The Student Room Group

Is retaking A-level maths worth it for a maths degree ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by lawlieto
if you really really wanna do maths, why not doing further maths on your own?.... that would be the commitment
even if your school doesn't provide it, you can go to a second school as a part time student; your school is supposed to help you in finding one (this is what i've done personally)

I've contacted some schools this morning via email concerning doing further maths next year so I hope they give a positive response.. but yes otherwise i will self teach it - i already self taught AS...
Original post by fefssdf
I've contacted some schools this morning via email concerning doing further maths next year so I hope they give a positive response.. but yes otherwise i will self teach it - i already self taught AS...

that's the spirit :smile: when you take further maths seriously, C3 and C4 become really easy. I've done FP2 and FP3 as well; while practising those 2 modules I got significantly faster in my core modules... however if you self teach and you want a good grade, probably it will be easier to do Fp2 or Fp3 only and do S2+S3 (statistics modules are easier I think than further pure ones)
Reply 22
that's the spirit :smile: when you take further maths seriously, C3 and C4 become really easy. I've done FP2 and FP3 as well; while practising those 2 modules I got significantly faster in my core modules... however if you self teach and you want a good grade, probably it will be easier to do Fp2 or Fp3 only and do S2+S3 (statistics modules are easier I think than further pure ones)

im not sure about that cause last year i did 6 modules and my highest mark was actually in fp1 and my lowest was d1... I tend to do better when the content is more demanding

Yeah the applied modules become easier as you understand it.

But this guy is correct - speed is key in the exam. Double check answers and think over the 'difficult' questions you may have missed out
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fefssdf

Could you tell me effective ways of self teaching other than past papers
Original post by Maths is Life

probably get the books; it also depends on what modules you are taking. (it's not recommended to do FP3 before C4...)
read the theory in the book, if you don't understand it. find a corresponding video about that topic on YouTube (there are some really good videos), do the questions in the book and then past papers (past papers, especially recent ones will be a lot harder than the practise questions in the book, like M2 papers got a lot harder in the last 3 years...)
if you're aiming for an A, NEVER go onto the next topic without understanding every previous topic. Persevere.
Reply 26
Original post by Maths is Life

ok i would strongly suggest using youtube videos to revise and learn the content.

search ukmathsteacher, and also look at hergarty maths. Also try past papers from the other exam boards as this will help you get a feel for different question styles.

Quick Reply

Latest