The Student Room Group

School laughed at my sisters condition

My sister got back from school really upset today. She was called in to discuss why she is sometimes late to school. She catches the school bus so if its late then she will be late to school. She has Osgood-Schlatter Disease in her left knee and has been told not to run for the bus or she will be in constant pain for the rest of the day and could severely damage her. When my sister explained this she was laughed at by the teacher and two students who were standing nearby. He said "That was the most stupid excuse I have ever heard." She is understandably upset and is unsure what to do.

Any advice for dealing with this would be helpful.

Scroll to see replies

Tell your sister not to care about what people think. Reassure your sister and tell her how amazing she is(you obviously love your sister). It's fine anyways as those people who laughed at her will never be associated with her in the future.

Good luck! I hope your sister is fine.
Complain to the head teacher and police about this, chances are her teacher will either get sorted out well OR she'll get sacked.
Reply 3
That's horrible. Complain to the school about it!
Reply 4
In truth she should get up a bit earlier and not be late. But its unprofessional for a teacher to do that, get your parents to write a letter strongly condemning the teacher in question and send it to the head teacher or someone with power. He/She will then have to formally apologise and the school will deal with them accordingly. IT may sound over the top, but if this is a genuine illness then her disability should not be a laughing matter. - Also perhaps send a GP letter to completely validate it.
Original post by Anonymous
My sister got back from school really upset today. She was called in to discuss why she is sometimes late to school. She catches the school bus so if its late then she will be late to school. She has Osgood-Schlatter Disease in her left knee and has been told not to run for the bus or she will be in constant pain for the rest of the day and could severely damage her. When my sister explained this she was laughed at by the teacher and two students who were standing nearby. He said "That was the most stupid excuse I have ever heard." She is understandably upset and is unsure what to do.

To be fair, if someone told that to me, at the very least I would raise an eyebrow. I think the point of amusement here is that she seems unaware that getting to the bus stop in plenty of time would perhaps solve all her timing issues, not her inability to run after the bus whilst late. There is rarely a good excuse for being late.
I would be calling a solicitor, local press. Sickening behaviour on the part of the school.
Reply 7

My blood is boiling and i'm so pissed off for someone else's sake. I honestly want someone to crush those idiots kneecaps and see how they like it being disabled.

Why are some people sucks knobs? be more goddam respectful ffs

I think the school should be made aware of her condition (if they aren't already) so they can make allowances for her when she can't help but to be late, but she should realise that because she can't run to catch the bus, she needs to leave home earlier to make it to the bus stop in time.
Tell her that the school is likely used to students giving ******** excuses for being late, so that's why they laughed and didn't take her seriously. It's give and take though, really, even if that sounds harsh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by pineneedles
I think the school should be made aware of her condition (if they aren't already) so they can make allowances for her when she can't help but to be late, but she should realise that because she can't run to catch the bus, she needs to leave home earlier to make it to the bus stop in time.
Tell her that the school is likely used to students giving ******** excuses for being late, so that's why they laughed and didn't take her seriously. It's give and take though, really, even if that sounds harsh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The school are aware and even that teacher has seen a doctors note. She doesn't do PE but they don't seem to take her condition seriously. Its not considered a disability but it can develop into one so I think the school need to be made more aware of "invisible conditions." I am not condoning her lateness but I think the reaction from the teacher was completely unprofessional.
Original post by The_JoKeR
Complain to the head teacher and police about this, chances are her teacher will either get sorted out well OR she'll get sacked.

Original post by trc96
That's horrible. Complain to the school about it!

Original post by donte
In truth she should get up a bit earlier and not be late. But its unprofessional for a teacher to do that, get your parents to write a letter strongly condemning the teacher in question and send it to the head teacher or someone with power. He/She will then have to formally apologise and the school will deal with them accordingly. IT may sound over the top, but if this is a genuine illness then her disability should not be a laughing matter. - Also perhaps send a GP letter to completely validate it.

Original post by Gora The Xplorer
I would be calling a solicitor, local press. Sickening behaviour on the part of the school.

The issue is she thinks its her fault for not explaining her condition but most of her teachers have seen a doctors note. She doesn't want to make a fuss about it but I am outraged at the the teachers unprofessional attitude. He wouldn't react like that if she had a visible disability or she was in a wheelchair
Reply 11
The school are aware and even that teacher has seen a doctors note. She doesn't do PE but they don't seem to take her condition seriously. Its not considered a disability but it can develop into one so I think the school need to be made more aware of "invisible conditions." I am not condoning her lateness but I think the reaction from the teacher was completely unprofessional.

They know and they still treat it like this?! Absolutely disgusting. Contact someone on the counsel.
A) They need to take her condition seriously
B) That teacher was incredibly disrespectful, unprofessional, inappropriate, the list goes on..

I'm actually so pissed about this. A school should respect and support its students.

And yes I do agree that your sister should perhaps manage her time better in terms of getting to the bus stop, but the main issue here is the way in which a school is treating its student that has a disability...ugh
The issue is she thinks its her fault for not explaining her condition but most of her teachers have seen a doctors note. She doesn't want to make a fuss about it but I am outraged at the the teachers unprofessional attitude. He wouldn't react like that if she had a visible disability or she was in a wheelchair

Your poor sister :frown: it's awful and she can't blame herself.

You need to send an email explaining in no uncertain terms that it has been medically diagnosed, that there are some things she is unable to do and that they will have to accommodate her needs and that if they fail to do so, you will be contacting the local authority. Attach the doctor's note and keep the exchange of emails in your inbox rather than deleting anything.

It is her fault though, she could have just got up earlier and then she wouldn't have missed the bus.
Reply 14

Definitely contact someone on the counsel / make a complaint / both.

I understand she doesn't want a fuss made but at the same time, that teacher really needs to be dealt with. Completely agree with you as well btw, also outraged here. Also feel like the students that laughed should be educated about the matter and why it's not ok to laugh at such things. Or if they are already aware and doing it anyway, they need to be dealt with.
You make the condition sound life threatening. Your sister is being a drama queen imo. It's should go away without treatment sometime within the year. Yeah, the school is being awful I guess. You should explain to them she has difficulty running. Next time she should take the earlier bus..
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Wahrheit
It is her fault though, she could have just got up earlier and then she wouldn't have missed the bus.

The bus thing is yeah, but does she really deserve a teacher laughing in her face about her disability? I think not.

Tell the head teacher. Both of my brothers have this disease, I'm lucky I don't.
Original post by trc96
The bus thing is yeah, but does she really deserve a teacher laughing in her face about her disability? I think not.

Do you even know what osgoods is lol? It's not a disability, it's a temporary condition. It's like having sore knee for a year. Both you and your sister is are drama queens.
That was very unprofessional of the teacher. How much do the school know about her it? I'm definitely not saying they were in the right, but do make sure they have all the information that they could need, as this is really helpful for you. I'd really recommend your parents phone the school, preferably the line manager of the teacher in question. They really need to know what has happened here so they can make sure that it never happens again. I have an unseen disability and have had teachers make comments before, and it can be really horrible, the teacher needs to know what they have done wrong.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending