The Student Room Group

What is the difference between Obtaining Services Dishonestly and Making Off?

To me they seem like EXACTLY the same offence. My teacher didn't even teach us any cases for OSD. When would I use OSD instead of Making Off?

Thanks for any help
Reply 1
MOWP is usually just for food or petrol. Easy way to remember it.
Original post by JoePFR
To me they seem like EXACTLY the same offence. My teacher didn't even teach us any cases for OSD. When would I use OSD instead of Making Off?

Thanks for any help

I don't think there are any cases tbh? Just refer to s11 Fraud Act 2006.

'Obtaining' is all about how it was obtained and therefore you'd apply OSD where you see the D doing something dishonest to get a service... It's all in the name of the offence really. Whereas with MOWP, the service/goods needs to have already been provided, it's not about how you got them goods/services it's about making off without paying for what has already been completed. It's all about the timing, before is OSD, after is MOWP.
Reply 3
Original post by sonicmailman
I don't think there are any cases tbh? Just refer to s11 Fraud Act 2006.

'Obtaining' is all about how it was obtained and therefore you'd apply OSD where you see the D doing something dishonest to get a service... It's all in the name of the offence really. Whereas with MOWP, the service/goods needs to have already been provided, it's not about how you got them goods/services it's about making off without paying for what has already been completed. It's all about the timing, before is OSD, after is MOWP.

I think I get you. So really it's just a matter of when it occurs? It's OSD when you actually obtain the goods or services, and then it's MOWP when you actually make off?
Original post by JoePFR
I think I get you. So really it's just a matter of when it occurs? It's OSD when you actually obtain the goods or services, and then it's MOWP when you actually make off?

Yeah pretty much, if you look in the core texbook, there's part near the end which explains it (and probably better than me)
Original post by Mimir
MOWP is usually just for food or petrol. Easy way to remember it.

What happens if it's a drink or diesel?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Rust Cohle
What happens if it's a drink or diesel?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then it's a Tort, maybe?

Quick Reply

Latest