The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Economics Unit 4 (ECON4) June 23rd OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redwhiteandbrit
Context 2 and Essay 1.

Given I ****ed up Econ 3 I really felt like this saved my grade. Lovely paper, feel reasonably confident! That being said I do think people will have screwed up the EU questions, albeit some will take the economic focus the question was asking for ...

Your absolutely right, I did that question and had to refrain myself from going into immigration/ sovereignty arguments so many times.....

I think that's why AQA put that question in tho, just to trip us up and write from the perspective of the media rather than an economist.
Reply 301
Original post by cherry1997
am i the only one who ran out of time and didnt complete the whole paper??
you guys how many marks could i loose if i didn't write a conclusion

Did you drop in evaluation points throughout your answer? if not you will be locked at 15 marks according to the mark scheme. (for the 25 markers)
Original post by Edminzodo
Oh yeah, I did the Laffer Curve! Also an inflation one so you did the same as me. Hopefully that'll be enough. I type in my exams so my graphs were on a separate sheet and I referenced them in various questions, some multiple times as well, but I forget now.

Sup, i cant reply to your message on my profile for some reason but dont worry.
This exam went much worse(for me) than your unit 3 did (for you) :biggrin:
Original post by AWrd
Did you drop in evaluation points throughout your answer? if not you will be locked at 15 marks according to the mark scheme. (for the 25 markers)

abit for evaluation like 2 sentences per point i wanted to fully evaluate in the conclusion but i ran out of time!
Original post by Caius Filimon
What'd you peeps do for Q11

Also, craaap, I think I went a bit too micro on Q12. It said specifically good for consumers and firms though, so that should be fine right?

I talked mostly about consumers benefits and cons, producers benefits and cons, then in the evaluation I talked about macroecon objective implications. That should be fine, right?

tbh as long as you explain all of your points in detail its completely fine :smile: youll get the marks i really wouldent fret, besides it was quite an open q and everyone would have attempted it slightly differently xx
Reply 305
Original post by cherry1997
abit for evaluation like 2 sentences per point i wanted to fully evaluate in the conclusion but i ran out of time!

Yeah i often have the same thing happen to me, you should only lose a few marks
Reply 306
Context 2, 25 Marker
Question was about demand side vs supply side policies in reducing uk unemployment.
I spoke about min wage, cutting welfare benefits and fiscal policy on training/education, but when talking about min wage and cutting welfare benefits i said they were demand side policies.
Does anyone have any idea how badly this will effect my mark?
cheers
Original post by High Stakes
I did all the conversions before rounding: got 22752.68817 which I rounded to 22753

Doesn't matter tho it's only worth 1-2 marks. The rest come from the point of comparison which is easy. :smile:

Oh no I got the right digits but decided to put 'million' behind it right before time was up... 22753 million euro per capita doesn't even make any sense why the **** did I do that :frown:
Reply 308
Original post by econam
Yeah I did! I did benefits of comparatively cheaper goods on the int. market and then evaluated with the fact we have comp. adv. in services so doesnt help massively. Then I did delayed expenditure using Japan as an example and the impact with employment and cycle of lacklustre growth using phillips curve. My judgement was around whether it was demand side or supply side causes and if it persists - used the fact our deflation was mainly from falling oil and once taking petrol out of CPI we had decent inflation.

Wbu?

Basically I argued that it Depends on how much lower than the target rate it was. But in general, lower inflations leads to Improved price competitiveness. Therefore, all the pro's that brings...
Lower inflation has an effect on consumer confidence, means that the real value of debt is decreasing but at a very slow rate, therefore they may consume less etc..
Then i mentioned the Short Run Phillips Curve and stated that with low inflation come high unemployment in the short run.
What the MPC may do if rates fall low, e.g lower interest rates to stimulate AD then evaluated that...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jackm7
Anyone do Essays 9, 10? Second lot on Deflation? What was your argument for the 25 marker?

I did. TBH I couldn't think of many consequences of inflation as most things we learn have inflation as a consequence.

I basically talked about the signals it gives to consumers and investors.
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone got pictures of the exam paper???
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-ECON4-W-MS-JAN13.PDF

jan 13 paper had some extremely similar questions. Context 1 was very similar to context 2 today so if anyone wants to take a look.
Original post by meimaths123
Context 1 question 1 anyone get 3.1%

How did you work that out
Original post by jampot98
Could've sworn I got 2.6% but I probably didn't read the question properly
We had to analyse the graph on the left over the whole period right?
Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 2.6% too but most people at my school got 3.1%
Original post by Louise123456789
I got 2.6% too but most people at my school got 3.1%

If I can see a picture of the exam then I can be sure if it asked over the whole period or just part of it.
Original post by Alextaylor6
There will be a slight variation but the other guy did the whole time period by accident

I'm sure I calculated it between the time period stated in the question (1st August 2015 - 16th August 2015). The answer was +3.1%
Original post by jaymistry233
I'm sure I calculated it between the time period stated in the question (1st August 2015 - 16th August 2015). The answer was +3.1%

Most people have said 3.1% so I assume I've got it wrong
Original post by BirdIsWord
Sup, i cant reply to your message on my profile for some reason but dont worry.
This exam went much worse(for me) than your unit 3 did (for you) :biggrin:

Oh, right. And I'm sorry to hear that. What grade are you aiming for? I'm sure it went better than you think it did!
Original post by redwhiteandbrit
Context 2 and Essay 1.

Given I ****ed up Econ 3 I really felt like this saved my grade. Lovely paper, feel reasonably confident! That being said I do think people will have screwed up the EU questions, albeit some will take the economic focus the question was asking for ...

What did you write on the 15 and 25 marker for essay 1??
I did Context 2
For Q4 i got 22000 something
For Q5 i spoke about how the increase in growth means for demand for labour which leads to more employment etc.
Then for Q6 i spoke about benefits and drawback of supply side, fiscal and monetary policy. I then gave examples so min wage and expansionary fiscal policy.
I then did Q11 and spoke about tariffs, quotas, red tape and how in unions there no restrictions etc.
For Q12 i spoke about benefits for individuals and firms then drawbacks for them i.e more inequality. And for my judgement i spoke about how it affects the economy so like the £350 million a week the UK pays the Eu

Im not sure if i answered some of the question right and i'd really appreciate it if you gave me some feedback and a rough mark..thanks in advance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending