The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology SNAB 6BI04 ~ 6BIO5 June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SeanXd
What did people say about the 2 control variables for carrots? I put age and the source of the carrots (e.g same source for nutrients)

i put exactly that
Reply 1121
Original post by jirapat121
I think you're meant to put it has a protein coat contains with glycoprotein so virus can attach to the cancer cells and that it contains enzymes such as integrase which allows the DNA of the assassin cells to integrate into the cancer cells' DNA ?

Yeah I wrote about glycoproteins, after re reading the question, couldn't think of a second reason tho

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1122
grade boundary predictions? considering you needed 56 for an A last year
Original post by Fuego1
Am I the only one that found unit 4 somewhat easier than unit 5 lol

Same with me, I feel like most of the unit 5 paper was good but that cross cultural studies and the article questions really threw me off and I felt that I wouldn't be able to answer them properly even if I had the textbook with me, whereas unit 4 I felt better about it I just thought it was really time pressured and there was a lot of synoptic stuff that I thought was really irrelevant. I don't think the unit 4 paper was fair at all especially how it was basically copied from that 2014 IAL paper, so at least that unit 5 paper was actually well written

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1124
Original post by SeanXd
What did people say about the 2 control variables for carrots? I put age and the source of the carrots (e.g same source for nutrients)

yeah, maybe light intensity and starting mass of carrots
Guys, I reckon this paper was another rehash, just like unit 4 was. Check it out, 2014 IAL
https://73d134c032d6e821aa27a7cf0827888f03dbe381.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYbTlTbU5PQncwMW8/January%202014%20(IAL)%20QP%20-%20Unit%205%20Edexcel%20Biology.pdf
Questions 1 and 2 very similar
Original post by SeanXd

I wrote age and surface area of the carrot cubes but I'm not too sure about the surface area one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How many UMS do I need at A2 to get an A if my AS was 257 UMS?
Am I correct in saying I need 480-257=223 which means it is a grade B? But I get an A overall?? Im confused
Original post by emfs
oh no! dont worry it was only one mark

it reminded me of a past paper question where it asked for number of myofibrils, and the answer was three. so that was why i nearly put three as well.

lol i put cell membrane and viral dna
i wrote about why it was it good for use. but then i thought features meant structure
darn

i got 0.103
what was the correct way? i did [0.3+4+5]/90 = 0.103

yes! for the metabolic pathway i wrote about nitrogen-fixing bacteria in the soil. but i couldnt remember the exact process. i just babbled about and wrote what i thought the definition of a metabolic pathway was
the l-dopa confused me. i put that its a precursor to dopamine. from the gut it enters the blood plasma and then the brain where it converts to dopamine. before 90min the l-dopa was entering the gut, after 90min the l-dopa was leaving the gut, entering the blood plasma.
but i feel i missed something crucial

It wasnt not talking about ldopa in the gut it was about ldopa in the blood plasma
For the gene technology question, I put about isolating a gene that makes chloroplasts in plant cells rather than a gene that removes CO2. Would I get a mark?? And if I lost a mark would that affect the marks for the whole question?
Original post by Bella09
For the gene technology question, I put about isolating a gene that makes chloroplasts in plant cells rather than a gene that removes CO2. Would I get a mark?? And if I lost a mark would that affect the marks for the whole question?

don't know about that first mark- i don't think you would get that. But you will still gain the other marks as long as u got the process right. So no, it wont affect the marks for the whole question! x :smile:
Hi everyone, please vote on the poll so we can get an idea of grade boundaries etc..

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4182481
Original post by FutureMedic97
How many UMS do I need at A2 to get an A if my AS was 257 UMS?
Am I correct in saying I need 480-257=223 which means it is a grade B? But I get an A overall?? Im confused

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's correct.
Original post by Algeriandz
don't know about that first mark- i don't think you would get that. But you will still gain the other marks as long as u got the process right. So no, it wont affect the marks for the whole question! x :smile:

Ahh thank goodness I hope so. Because I wasn't sure about genes to remove CO2 so I literally just made up the chloroplast stuff haha. But I put all the stuff about reverse transcriptase making cDNA or restriction endonuclease cutting gene, cut plasmid with same restriction enzyme and use DNA ligase. I think that'll get me a couple marks at least
What did people say for the ecg question?

I said conduct an ecg for 15 seconds and then count the number of qrs complexes in the trace and multiply by 4 to get heart rate.

Is that wrong?
I got 1104 or something like that for the gene/ amino acid calculation and got 0.0556 arb units per minute for the rate question! What did everyone say for the tendon and antagonistic muscle question?
Predictions for grade boundaries? im gonna say the same as last year
61 for an A* , 56 for an A.
What did people put for the concentration gradent (Na+/K+) like how proteins in the membrane restore the ions to the levels shown in the table? Also, the whole habituation and twin studies stuff what did people write? When will we get to see the paper?
Original post by ZoeWoah
I got 1104 or something like that for the gene/ amino acid calculation and got 0.0556 arb units per minute for the rate question! What did everyone say for the tendon and antagonistic muscle question?

I also got the same as you for both those questions! For the antagonistic I first spoke about Tendons being attached to bone and muscle, and that they are inelastic, which allow support of the muscles and hold them in place to allow movement of the bones. Then I spoke about the flexor muscle relaxing and the extensor muscle contracting in order to kick the ball, I just basically mentioned that they work in pairs to allow movement both ways... can't remember what else I put though!
Original post by SeanXd

I said species/type of carrot and humidity

Quick Reply

Latest