The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Philosophy at Oxford Brookes

im hoping to go to uni next year (sept 2017) and study philosophy and was thinking of going to Oxford Brookes.i just want to know what is it like?? what are the lecturers like?? hiw much if it is exam and how much coursework etc. im going to attend the open day but i want ti hear from a range of students- not just student ambassadors (because they sugar coat everything and only tell you positive stuff)
Original post by paula2578
im hoping to go to uni next year (sept 2017) and study philosophy and was thinking of going to Oxford Brookes.i just want to know what is it like?? what are the lecturers like?? hiw much if it is exam and how much coursework etc. im going to attend the open day but i want ti hear from a range of students- not just student ambassadors (because they sugar coat everything and only tell you positive stuff)

What the uni and everything about it will be subjective. I think the uni itself is a fine university. The Student Union in terms of getting the students interested try very hard, but they fail all the time because no one is ever interested. But Oxford have great promoters who put on events throughout the year including Mayday!

I've only had 2 lecturers and seen one. But only really 2 as one of the lecturers only filled in. Anyway, the one I had Dr Stephen Boutler was a legend and I will be seeing him in Sept again! Always cracking jokes in a dry way and he is great at explaining things. I always left his lecturers thinking about the lecture for a couple of hours. Plus he gets the same bus as us so if you have an evening lecture, he'll get the same bus and will chill with the students. He's so fun!
Reason and Argument module is horrendous it's super hard and stupid. But you have to do it. That's just a heads up.

In 1st year it's 50/50 with exam and coursework. 2nd and 3rd year is all 100% coursework but it's big like one 3,000 worded essay and then one 3,000 reflective essay. That's for one module. So imagine this for 3-4 modules per term if you're doing straight modules. It's a hell of a lot so you gotta be organised and so you should be by 2nd year! :P

I think that's about it to be honest. I only studied 2 of Philosophy modules as I hated Ethics at A-level and didn't like Epistemology in Intro to Philo module so didn't fancy doing it for a whole semester aha. But I wish I did Intro to Ethics cause it did seem interesting, but I didn't fancy 3 exams in summer. So when applying for uni in general, be sure to check things like this over and go to uni with an open mind!
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Reply 2
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
What the uni and everything about it will be subjective. I think the uni itself is a fine university. The Student Union in terms of getting the students interested try very hard, but they fail all the time because no one is ever interested. But Oxford have great promoters who put on events throughout the year including Mayday!

I've only had 2 lecturers and seen one. But only really 2 as one of the lecturers only filled in. Anyway, the one I had Dr Stephen Boutler was a legend and I will be seeing him in Sept again! Always cracking jokes in a dry way and he is great at explaining things. I always left his lecturers thinking about the lecture for a couple of hours. Plus he gets the same bus as us so if you have an evening lecture, he'll get the same bus and will chill with the students. He's so fun!
Reason and Argument module is horrendous it's super hard and stupid. But you have to do it. That's just a heads up.

In 1st year it's 50/50 with exam and coursework. 2nd and 3rd year is all 100% coursework but it's big like one 3,000 worded essay and then one 3,000 reflective essay. That's for one module. So imagine this for 3-4 modules per term if you're doing straight modules. It's a hell of a lot so you gotta be organised and so you should be by 2nd year! :P

I think that's about it to be honest. I only studied 2 of Philosophy modules as I hated Ethics at A-level and didn't like Epistemology in Intro to Philo module so didn't fancy doing it for a whole semester aha. But I wish I did Intro to Ethics cause it did seem interesting, but I didn't fancy 3 exams in summer. So when applying for uni in general, be sure to check things like this over and go to uni with an open mind!

thank you for the advice. if you dont mind me asking, what job are u doing as i have no idea what job to do after i graduate with a BA in philosophy as no careers link directly to Philosophy (except teaching which i dont like) xx
Original post by paula2578
thank you for the advice. if you dont mind me asking, what job are u doing as i have no idea what job to do after i graduate with a BA in philosophy as no careers link directly to Philosophy (except teaching which i dont like) xx

I wanna go into publishing; editorial work. And then go into teaching. I've always wanted to do this and this is mostly cause i do english lit and philosophy.

Most of my philo friends dont have a clue what they wanna do. Some of them want to get into politics though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending