The Student Room Group

Do I need background knowledge to study Economics?

I have not studied Economics at A-Level but I have at GCSE. I am choosing between Accounting and Finance and Economics but I'm being told I need background knowledge, is that the case?
Original post by ZahirZicro
I have not studied Economics at A-Level but I have at GCSE. I am choosing between Accounting and Finance and Economics but I'm being told I need background knowledge, is that the case?

No, you do not need to study Economics at A-level to read it at University, even for the most competitive courses (where Maths is compulsory, and Further Maths recommended) - have a look at the individual pages for the courses you'll be interested in and check their requirements.

That being said, Economics is better viewed than Accounting and Finance as an A-level and if you're interested enough in pursuing it at University, then why not start now :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Metrododo
No, you do not need to study Economics at A-level to read it at University, even for the most competitive courses (where Maths is compulsory, and Further Maths recommended) - check the individual pages for the courses you'll be interested in and check their requirements.

That being said, Economics is better viewed than Accounting and Finance as an A-level and if you're interested enough in pursuing it at University, then why not start now :smile:

Pretty sure accounting and finance is better viewed..
But obviously it depends what you wanna do in the future
Original post by BirdIsWord
Pretty sure accounting and finance is better viewed..
But obviously it depends what you wanna do in the future

"Two institutions, the London School of Economics (LSE) and Trinity College, Cambridge, go further and publish lists of subjects they view less favourably, “non-preferred” in the case of LSE, or “suitable only as fourth subjects” at Trinity. Both lists feature accounting, music technology and sports studies, among others. Other universities publish requirements for individual courses."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/9948905/Are-some-A-level-subjects-better-than-others.html
"Two institutions, the London School of Economics (LSE) and Trinity College, Cambridge, go further and publish lists of subjects they view less favourably, “non-preferred” in the case of LSE, or “suitable only as fourth subjects” at Trinity. Both lists feature accounting, music technology and sports studies, among others. Other universities publish requirements for individual courses."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/9948905/Are-some-A-level-subjects-better-than-others.html

Oh damn, was business management included in that list?

I just dont understand why accounting would even be compared to literal meme degrees like 'music technology'
your aptitude to maths needs to be solid.
Reply 6
No, you do not need to study Economics at A-level to read it at University, even for the most competitive courses (where Maths is compulsory, and Further Maths recommended) - have a look at the individual pages for the courses you'll be interested in and check their requirements.

Thanks for that! My friends keep telling me that I'm better off studying something else if I don't have in-depth knowledge of generic things such as Macroeconomics and Microeconomics or even Supply and Demand. It's nice to have some clarity!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BirdIsWord
Oh damn, was business management included in that list?

I just dont understand why accounting would even be compared to literal meme degrees like 'music technology'

It's one of the most serious A-levels within that list - as a degree it is respectable, especially at top-tier Unis.

However, the admissions team prefer the essay-based skills (amongst other things) required in Economics and consider it a more challenging A-level than Accounting, supposedly. It's not the end of the world if you study accounting at A-level by any means, but simply won't be viewed as positively by the most competitive Unis.
Original post by ZahirZicro
Thanks for that! My friends keep telling me that I'm better off studying something else if I don't have in-depth knowledge of generic things such as Macroeconomics and Microeconomics or even Supply and Demand. It's nice to have some clarity!

No problem!

Depending on your mathematical abilities, I would recommend Maths, Further Maths (if you're really good at Maths and thinking possibly Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, etc., although not an absolute necessity) and Economics or History instead. Otherwise - Maths, Economics and History is also a very sound option; arguably physics or chemistry are also solid choices
Don't apply for economics unless you know you like it. Many people initially associate economics with finance, but it's a lot more theoretical than that. If you haven't chosen your A levels yet, do economics so that you know if you'd like to study it at uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending