The Student Room Group

Unis that accept Functional skills

dont believe i will pass gcse maths but i have functional skills level 2
Original post by k man
dont believe i will pass gcse maths but i have functional skills level 2

Everyone can do GCSE Maths
(edited 7 years ago)
This is a really old thread but common problem if anyone is wondering.

Essex
Northumbria
Qmal
Herts
Greenwich (at discretion)
Anglia ruskin
Middlesex
Northhampton
Oxford brookes
Ucs

All except functional skills in place of gcses (I am a mature student though), there are a few more if i remeber correctly from my manic emailing to admissions after i missed my emglish gcse exam.

They might not advertise it on their website but call and ask adimissions you might be surprised!
Reply 3
Thanks i am going to apply for 2017 entry I will be 20+ by then I only needed a couple months to be considered a mature student.
Original post by k man
Thanks i am going to apply for 2017 entry I will be 20+ by then I only needed a couple months to be considered a mature student.

Just do GCSE Maths, otherwise you will get rejected by majority of employees with not caring, as you don't even pass the basics of Maths.
Original post by ckfeister
Just do GCSE Maths, otherwise you will get rejected by majority of employees with not caring, as you don't even pass the basics of Maths.

Well thats just not true, it annoys me how many people scare monger about gcse results.... I have never been asked for gcse result by an employer. Unless your under 19ish or looking to teach, employers look at experience, skills and any higher qualifications. I have had fairly good jobs with no gcse's.... as have alot of people I have worked with, GCSE's are only a stepping stone in education.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by accesslyblonde
Well thats just not true, it annoys me how many people scare monger about gcse results.... I have never been asked for gcse result by an employer. Unless your under 19ish or looking to teach, employers look at experience, skills and any higher qualifications. I have had fairly good jobs with no gcse's.... as have alot of people I have worked with, GCSE's are only a stepping stone in education.

Entry-level maybe
Reply 7
I did I am waiting for the results my college force us to do foundation and not the higher therefore I dont think I got a c because one paper was fairly easy the other i think i flopped because I miss out about five high marks questions but I will do it again September If I fail and but the functional skills level 2 which i already have is for insurance to get into uni I have made it my purpose for 3 going on 4 years now to gain some qualifications and get into uni one of my life goals so I can get a decent job to live the life I want.
Original post by ckfeister
Entry-level maybe

I have had entry level jobs but when i was 16 or 17. I've also been a manager with graduates working under me. Once your an adult with experience GCSE's mean very little, ask your parents or anyone over 21. I'll admit many degrees and l3 upwards quailifcations are usefull but GCSEs are not.
Cambridge
Original post by accesslyblonde
I have had entry level jobs but when i was 16 or 17. I've also been a manager with graduates working under me. Once your an adult with experience GCSE's mean very little, ask your parents or anyone over 21. I'll admit many degrees and l3 upwards quailifcations are usefull but GCSEs are not.

In retail, getting degree for mangement is silly to me, if your also in business mangement than that explains why you don't need GCSEs

Quick Reply