The Student Room Group

My journey to getting excellent grades at GCSE

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MezmorisedPotato
Thank you! Making a thread like this was a great motivation to keep going, even when procrastination becomes tempting. Can't wait for the three month break :u:

Definitely, it keeps things very organised as well (as you can see :tongue:) what have you got planned?
Original post by SeanFM
Definitely, it keeps things very organised as well (as you can see :tongue:) what have you got planned?

We'll be going around Europe this summer. Then I'll be going out with friends. I feel like for the remainder, just stay at home and relax, catching up with some TV series like House of Cards e.t.c. A regular summer! :smile:
What are you planning to do?
We'll be going around Europe this summer. Then I'll be going out with friends. I feel like for the remainder, just stay at home and relax, catching up with some TV series like House of Cards e.t.c. A regular summer! :smile:
What are you planning to do?

:eek4: I'm wel jel, that sounds like the perfect summer.

I have.. just over 1 week of summer left before I start a full time job :lol: (a placement year as part of my degree :hide:) been to France already, not much more lined up except for going up to Northern Ireland to see a europa league match and desperately need to get round to watching TV series :hide:

Enjoy your holiday though :lol: 2 months'll fly by, I tell you. :hide:
Original post by SeanFM
:eek4: I'm wel jel, that sounds like the perfect summer.

I have.. just over 1 week of summer left before I start a full time job :lol: (a placement year as part of my degree :hide:) been to France already, not much more lined up except for going up to Northern Ireland to see a europa league match and desperately need to get round to watching TV series :hide:

Enjoy your holiday though :lol: 2 months'll fly by, I tell you. :hide:

Wow, must be an exciting ( yet anxious) time for you! It really scares me how in a few years :s-smilie:, I'll be in employment! Did A levels go fast for you? Anyway, I hope you enjoy your last week and wish you the best for your job! :smile: Final exam tomorrow but watching the referendum stuff on TV. Silly me!
Wow, must be an exciting ( yet anxious) time for you! It really scares me how in a few years :s-smilie:, I'll be in employment! Did A levels go fast for you? Anyway, I hope you enjoy your last week and wish you the best for your job! :smile: Final exam tomorrow but watching the referendum stuff on TV. Silly me!

Oh, don't worry, at times between now and then it'll feel like a drag, you'll sit loads of exams, there'll be long holidays, fun stuff going on as well, before you finally get to this stage, and when you look back you think 'wow, this flew by quickly'. If you remember, come back in a few years and say 'that guy was right :lol:'.

Yes. Year 12 is short and Year 13 is even shorter. (Apart from exam season, where every day feels like a drag :lol:)

Thanks, yeah :lol: don't get too gripped.. the results won't change if you observe them or wake up to find 'em, you know, and at this point in time your exam is more important :lol: good luck once again.
UPDATE 6/7/16

I know it has been a long while but I thought it'd be interesting for me to talk about what's been going on recently in my life. School closed early for year 11's who've finished their exams, so 24th of June for me. So I've been free for 2 weeks now! Apart from playing out and video games, I haven't got up to much but that should change in the coming week. :smile:

So far, our prom happened a week ago and it was a wonderful event. Everyone came together for the last time for food and the partying became insane! Didn't go to after-prom though because I was really too tired and wanted to just relax at home! The venue was gorgeous but the thought I won't see a lot of people in Sixth Form is sad. :frown:

Next, this Monday, we had our taster student day for college. You may already know my A-Level options were Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics. These subjects were definitely intriguing for the most but I felt Maths was leaning too far to the GCSE side rather than giving us a taste of A-Level material. Biology has a lot of content to it but the movement of topics to the human biology side is something I like for these reformed A-Levels. Chemistry was good; we were doing enthalpy experiments which are basically work to do with Endothermic and Exothermic reactions but in detail. Physics, to my delight is mostly Maths now due to reforms which I don't mind at all! There was experiments on movement of objects in the air and working out initial velocity and graph work. The overall atmosphere of the college is great and staff are friendly as well! I'm probably enrolling there in September! I can't wait :biggrin:

Finally some plans I have left for the holidays is starting to go to the gym more. I have a membership that I don't even bother to use! Next week, we'll be going on holiday, so that's something to look forward to. After that, it'll be the start of some work experience, probably at a care-home which is vital for taking medicine at university.

