The Student Room Group

EU vs. Brexit: who are the backers?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Betelgeuse-
Another fool who cant read. I said dont vote in anybody elses interests, particuarly rich elite people in their bubble. It doesnt matter if they are remain or leave... Trump or Branson

When do the results come in? Is it live like the elections?
Reply 22
Original post by Foo.mp3
Pro-EU Crony Capitalist, self-serving cretins:

Rothschild
Soros
Juncker
Lord Sugar: "strange that Gisela Gschaider a 1974 immigrant from Germany is on the brexit panel telling us British what we should do"

Brexit Great Britons:

Boris
Dyson
Cleese

Need I say more?

James Bond

/EndThread
/EndPoll
/VOTE REMAIN
Original post by ODES_PDES
Yes!
The first 3 are not politicians.

Are you implying that Trump is a real politician?
Original post by Foo.mp3
Pro-EU Crony Capitalist, self-serving cretins:

Rothschild: this family has acted as if it runs the world since the 19th century, secretly pulling the strings/manipulating behind the scenes
Soros: this guy helped tip the UK into financial crisis, profiting hugely, during the Black Wednesday ERM debacle
Juncker: this guy is the drunk of a President of the EU Commission and has threatened directly the UK
Lord Sugar: "strange that Gisela Gschaider a 1974 immigrant from Germany is on the brexit panel telling us British what we should do"

Brexit Great Britons:

Boris
Dyson
Cleese

Need I say more?

Continue with the so-called Illuminati One World Government plan all you want, it doesn't matter.

The two biggest threats right now are Putin and Islamic State and both of them want us to leave the EU.
Original post by The_Meritocrat
Continue with the so-called Illuminati One World Government plan all you want, it doesn't matter.

The two biggest threats right now are Putin and Islamic State and both of them want us to leave the EU.

Nah Putins fine. Hillary and ISIS are the biggest threats.
Original post by physicsphysics91
Nah Putins fine. Hillary and ISIS are the biggest threats.

Hillary's a worm but she's restricted by US political process. Putin has complete control over Russia and its assets not to mention far more nuclear weapons and plans to have his own personal super army as an extension of himself.

Also he just does not give a **** as is shown by Ukraine and Crimea.
Reply 27
Original post by Foo.mp3
Think you mean Daniel Craig e.g. arguably the most wooden James Bond to date, a man with no range, and apparently even less balls/imagination/belief in Britain. Oh, and a multimillionaire who doesn't have to deal with the fallout of failed EU policy. Kudos :cool:

And small business owners? Not multi-gazillionaires like Dyson or whoever.
Just ordinary people.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=66024385&postcount=18
Original post by jneill
What about small businesses? Not multi-mega corporations and their billionaire owners. You know the small businesses that are apparently at the sharp end of EU regulations and red-tape.

Often these are businesses that don't trade that much outside the UK. So they aren't that interested in exporting their services. Some are plumbers, or corner shops, or the car mechanic down the alley.

Just earning a crust. Keeping going.

Their trade organisation is called the Federation of Small Businesses. They carried out a survey:
11% of members were undecided.
41% said Leave.
47% said Remain.

So if you don't want to listen to Richard Branson, or the countless other experts and the vast majority of our democratically elected MPs. Listen to the ordinary small business owner. They might even be in a position to offer you a job some day.

Quite interesting.. i took a look and what i found was small business owners where more likely to ideologically support the EU. HOWEVER

Only 34.9% thought it was good for their business whereas 40.6% thought the EU was detrimental to their business... given the ideological position of favouring the EU ... thats a pretty damning verdict on the EU being bad for small business and probably why you didnt post me the study :smile:

Interestingly, the FSB survey also found that the level of support for EU membership among small business owners is higher than the proportion that thinks it's beneficial for their business (35%, versus 41% who say it doesn't help them).

http://www.fsb.org.uk/LegacySitePath/policy/assets/fsb%20eu%20research%20project%20-%20september%202015.pdf#page=13
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Quite interesting.. i took a look and what i found was small business owners where more likely to ideologically like the EU. HOWEVER

Only 34.9% thought it was good for their business whereas 40.6% thought the EU was detrimental to their business... given the ideological position of favouring the EU ... thats a pretty damning verdict on the EU being bad for small business and probably why you didnt post me the study :smile:

http://www.fsb.org.uk/LegacySitePath/policy/assets/fsb%20eu%20research%20project%20-%20september%202015.pdf#page=13

And yet they want to Remain

Head not heart.

I'm surprised you didn't also pick up the date. So things may have moved on since Sept. We'll all find out later today....

Good luck.

It's going to be a long night tomorrow... :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
And yet they want to Remain

Head not heart.

I'm surprised you didn't also pick up the date. So things may have moved on since Sept. We'll all find out later today....

Good luck.

It's going to be a long night tomorrow... :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surely its heart over head.. More think its bad for their pocket but still support what the EU is about.. thats heart over head !

Yes i am sure they have, to which direction who knows haha

Thanks, i think leave will need it. Tomorrow is the first and probably last time i will excercise my right to vote
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by IFoundWonderland
Are you implying that Trump is a real politician?

Of course
He could be the next president of the US
Original post by ODES_PDES
Of course
He could be the next president of the US

*shakes in fear*
I'm sick of celebrities saying we should remain i haven't found one that says we should leave
Reply 34
Original post by thebearissquare
I'm sick of celebrities saying we should remain i haven't found one that says we should leave

Ian Botham
Reply 35
Original post by Foo.mp3
Two thirds of small business owners back Brexit, sorry mate. If, like me, you actually get out and speak to them about what the EU has done to their businesses, you'll understand why. #BelieveInBritain #TakeControl

Source?

You mean small business owners like me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Source?

You mean small business owners like me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably won't have any source :lol:

"I DONT NEED FACTS AND FIGURES, I JUST LISTEN TO HOW I FEEL"
Reply 37
Original post by Foo.mp3
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-3455895/Number-UK-small-investors-favour-Brexit-soars-Cameron-calls-EU-vote-June-23rd.html: "more than three quarters do not believe the reforms proposed by Mr Cameron would ‘materially change the UK’s relationship with the EU"

"small investors" not small businesses.

And most of them will be in the older demographic that was seriously worrying the Remain camp and led to Cameron's warnings about pensions, etc.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Fair points, but the support/attitudes stand among the indicated demographic, and virtually every small business owner I've spoken to in the Midlands is for Brexit (big cities will of course be different). Small investors/businesses are the lifeblood of the UK, and feel hamstrung by EU regs

I don't know if it's just me or others too, but I've grown sick and tired of both Bremain and Brexit just piling up some qualitative bullhonkey on the table. Unless something can be quantified it shouldn't be used in an argument.

I realize you can't really quantify how badly the economy will go down immediately after Brexit, not to a high precision at least, with the accurate side of it being that the economy is near surefire to go down albeit with growth in the future. I also realize that you can't quantify the exact opinions of people, as there will be caveats and variability based on how you phrase questions.

You can however quantify a poll or opinion tally, and saying that you've talked to businesses is worthless much like a lot of the arguments dumped out by both campaigns. Actually putting figures in is a lot nicer, such that "40% of the businesses I've talked too across the country agree with Brexit". A lot more goes in to this, such as not basing it on a certain region and being biased in just saying Brexit is backed across the country whereas it may just be in that aforementioned region. This isn't an attack on Brexit or Bremain, just merely the fact that both campaigns are spewing out invalid garbage that isn't entirely true and seems to be slightly biased to either side. This alongside newspapers such as The Express being biased and wanting Brexit; I know there are also biased newspapers toward Bremain, but I can't off the top of my head name them.

You get my point; I wish I could vote, i'd vote to Remain, but sadly enough it's better to not have a bunch of misinformed 16-17 year olds voting. Call me some sort of ageist prick but I think that older folks shouldn't be allowed to vote either, as the outcome wont affect them *as much* as it would us. That's just another topic though.

I'm basing a lot of this on what i've read about. Another point here is that i'm highly against Brexit because of how my parents seem to think of it. The only things they know about Brexit and Bremain is that if they stay in the EU, supposedly immigrants will come over from all over the damn place and take jobs and all that sort of stuff. They don't know that the economy will be unstable, or about loss of the single market seemingly enough, or about other stuff. All they know is that "Immigrants will come from Turkey next year"

It's just so damn infuriating that a lot of people, wanting to remain or leave, don't fully understand the magnitude of the vote or anything along those lines.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending