The Student Room Group

If we stay in what should we do?

What changes do people want? How will we go about it?

If we are forced to stay in then we might as well try to get changes even I admit that (i just don't think any changes will be possible).

Scroll to see replies

Q: If we stay in, what should we do?

Answer: Riot.

Spoiler

Reply 2
We are not alone in wanting EU reform. Poland, the Czech Republic and Denmark are also sick of the status quo. Yet I have yet to hear about any kind of serious international lobby style action between these countries, not to mention large portions of other countries. I may be wrong. If I am not then surely these parties should combine to effect changes.
(edited 7 years ago)
Sit at home and watch tv as usual
Stay or leave, nothing much is going to happen regarding immigration unless the economy bombs. So I would like to see our own politicians allocating resources to alleviate some of the pressures felt by the communities affected. I would also like to see our own politicians stop trying to perform wholesale change on the NHS and education systems. In fact I would like to see our own politicians stop trying to make large changes anywhere. Large change never works, costs billions and achieves nothing but a bonner for the politician who implemented it. As for the EU - as you are. It isn't perfect, it never will be, but for what it is, it is pretty remarkable.
eventually we'll get to say "We told you so".
Reply 6
Original post by Sebastian Bartlett

Doesn't matter, we've been told we're not getting any changes beyond the ones already negotiated.
Reply 7
Nothing.
Reply 8
As an EU federalist, a remain vote would signify British support of the EU. Therefore I would campaign for an ever closer union and the adoption of a shared EU constitution, a shared army and British participation in Schengen.

Viva La Europe. 🇪🇺

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nurne
As an EU federalist, a remain vote would signify British support of the EU. Therefore I would campaign for an ever closer union and the adoption of a shared EU constitution, a shared army and British participation in Schengen.

Viva La Europe. 🇪🇺

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please go and tell other remain supporters that as you will make them vote leave.
Many Thanks
Sensible British Voter
Reply 10

If we are forced to stay in then we might as well try to get changes even I admit that (i just don't think any changes will be possible).

Eurospectic Conservative MPs will try to get rid of David Cameron as PM and make Boris the new Tory leader though they fail to do that.
Original post by Nurne

Viva La Europe. 🇪🇺

Posted from TSR Mobile

It most definitely would not. You'll find that at least 40% or so voted for leaving Europe.

Sounds like you're for a United States of Europe kind of thing - a single state.

That'll be the EU's downfall.
Vote for UKIP in 2020.

Recent polls show them having a 20% share of the general election voting intention. This will only rise if we remain in the EU.

What in the world are you talking about? You will not be "forced" to stay. If you stay, it will be because the people of the UK voted to stay. How daft do you have to be to even utter something like this? There's no force here at work - you either democratically vote to leave, or (preferably) to stay.

You seem to have built a lumbering strawman out of the EU an projected all of your bigoted fears onto it, no matter how absurd or ridiculous.
Original post by Fenice
We are not alone in wanting EU reform. Poland, the Czech Republic and Denmark are also sick of the status quo. Yet I have yet to hear about any kind of serious international lobby style action between these countries, not to mention large portions of other countries. I may be wrong. If I am not then surely these parties should combine to effect changes.

My view is that Tusk's office should be empowered at the expense of Juncker's office.

The only way to try and keep the EU aligned with the aspirations of the peoples of Europe is to make sure the politicians are in charge.

No country lets the bureaucrats set the agenda for government and Juncker is the chief bureaucrat of Europe. I think the Commission should be stripped of its power of initiating legislation. When the presidency of the Council rotated amongst prime ministers every 6 months, effectively the President of the Commission had to initiate legislation because there was no-one else. That isn't the case any more.

Tusk is now the President of the Council; and is effectively the servant of the national politicians on the Council. Those politicians should be initiating legislation and it should be Tusk's job to bang heads together and get them to agree on something.

It should be Juncker's job to make sure Europe does its existing job properly. He should nothing to do with what Europe does next.

The Commission shouldn't be deciding that all postboxes in Europe should be painted bright green. If Lithuania thinks that such a policy would make Europe better for trade, Lithuania should bring that forward and Tusk should be trying to build a coalition amongst European states for Lithuania's idea. Germany may only be willing to agree this if the European speed limit is raised by 10 kph. If that is the case, so be it. It is something else to be negotiated,

Only when the Council has agreed a Directive on Postbox colours and this has been passed by the European Parliament should the Commission have the responsibility to ensure that none of the member states have any backsliding and the British government does make the Royal Mail go out with a green paintbrush.
I think the biggest change we should seek - and it may be the most difficult - is to get public support for working with the EU rather than against them and elect some MEPs that actually show up and do something.

It feels rather ridiculous claiming not to have a voice in the EU, when your elected voice doesn't show up and refuses to participate.
Reply 16
Original post by Elivercury
I think the biggest change we should seek - and it may be the most difficult - is to get public support for working with the EU rather than against them and elect some MEPs that actually show up and do something.

It feels rather ridiculous claiming not to have a voice in the EU, when your elected voice doesn't show up and refuses to participate.

Not to me it doesn't. These MEPs feel they dont have a voice at all and that by turning up they are reinforcing what they see as their status as window dressing in an organisation where the real power lies with faceless and unelected bureaucrats. Abstentionism in this case is a perfectly valid means of protest.
Reply 17
Original post by alevelstresss
If we remain Im going to make a thread mocking you funny xenophobes and collect your tears

How full of anger and venom you are. I've reported this post. I am not a xenophobe for wanting Britain to leave the EU.
Original post by Fenice
Not to me it doesn't. These MEPs feel they dont have a voice at all and that by turning up they are reinforcing what they see as their status as window dressing in an organisation where the real power lies with faceless and unelected bureaucrats. Abstentionism in this case is a perfectly valid means of protest.

These MEPs are laughing at getting paid six figure salaries plus expenses for not having to do a thing.

They have been elected and are paid to do a job, they are not doing aforementioned job. This isn't a form of protest, it's doing bugger all. No power lies with the so-called unelected bureaucrats, they make bills, the MEPs vote on said bills. If you don't vote, that isn't them ignoring your opinion, it's you not giving one.

It's like refusing to vote then complaining you didn't get the outcome you wanted. If you're not going to get involved or put any effort in to affect the outcome then you don't get to complain about aforementioned outcome. You certainly don't get to complain no one listens to you when you've never shown up to speak/vote!

At any rate, even if I do accept your point that they are doing their utter best to represent leave through abstentionism, if Remain wins then clearly they have lost their so-called mandate and they should engage with the EU properly. If they're unwilling to do that, we should replace them immediately.
Original post by Fenice

How annoying has it been getting labour mails (lots) about saying why you voting and the only option is " remain "

Quick Reply

Latest