Anyway, I'll try to do updates once in a while up to results day! And yes, I may share my results here when I get them. Everyone else, enjoy the rest of your holidays; you've earned a well deserved break.
UPDATE 6/7/16
I know it has been a long while but I thought it'd be interesting for me to talk about what's been going on recently in my life. School closed early for year 11's who've finished their exams, so 24th of June for me. So I've been free for 2 weeks now! Apart from playing out and video games, I haven't got up to much but that should change in the coming week. :smile:

So far, our prom happened a week ago and it was a wonderful event. Everyone came together for the last time for food and the partying became insane! Didn't go to after-prom though because I was really too tired and wanted to just relax at home! The venue was gorgeous but the thought I won't see a lot of people in Sixth Form is sad. :frown:

Next, this Monday, we had our taster student day for college. You may already know my A-Level options were Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics. These subjects were definitely intriguing for the most but I felt Maths was leaning too far to the GCSE side rather than giving us a taste of A-Level material. Biology has a lot of content to it but the movement of topics to the human biology side is something I like for these reformed A-Levels. Chemistry was good; we were doing enthalpy experiments which are basically work to do with Endothermic and Exothermic reactions but in detail. Physics, to my delight is mostly Maths now due to reforms which I don't mind at all! There was experiments on movement of objects in the air and working out initial velocity and graph work. The overall atmosphere of the college is great and staff are friendly as well! I'm probably enrolling there in September! I can't wait :biggrin:

Finally some plans I have left for the holidays is starting to go to the gym more. I have a membership that I don't even bother to use! Next week, we'll be going on holiday, so that's something to look forward to. After that, it'll be the start of some work experience, probably at a care-home which is vital for taking medicine at university.

Anyway, I'll try to do updates once in a while up to results day! And yes, I may share my results here when I get them. Everyone else, enjoy the rest of your holidays; you've earned a well deserved break.

HAVE FUN !! Have you found work experience ? If so how ?
Original post by nisha.sri
HAVE FUN !! Have you found work experience ? If so how ?

There's a local carehome here that allows for people to help with general duties there. Since being a doctor is about the caring profession, it is really good! I'm also looking at helping at childrens play areas but getting jobs there can be difficult. Just lookup care homes and stuff in the area, you're bound to find some form of experience. :smile:
Today, I'm just going to play Pokemon GO for a while since it is so addictive. Probably go out later too for badminton and stuff :smile:
Update 7/12/16

So a regular day today. Went out for a walk, played Pokemon go for an hour and got far with it.

I researched about my sixth form, the subjects and how to prepare for them. The college sent info on it.

I've watched Central Intelligence movie yesterday! It was awesome. Has to be one of the funniest I've seen in a while.

Watching Child Genius TV show on catch-up.

So mostly a lazy day, just how a holiday is meant to be!
New updates will be on my new summer Bucket List located here. Please check it out to keep up with what I plan to do.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4212089&p=66406833#post66406833
(edited 7 years ago)
So close now to results day! I wish everyone the best of luck and hope you achieve the grades that you aspire towards. Keep your chin up if things do not go exactly to plan and motivate yourselves to become ever better in the subjects you have chose for A level.
Do you still think you will get the same things after you've seen GBs? I'm doing nearly the same gcses as you and expecting same results buy I'm a bit nervous as high gbs and I didn't work hard enough

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck!
So close now to results day! I wish everyone the best of luck and hope you achieve the grades that you aspire towards. Keep your chin up if things do not go exactly to plan and motivate yourselves to become ever better in the subjects you have chose for A level.

Good luck !!
Hey anyone who can reply,
I am doing edexcel gcse pe and got 46/50 in practical
Is it still possible for me to get A*
Original post by AdeptDz
Do you still think you will get the same things after you've seen GBs? I'm doing nearly the same gcses as you and expecting same results buy I'm a bit nervous as high gbs and I didn't work hard enough

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think there may be some small changes in results but I hope to reach a minumum target of 8A*'s and 3A's. I'd be disappointed with 7 but it is still a good result.
Original post by romansholiday
Good luck!

Thank you! Wishing you good luck too

Original post by nisha.sri
Good luck !!

Thank you, good luck to you too!

Original post by hazy500
Hey anyone who can reply,
I am doing edexcel gcse pe and got 46/50 in practical
Is it still possible for me to get A*

Well 46 is now an A meaning 96 UMS. So even if you got full 80 UMS on exams, you'd be at 176, which missed an A* by 4 marks. I feel the same way as you since I got 46 too. However good luck, I'm sure you'll do great! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I think there may be some small changes in results but I hope to reach a minumum target of 8A*'s and 3A's. I'd be disappointed with 7 but it is still a good result.

Thank you! Wishing you good luck too

Thank you, good luck to you too!

Well 46 is now an A meaning 96 UMS. So even if you got full 80 UMS on exams, you'd be at 176, which missed an A* by 4 marks. I feel the same way as you since I got 46 too. However good luck, I'm sure you'll do great! :smile:

Thanks for the reply kinda frustrating how 50/80 and 80/80 both yield an A haha
Good luck
Here is my results

I managed to achieve above my predicted and got 8A*'s 2A's and a B. I'm pleased about them but I am getting my B remarked as I am 1 off an A. This subject was French.

Again thank you for all the support, compared to the start of year 11, I've grown my grades :biggrin:
Today, I'll be starting some AS level work.
This includes a start on:
Physical Chemistry
C1 Algebra
Transport of minerals Biology

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending