The Student Room Group

Is a Cambridge Application possible?

In GCSE I got 3-A* 4-A 3-B 1-C
At AS im confident of probably AABB, With about 95ums on average for maths would that make a good application?
Possible yes, but you really need to be getting at least AAAB in your AS year if you want to make a competitive application.
Reply 2
It also depends on your personal statement and, if you get to interview, how you perform in that. What would you like to apply for?
Original post by Toomanysdrafts
In GCSE I got 3-A* 4-A 3-B 1-C
At AS im confident of probably AABB, With about 95ums on average for maths would that make a good application?

For maths? With 95 UMS% across maths and further maths, you have a reasonable chance, even with two B's. It's worth considering.
Its only AABB becaause my physics teacher is bad and the exam was hard
I Plan on reading load of book over the summer as i know they want you to know about stuff off syllabus to show enthusiasm
Reply 6
No, sorry, but that doesn't happen. Once you have been rejected that's the end of the process for this admissions cycle. Although OP can certainly re-apply next year if they do well and really want to give it another shot.

In GCSE I got 3-A* 4-A 3-B 1-CAt AS im confident of probably AABB, With about 95ums on average for maths would that make a good application?

If the AA is in Maths/FM then you can be a competitve applicant. All they are really interested in are your maths academics.

People with AABD (AA in Maths/FM) have received offers this year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Qonnor
It also depends on your personal statement and, if you get to interview, how you perform in that. What would you like to apply for?

Maths which i think will probably be extremely competitive
Original post by jneill
No, sorry, but that doesn't happen. Once you have been rejected that's the end of the process for this admissions cycle. Although OP can certainly re-apply next year if they do well and really want to give it another shot.

If the AA is in Maths/FM then you can be a competitve applicant. All they are really interested in are your maths academics.

People with AABD (AA in Maths/FM) have received offers this year.

Oh thatts not too bad, its just that we do M2 in AS which will probably decide what i get
Reply 9
Oh thatts not too bad, its just that we do M2 in AS which will probably decide what i get

Honestly, don't worry. Cambridge will even "forgive" 1 bad module if they see the rest are strong.
Original post by jneill
Honestly, don't worry. Cambridge will even "forgive" 1 bad module if they see the rest are strong.

I don't think they do, my friends brother got like 90-100 ums in his as maths but 74ums on fp1 and they rejected him...
Reply 11
I don't think they do, my friends brother got like 90-100 ums in his as maths but 74ums on fp1 and they rejected him...

Did they specifically give that as the sole reason?

FP1 is probably the most important module you can do at AS, as is the hardest. 74 UMS in FP1 is a bit of a sign that you can't cope with hard maths, whereas 74 UMS in e.g. D1 just shows that you don't like following stupid algorithms. Having said that, I only got 82 UMS in FP1 (but 300 in maths) and got an offer for Computer Science with Maths. So it is possible to compensate even for not doing as well as you should in FP1.
Original post by sweeneyrod
FP1 is probably the most important module you can do at AS, as is the hardest. 74 UMS in FP1 is a bit of a sign that you can't cope with hard maths, whereas 74 UMS in e.g. D1 just shows that you don't like following stupid algorithms. Having said that, I only got 82 UMS in FP1 (but 300 in maths) and got an offer for Computer Science with Maths. So it is possible to compensate even for not doing as well as you should in FP1.

The thing is though because we do M2 in y13 he got 93 ums which i think is harder than fp1

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending