The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Would it be impossible to get into Kings college with these GCSEs?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hide that F. My friend got worse GCSE's and still got in. You'll be fine providing you get good A Levels
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Yeah OP your GCSEs are fine.
I'm a current King's student - A-Level grades and your personal statement are much more important than GCSEs. And your A-Levels are fantastic so I wouldn't worry there! :smile: I got into King's with A*BB so I think you'll be fine :smile:

If you do choose Psychology though, prepare for a lot of Maths
Reply 23
Original post by A2Psychology
I'm a current King's student - A-Level grades and your personal statement are much more important than GCSEs. And your A-Levels are fantastic so I wouldn't worry there! :smile: I got into King's with A*BB so I think you'll be fine :smile:

I hope to do okay, fingers crossed 😂 What type of maths?
Original post by Lea170
I hope to do okay, fingers crossed 😂 What type of maths?

It's statistics, so looking at determining whether results are significant or not, analysing data, how we can interpret data etc. It's not the worst thing in the world and the progression through the course is manageable, but if you're somebody like me who doesn't enjoy maths, it's not the most exciting topic but it has to be done :smile:
Reply 25
It's statistics, so looking at determining whether results are significant or not, analysing data, how we can interpret data etc. It's not the worst thing in the world and the progression through the course is manageable, but if you're somebody like me who doesn't enjoy maths, it's not the most exciting topic but it has to be done :smile:

I mean I enjoy certain types of maths. But is it difficult?
Reply 26

hey if i get these GCSE results do i stand a chance? to study law

english lang c
english lit a
business b/a
history a
science AAB
maths b
ict a
french d

i am also going to kcl pre uni law this summer and i ll do ib next year
Original post by Rhythmical
Well I hope to see you there! :h:

Erm well I do A Levels in English Literature, English Language and an OCR Cambridge Technical in Media and always wanted to go to Kings/UCL to do English yet my passion for Science and Biology enforced me to become disoriented from my essay based subjects and I decided that upon reflection, Biomedical science is more of a viable choice for me because of how suited I am to it. There was no I could have done Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Physics/Maths at my current school due to the options so what I've decided is to do it privately and self teach myself next year after my current ones. It was either do A Levels again in the subjects I need for my degree, a foundation year alongside a degree or an Access to HE course which I was told would not be sufficient for myself as I would be too "overqualified" apparently. What A Levels are you doing and plan to do as a degree?

Wow. I like your drive. You seem very focused regarding what you want. Hope you don't mind me asking, are you in year 12 or year 13?

Awwh, I wish I was you. In terms of your GCSEs did you get anything below C for any of your subjects?
Original post by OHamdy
hey if i get these GCSE results do i stand a chance? to study law

english lang c
english lit a
business b/a
history a
science AAB
maths b
ict a
french d

i am also going to kcl pre uni law this summer and i ll do ib next year

Law is EXTREMELY competitive at Kings as they want A*AA at A level and in general at high ranking unis. Most applicants will have As and A*'s at GCSE, however your application will still be considered. You must have high grades at IB, high LNAT score and a strong personal statement. If this is the case im sure they will not consider your GCSE's too heavily as you make it up with your IB and LNAT.
Hi guys please help me outI have a conditional offer from KCL for Physics and the grades I require are AAA.However after that OCR Maths M2 exam I am 100% sure it's impossible for me to get an A in maths but I should get a B.So is it there any chance they will still accept me with AAB?(Subjects I'm doing)Physics - Should get an AMaths - BLaw - Should get an A, maybe A* but unlikely.Thanks
Original post by Jon1234321
Hi guys please help me outI have a conditional offer from KCL for Physics and the grades I require are AAA.However after that OCR Maths M2 exam I am 100% sure it's impossible for me to get an A in maths but I should get a B.So is it there any chance they will still accept me with AAB?(Subjects I'm doing)Physics - Should get an AMaths - BLaw - Should get an A, maybe A* but unlikely.Thanks

Maybe but I would prepare not to just in case as maths is the most important A-level to get the A in. So if they are taking missed offers I imagine they will take ones missed in either physics or the other subject someone does first as they are much less important
Thanks for the reply

But I want to study just physics, so surely physics a level is more important than maths a level?
Original post by Jon1234321
Thanks for the reply

But I want to study just physics, so surely physics a level is more important than maths a level?

No its not because you dont learn anything that useful if physics (except seeing some very basic problems and concepts) but physics relies fundamentally on calculus which is the most important important thing you will cover in your core A-level maths (and trig identity stuff +vectors) for physics.

A physics degree is highly mathematical and nothing like a physics a level
(edited 7 years ago)
Ah ok :frown:

Thanks for the replies!
Original post by madmadmax321
I got all C's at GCSE and got an offer for BSc maths and physics from kings last year

Wow, seriously? What did you get in your AS/A levels? Aw, did you end up taking the offer by the way?
Original post by Cherry82
Wow, seriously? What did you get in your AS/A levels? Aw, did you end up taking the offer by the way?

yep but I know a few of my friends that had poor gcses that got offers from kings, for most subjects gcses dont matter, didnt use alevels as entry but got the equivalent of A*AA, didnt take up the offer (though I met the grades) due to it wasnt worth the extra loans to live in london for me

Note that physics isnt the most competitive subject hence why I got an offer, very few unis care about GCSEs really (for most subjects of course not all)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by OrdinaryStudent
Law is EXTREMELY competitive at Kings as they want A*AA at A level and in general at high ranking unis. Most applicants will have As and A*'s at GCSE, however your application will still be considered. You must have high grades at IB, high LNAT score and a strong personal statement. If this is the case im sure they will not consider your GCSE's too heavily as you make it up with your IB and LNAT.

40+ Points in IB and 27+ in the LNAT? Excellent school reference, relevant work experience and extra circular activities. umm I didn't do so well in GCSE because I went in without revising and when i did it was 30 minutes before the exam stupid I know. If I may add, I am attending KCL's pre uni summer for Law if that helps.
Reply 38
Original post by OHamdy
40+ Points in IB and 27+ in the LNAT? Excellent school reference, relevant work experience and extra circular activities. umm I didn't do so well in GCSE because I went in without revising and when i did it was 30 minutes before the exam stupid I know. If I may add, I am attending KCL's pre uni summer for Law if that helps.

Would that increase my chances?
Original post by OHamdy
Would that increase my chances?

definitely, you need to understand that the application is looked at as a whole, so if you do worse in 1 area (gcses) but excel in others (ib) then that can make up for the weaker areas, assuming you have met their minimum gcse requirements listed on their website

Quick Reply

Latest