The Student Room Group

Unsure which subject to drop

At AS I did maths, german, business and textiles. I'm pretty sure I've done worst in german and tbh it's been the bane of my life this past year, but I know it will look better than textiles when it comes to applying to uni. I want to work in finance so have been looking at degrees such as accounting & finance, financial maths, etc. Only problem is that I could probably get an A in textiles easily, whereas in german it'll take so much more effort :frown: what does everyone think?
Reply 1
my possible combinations are:
- Maths, business, textiles + AS in further maths
- Maths, business, german (don't think i'd have the time to do further maths as german gives me a lot to do)
If you are good at maths I suggest you do Maths, Business, Textiles + AS in Further Maths. There's no point doing a subject you won't do so well in.

Also check out the requirements for the course you want to do at uni.
Reply 3
You know you can literally work in German-speaking countries in English-speaking jobs? Providing we stay in the EU, of course.

So yeah, you can utilise all of your time and energy on Mathematics, do Finance and work in multinational banks / financial services anywhere you like, it doesn't have to be the UK at all. You can work in Frankfurt in English-speaking job, or Zurich for that matter, and learn German there.

On the other hand, languages are always beneficial. If you could speak German on the native level you can expect many more employment opportunities.
I suggest definitely drop German and add on AS Further Maths - this will be more beneficial for working in finance.
Plus Textiles has a lot of transferable skills which you can highlight in your personal statement etc.
Reply 5
Original post by Math12345
If you are good at maths I suggest you do Maths, Business, Textiles + AS in Further Maths. There's no point doing a subject you won't do so well in.

Also check out the requirements for the course you want to do at uni.

I'm swaying more towards a mathematical degree but the few I've looked at don't require further maths. Still think it would be useful to do and shows my interest in the subject. My only worry is that business and textiles are usually considered 'soft' subjects :/
Original post by catwat99
I'm swaying more towards a mathematical degree but the few I've looked at don't require further maths. Still think it would be useful to do and shows my interest in the subject. My only worry is that business and textiles are usually considered 'soft' subjects :/

It does depend on the unis you are applying to.

Maths, Business and AS FM are the main subjects you need to do maths/finance. Textiles could be used to show variety as someone above pointed out.
Reply 7
Original post by Yael
You know you can literally work in German-speaking countries in English-speaking jobs? Providing we stay in the EU, of course.

So yeah, you can utilise all of your time and energy on Mathematics, do Finance and work in multinational banks / financial services anywhere you like, it doesn't have to be the UK at all. You can work in Frankfurt in English-speaking job, or Zurich for that matter, and learn German there.

On the other hand, languages are always beneficial. If you could speak German on the native level you can expect many more employment opportunities.

Many universities do language courses in addition to the degree so I'm considering doing this - I love the language but just find the exams so difficult to do well in.
Reply 8
Original post by catwat99
Many universities do language courses in addition to the degree so I'm considering doing this - I love the language but just find the exams so difficult to do well in.

Indeed the exams themselves can be very difficult.

Quick Reply

Latest