The Student Room Group

Gtx 1070 vs gtx 1080

Scroll to see replies

I'd wait a while for the latest AMD Core processor too and save up a little more and get the 1080 with a good CPU.
I'm updating my GTX980ti soon to the 1080. :smile: x
Original post by lucy_smile
I'd wait a while for the latest AMD Core processor too and save up a little more and get the 1080 with a good CPU.
I'm updating my GTX980ti soon to the 1080. :smile: x

All the word on the street is that this could easily be the gen where AMD needs to sell their GPU arm because they simply do not have the funds to remain competitive, and that's part of the reason Polaris is so late.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by Jacarch12
Keyword here: GAMING

Always ALWAYS, with a GAMING PC focus on the part that pushes pixels. 1080 any-day, there isn't very many modern CPUs that will bottleneck new cards. Any medium-high priced CPU with 4 or more cores will be fine, except those mucky APUs.

Hope you enjoy your new PC when its all finished.

That depends on what games OP wants to play. Games like Fallout 4 and GTA V, not the most advanced, place a heavy load on the CPU. Balance is key here. Plus it's much easier to swap out a GPU that a CPU.

To OP, I think by the time you factor everything in, a 1080 will force you to make too many compromises.
Dude you seen the new RX480?
2 of them cost the same as a 1070 and they perform around the same as a 1080 when in CrossFire
Original post by asim1999
Dude you seen the new RX480?
2 of them cost the same as a 1070 and they perform around the same as a 1080 when in CrossFire

But you should never use crossfire or SLI unless there is not a single GPU that can do the same job for a similar or lower price. Its also AMD :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by not_lucas1
If you get a bad cpu it will bottleneck your gpu so make sure you get good of both. GTX 1070 is good enough for the majority of games unless you gunna be doing mad 4k gaming

I don't think the cpu is that important tbh unless you want to multitask like mad. I have a 5 year old i5 cpu. Got a 970GTX and 16gb of ram and it runs everything super smooth at 4k res.
Honestly I'm waiting on benchmarks on the 480. If what AMD says is true, two of those could outclass a 1080 for less that 2/3 the price.
Original post by pointblank91
I don't think the cpu is that important tbh unless you want to multitask like mad. I have a 5 year old i5 cpu. Got a 970GTX and 16gb of ram and it runs everything super smooth at 4k res.

The CPU definately does matter, you think it doesnt but thats because you have a decent cpu. Im not saying go out and buy a i7 because that would be a waste of money for the majority of people, im saying he needs at least a decent one e.g i5 or something so he doesnt bottleneck his gpu
Original post by Cryptokyo
I have a budget of around 1400 for a gaming PC. Should I get a 1080 and sacrifice on the CPU and other stuff or get a complete system with a 1070?

Advice pls.

Neither

Get an rx 480, for 200 pounds, performs like a gtx 980

It's an industry killer

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4ovqwg/how_many_graphics_cards_is_the_rx480_cheaper_and/

Pretty much anything in the mainstream and budget ranges is obsoleted by the RX Polaris line.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by democracyforum
Neither

Get an rx 480, for 200 pounds, performs like a gtx 980

It's an industry killer

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4ovqwg/how_many_graphics_cards_is_the_rx480_cheaper_and/

Pretty much anything in the mainstream and budget ranges is obsoleted by the RX Polaris line.

There is no way that that will outperform a 1080 and still be reliable. I cast serious questions over build quality....
Original post by cbreef
There is no way that that will outperform a 1080 and still be reliable. I cast serious questions over build quality....

no one said it will outperform a 1080 . Seriously, where do you get that idea from ?

they did say it runs close to a gtx 980 and maybe a 1070, which is 400 pounds.
Original post by democracyforum
no one said it will outperform a 1080 . Seriously, where do you get that idea from ?

they did say it runs close to a gtx 980 and maybe a 1070, which is 400 pounds.

What I meant, my bad. But my point still stands
Original post by cbreef
What I meant, my bad. But my point still stands

What was your point ?

My point was that for 200 pounds, it is the best card for that price, and actually a very good card anyway.

Obviously the 1080 is better, and the 1070 is slightly better.
Original post by cbreef

In terms of raw power it's on par with a slightly over clocked 980Ti, or a 1070

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by Jammy Duel
In terms of raw power it's on par with a slightly over clocked 980Ti, or a 1070

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sadly NVIDIA will probably cause it problems all over the shop by forcing games to be optimised for its own cards :frown:
Original post by offhegoes
Sadly NVIDIA will probably cause it problems all over the shop by forcing games to be optimised for its own cards :frown:

You act as if only nvidia are ever hardware partners

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
You act as if only nvidia are ever hardware partners

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surely you agree that Nvidia have done their utmost to make sure games are optimised for their own games and tchnologies above others?
Original post by offhegoes
Surely you agree that Nvidia have done their utmost to make sure games are optimised for their own games and tchnologies above others?

As has AMD, as would any company with the ability to do so

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
As has AMD, as would any company with the ability to do so

Posted from TSR Mobile

And who do you think has been in the strongest position to exert its influence? My gripe is not with Nvidia, more for the gaming industry for going along with it. More value-for-money graphics cards on the market means more potential PC gamers playing the latest games.
As long as you get a quad core i5 you should be set on the CPU side of things. In terms of the 1070 or the 1080 if you're thinking of jumping for the 1080 then wait for the 1080Ti, because that's where the real performance improvements come along. If you're thinking of going for the 1070 then go for it, I'm sure that it'll be a very popular card. The RX 480 and its benchmarks are also coming out pretty soon so if you've got a lower budget then definitely take that into consideration.

Quick Reply

Latest