They even found out and didn't care. Mocks are not that important. They are there to help get you used to the enviroment and studying. JUST AS LONG AS FOR UR REAL EXAMS YOU STUDY HARD!!!! it's ok also what you did wasn't cheating it was unintentional. Unlike mine and my school even found out and it was ok so don't dress!! Good luck x
thats not cheating mate, more like good revision :biggrin:
No haha don't worry. Mocks don't matter to be honest. They hype them up a lot!! I cheated all my mocks to get good predicted grades. I just looked at the paper we are doing and memorised the answers got an A* in every one!! Haha you have nothing to be ashamed of. Don't worry. Just don't say anything. AS LONG AS FOR YOUR REAL EXAMS YOU STUDY HARD AND DONT CHEAT. Honestly though mock exams do not matter all that much it's just to help you get used to the enviroment don't stress! And don't tell anyone it's fine it's not cheating because it was unintentional. Unlike me. They even found out I cheated and didn't care.
They're not official exams so don't worry

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
As others said, mocks are not official so "cheating" doesn't have an effect on anything and doesn't matter since the results are forgotten as soon as you do the real exams - mocks are just practice.

But, I wouldn't recommend looking at the past paper mark scheme for other mocks, as the only reason you do mocks is to get you used to sitting the test and the exam environment, so if you have already seen the paper it will make you a little less prepared for the actual test. It doesn't matter a lot, you can always sit a "mock" at home, just print off a past paper that you haven't done before and set a timer and then do it in the time as if you were in an exam. This is generally good to do, gets you used to what sort of thing they look for in answers (you should mark your paper afterwards and see what you did badly in, then work more on that).
Reply 7
Original post by Undec
No,
exam papers are there for a reason. You can use it all you want. Mocks are not even serious things especially year 10 ones do not fret about it. The grade you get when doing the questions yourself is earned through you doing the exam papers. I have just finished my GCSE's and one of the ways you try to get a good grade is by memorising past mark schemes.
I'd just leave it and be happy with the fact I got a high grade.

Maybe you should mention that a better way is to try and understand what you learn, particularly with lots of TSR members here to help if you get stuck :wink:
Aw the innocence of year 10s. Take me back to the good ol days
Original post by ItsJosh
I was revising for my Mock exams in year 10 and came across the exam board my school uses and thought that it would be a good idea to revise through past papers. Then after reading it all and using the mark scheme to see if I got it right, I noticed the next day the school had used the same one that I was working from. I'm usually A/B/C student and I think I did better than usual.

What if I get confronted? I'm thinking I should tell my Examiner and ask if I messed up. I've looked at other forums on this but they just say 'don't worry' or 'you should be ashamed of yourself!'

was it for the new gcse maths (9-1)
Original post by Scribbleworld
No don't worry I cheated all my mock exams. Looked at the paper and memorised the answers lol. They even found out and didn't care. Mocks are not that important. They are there to help get you used to the enviroment and studying. JUST AS LONG AS FOR UR REAL EXAMS YOU STUDY HARD!!!! it's ok also what you did wasn't cheating it was unintentional. Unlike mine and my school even found out and it was ok so don't dress!! Good luck x

Original post by ItsJosh

since it was unintentional then no it is not cheating, however if you continue to use the past papers knowingly it will be the same one in your mock, then it is cheating
They're just mocks so it doesn't really matter, plus the papers were freely available so it's the school's own fault for using papers you could have access to.

Quick Reply

Latest