The Student Room Group

Gtx 1070 vs gtx 1080

Scroll to see replies

Original post by democracyforum
What was your point ?

My point was that for 200 pounds, it is the best card for that price, and actually a very good card anyway.

Obviously the 1080 is better, and the 1070 is slightly better.

That the build quality will surely suffer if it's half the price. They're clearly skipping steps.
Original post by Jammy Duel
In terms of raw power it's on par with a slightly over clocked 980Ti, or a 1070

Posted from TSR Mobile

What I meant was 980, not 1080. My bad
Original post by cbreef
That the build quality will surely suffer if it's half the price. They're clearly skipping steps.

No, that's not how it works.

It is cheaper because they are using newer technology meaning they can put more on a chip.

Even nvidia is cheaper . for example, the 1080 is 560 pounds, the titan, which is worse, was 1000 pounds.

Original post by cbreef
What I meant was 980, not 1080. My bad

rx 480- is about equal to the 980.
the 980 is 350 pounds. the 480 is 200 pounds.

this generation of cards are far cheaper.
(edited 7 years ago)
@democracyforum

I know, my point exactly. Almost half the price which is why I doubt it's durability. Who knows, it might surprise me.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot about this "two generational upgrade" thing they keep talking about. Good point.
For £200, you'd be mad to look elsewhere I think. Might have to ditch the console shortly!!! :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cbreef
I know, my point exactly. Almost half the price which is why I doubt it's durability.

so the cards will just randomly break because they are cheaper ??

No, this is why they are cheaper.

The term “14nm” refers to the size of the transistors that are used to make a whole integrated circuit or 'chip'. Back in the days of the earliest integrated circuits these transistors were 10microns across or nearly 1,000 times larger than they are today.

Reducing the size of these transistors has a multitude of benefits. For a start, because of the way integrated circuits are built on fixed-size sheets of silicon, by making each circuit smaller you can build more on any given sheet. This reduces the cost per transistor and increases the value for the customer.

Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/intel-s-14nm-revolution-everything-you-need-to-know#61AxoIdtveiz4jgK.99
Original post by democracyforum
No, that's not how it works.

It is cheaper because they are using newer technology meaning they can put more on a chip.

Even nvidia is cheaper . for example, the 1080 is 560 pounds, the titan, which is worse, was 1000 pounds.

rx 480- is about equal to the 980.
the 980 is 350 pounds. the 480 is 200 pounds.

this generation of cards are far cheaper.

My only valid criticism of this card then really would be it's lack of a backplate, but I can understand why it doesn't have one. I edited my old post while you were replying...
I really can't fault more than 5 TFLOPS of power to play with for that price
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cbreef
My only valid criticism of this card then really would be it's lack of a backplate, but I can understand why it doesn't have one. I edited my old post while you were replying...

Back-plates add quite a bit to the cost for not much benefit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
Back-plates add quite a bit to the cost for not much benefit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know, that's why I said I understand why it doesn't have one :smile:
"R9 280 2GB launch price $279
R9 380 2GB launch price $199
R9 480 4GB launch price $199

the 480 is almost twice as powerful as the 380 with at least twice the ram and the same price that, right there is value for money! "

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4pjg3t/why_are_the_new_generation_of_cards_cheaper/

Quick Reply

Latest