The Student Room Group

Learning English is drivingme crazy..

Hi guys im 14 years old teen from turkey ( dont hate me plz) and i really wanna speak english as a english and i tried everything , i watched tv series , i watched youtube videos, i tried translate books english to turkish, we even learn english in school but i still speak english in medium-level , what do u guys recommend me to improve my english ? (sorry for bad english)
Original post by miyooo
Hi guys im 14 years old teen from turkey ( dont hate me plz) and i really wanna speak english as a english and i tried everything , i watched tv series , i watched youtube videos, i tried translate books english to turkish, we even learn english in school but i still speak english in medium-level , what do u guys recommend me to improve my english ? (sorry for bad english)

Your English is really good. If you want to learn English, come and live here in England for a bit or something.
Reply 2
Original post by CorpusLuteum
Your English is really good. If you want to learn English, come and live here in England for a bit or something.

thanks but like i said i am 14 , i wish i could live in england but you know...
Original post by miyooo
thanks but like i said i am 14 , i wish i could live in england but you know...

Yeah, then just wait for a little. Your English is fine for your age.
Reply 4
Original post by CorpusLuteum
Yeah, then just wait for a little. Your English is fine for your age.

thanks for the answer :smile: good evenings
Original post by miyooo

What things do you find difficult, try to delve into something that specifically targets your weak areas
Reply 6
Original post by ImNotReallyMe
What things do you find difficult, try to delve into something that specifically targets your weak areas

yeah this could be good :smile: thanks
Reply 7
Original post by miyooo

Hey, English is not my native language either, so I might help you with it. When I used to learn English I found it helpful to learn English songs that I liked and then translate them into my language. This helped me to learn longer sentences. You seem to like learning to talk more fluently English so keep trying and I think that you should improve on it in no time :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by In2u
Hey, English is not my native language either, so I might help you with it. When I used to learn English I found it helpful to learn English songs that I liked and then translate them into my language. This helped me to learn longer sentences. You seem to like learning to talk more fluently English so keep trying and I think that you should improve on it in no time :smile:

thanks this was motivator :smile: what is your native language ?
Original post by miyooo

Your English is actually very good! When I first started school I couldn't speak English at all because my parents only spoke our mother tounge at home and I learnt only by talking to other people. The best way to learn any language is by speaking to people who are fluent in that language. I think you should try and find fluent english speaking people and engage in conversations with them, that is the best way to learn. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Your English is actually very good! When I first started school I couldn't speak English at all because my parents only spoke our mother tounge at home and I learnt only by talking to other people. The best way to learn any language is by speaking to people who are fluent in that language. I think you should try and find fluent english speaking people and engage in conversations with them, that is the best way to learn. :smile:

thank you :smile: that was helpful i should try it
do you know anybody who can speak English fluently you can have conversation practice with?
I use a website called duolingo to learn foreign languages, maybe you can see if there is anything to help you on there? I would just say do more of what you are doing to learn english already or do it with harder stuff.
Reply 13
Original post by miyooo
thanks this was motivator :smile: what is your native language ?

I am from Lithuania so I speak Lithuanian whenever I am at home or with my family. I came to England when I was about 11 years old. Rarely, but sometimes I still find some of the difficult words that I don't understand but I try to learn them! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
You can post on Lang-8 to get corrections with English.

Focus on what you struggle with the most and look more into it (e..g sentence structure, idioms, pronunciation)
Reply 15
Hello, ^-^ I know exactly how you feel! English is not my mother language too, but first of all is not necessary to be like that, your English is very good. When I started to learn English I used to learning by my own, specially reading maybe you could try to read more this will make your English grow up. Another possibility to improve your English is to explore the internet, nowadays there is a lot of grammar content, worksheets and also games online that improve can your pronunciation and stress in your speaking knowledge, this is a resource that you might want to use. And why don´t you ask any advice for your teachers? They can give you other helpful advices. I hope my tips and suggestions be useful to you.
Original post by miyooo

If you want your English to be advanced, it really takes time. Keep learning, listening and reading.

There's one more way that should make your speaking and writing better: keep a vocabulary notebook. When you see a new word or expression, write the word, its pronunciation, translation into Turkish and a context (it can be just one sentence in English).
Open the notebook every day. Find 10 minutes a day to look at a few last words you wrote (for example, 10). When you feel that you really know them, skip them.

Your productive language will be better and better!
Original post by Patryk1992
If you want your English to be advanced, it really takes time. Keep learning, listening and reading.

There's one more way that should make your speaking and writing better: keep a vocabulary notebook. When you see a new word or expression, write the word, its pronunciation, translation into Turkish and a context (it can be just one sentence in English).
Open the notebook every day. Find 10 minutes a day to look at a few last words you wrote (for example, 10). When you feel that you really know them, skip them.

Your productive language will be better and better!

And I must admit that you are only 14, so your English is really good now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest