The Student Room Group

Is it possible to get HIV from sharing a public toilet

I was in a club and used the toilets. I got some tissue stuck in my urethra and then struggled to get it out. What's the probability that the tissue is infected with HIV?
rip
Reply 2
sorry bro
don't ever sit down when you use a public toilet
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I was in a club and used the toilets. I got some tissue stuck in my urethra and then struggled to get it out. What's the probability that the tissue is infected with HIV?

Here is a link to a page that explains how HIV can be transmitted:
https://www.aids.gov/hiv-aids-basics/hiv-aids-101/how-you-get-hiv-aids/

Basically the only risk from sharing toilets is if you are litterally using it at the same time. The virus dies within seconds of exposure to air so even if you come into contact with any contaminated fluids (pee can't be contamiated unless mixed with another fluid btw) it would have to be pretty much direct from the source to have any impact. So even if there was anything on that tissue it would not be able to infect you because it would be dead already. Similarly you wouldn't be at risk from water fountains or anything like that.

If you are really concerned go ask a pharmacist to explain it, but multiple factors mean you are not at risk from this scenrio. Direct body to body contact and sharing needles are basically the only way it can be transmitted.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous

Simply inhaling in a public toilet will give you HIV, lung cancer and a brain anuerysm all at once. How you are still alive is nothing short of a miracle.

Quick Reply

Latest