The Student Room Group

The Queen backs Leave

The Queen has been challenging her inner circle to explain why Britain should stay in the European Union
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The Queen has no opinion, and those attempting to ascribe her one are endangering the monarchy.

Even if we did know, so bloody what. I'm notorious here as a proud monarchist. I'm still not going to be so thick as to decide my voted based on what the Queen says.
Original post by gladders
The Queen has no opinion, and those attempting to ascribe her one are endangering the monarchy.

Even if we did know, so bloody what. I'm notorious here as a proud monarchist. I'm still not going to be so thick as to decide my voted based on what the Queen says.

The EU will end the monarchy someday. The superstate won't tolerate a monarch.
Original post by RoyalMarine
The EU will end the monarchy someday. The superstate won't tolerate a monarch.

Take the tin hat off mate. The EU is the creature of the Member States - that includes the UK.
Take the tin hat off mate. The EU is the creature of the Member States - that includes the UK.

What will you do if the EU superstate will abolish the monarchy?Ask for a referendum to leave?
The picture didn't load. I assume this is a joke thread and it was supposed to be a funny cartoon or something?
What will you do if the EU superstate will abolish the monarchy?Ask for a referendum to leave?

Seeing as the EU has no powers to do such a thing, I think I'll sleep peacefully in my bed.
Seeing as the EU has no powers to do such a thing, I think I'll sleep peacefully in my bed.

The EU will have more and more powers until it becomes a superstate. The USE. If I was the Queen I would vote Leave too. The Royals are the ones who have the most to lose with the EU
The EU will have more and more powers until it becomes a superstate. The USE. If I was the Queen I would vote Leave too. The Royals are the ones who have the most to lose with the EU

Extension of EU powers requires the unanimous consent of Member States. That means the UK has an absolute veto.

So it's quite clear you are talking nonsense.
Extension of EU powers requires the unanimous consent of Member States. That means the UK has an absolute veto.

It's not impossible for the UK to vote against the best interests of its citizens.

only at the moment,they have already showed to be liars and dishonest. They could change some points to their advantage,then what can we do,another referendum? We would just accept the new EU. And a Labour government could well approve their decision. Notice that all republicans are for remain.
This EU strawman you xenophobic, fearmongering, utterly ludicrous bigots are building can be dismantled with one simple Google search and a thorough read of the EU's policies and practices (including veto power of the member states).

Shut your damn mouth and focus on the important bit - like education, healthcare, women's rights, eradicating corruption, standard of life - most, if not all of which are sub-standard when compared to, say, Germany, France or the Nederlands. The EU doesn't need the UK - especially not next to Germany - the UK needs the EU.
Original post by Withengar
This EU strawman you xenophobic, fearmongering, utterly ludicrous bigots are building can be dismantled with one simple Google search and a thorough read of the EU's policies and practices (including veto power of the member states).

Shut your damn mouth and focus on the important bit - like education, healthcare, women's rights, eradicating corruption, standard of life - most, if not all of which are sub-standard when compared to, say, Germany, France or the Nederlands. The EU doesn't need the UK - especially not next to Germany - the UK needs the EU.

facts prove you're wrong. Then why didn't the UK veto the joining of Poland,Romania,Bulgaria? We can't just veto anything we don't like because then they will veto anything else. Inside the EU we lose sovereignity,it's obvious.
facts prove you're wrong. Then why didn't the UK veto the joining of Poland,Romania,Bulgaria? We can't just veto anything we don't like because then they will veto anything else. Inside the EU we lose sovereignity,it's obvious.

It didn't because it didn't bloody want to. Because they fulfilled all obligations and terms the EU had set for their entry. Obligations and terms that the UK was prominent in setting and creating. I'm not proven wrong by facts, you are. You're fearmongering and driven by your prejudices. I'm telling you how it is and how it was.

As far as losing sovereignty, are you aware that, say, an Empire created of colonies also diminishes sovereignty of those colonies? And are you aware, that, as the largest Empire in the history of the world who invaded 97% of the globe, the UK has taken sovereignty of many, many and I mean many places? After all that, you're now complaining that you have to listen to agreed upon rules and regulations set for everyone, by everyone in the EU? Shut it. Just shut it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Withengar
It didn't because it didn't bloody want to. Because they fulfilled all obligations and terms the EU had set for their entry. Obligations and terms that the UK was prominent in setting and creating. I'm not proven wrong by facts, you are. You're fearmongering and driven by your prejudices. I'm telling you how it is and how it was.

As far as losing sovereignty, are you aware that, say, an Empire created of colonies also diminishes sovereignty of those colonies? And are you aware, that, as the largest Empire in the history of the world who invaded 97% of the globe, the UK has taken sovereignty of many, many and I mean many places?After all that, you're now complaining that you have to listen to agreed upon rules and regulations set for everyone, by everyone in the EU? Shut it. Just shut it.

Here you are then. The UK didn't veto even if it was against our interests. Then a Corbyn's government could well accept the suspension and end of the monarchy. It's a possible scenario. That's why the Queen backs Leave.
This country was born to lead not to follow.
Original post by AnnieGakusei
It's not impossible for the UK to vote against the best interests of its citizens.

Well then why the hell are Leave bleating on about 'taking back control' if they don't have control over Westminster?
only at the moment,they have already showed to be liars and dishonest. They could change some points to their advantage,then what can we do,another referendum? We would just accept the new EU. And a Labour government could well approve their decision.

As I just said to another poster - if you have such lack of faith in UK politicians, what exactly is this referendum all about? If you think Westminster will let you down and betray you, why all the droning on about sovereignty and taking control?

Notice that all republicans are for remain.

Completely and utterly irrelevant.
Well then why the hell are Leave bleating on about 'taking back control' if they don't have control over Westminster?

Because it's a step in the right direction. Hopefully it'll shake up UK politics a little and galvanise the public into action - if we truly care about democracy we'll then be able to lobby for proportional representation / a fairer voting system.
Her Majesty comes from a successul family of immigrants; Her Partner is also an immigrant. I am sure that They would vote Remain.
Here you are then. The UK didn't veto even if it was against our interests. Then a Corbyn's government could well accept the suspension and end of the monarchy. It's a possible scenario. That's why the Queen backs Leave.
This country was born to lead not to follow.

The UK didn't veto it because it decided not to. Because it was in favor of these countries joining if they meet certain terms and conditions - which they did. The UK is not this conservative, bigoted giant that you make it out to be.

This country was born to lead? Lead what? Millions around the globe into colonial misery? Shut it.

Everyone is a leader and a follower. Everyone needs to play by the same rules and follow the same regulations. You can't alienate and distance yourself from Europe. You're damn 32 kilometers away from France. Be quiet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending