The Student Room Group

How easy/hard is Uni in comparison to A levels.

I'm going into year 13 (the year I die), and I was just wondering how hard or easy it is in comparison to Law at Uni.
Original post by KabirAhmad
I'm going into year 13 (the year I die), and I was just wondering how hard or easy it is in comparison to Law at Uni.

10x harder....
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
10x harder....

Harder? I heard from other people that its much more relaxed.
My mum said that if i thought the jump from GCSEs to A levels was bad then i have another storm coming.
I started crying
I think it really depends on you.
I will start uni in September but it should slightly easier if you're doing something you enjoy.
Original post by KabirAhmad
Harder? I heard from other people that its much more relaxed.

Ive done 2 years if uni. If you find it easier, you aint trying hard enough.

It say it's easier is just being less tgan smart. Degrees are supposed to be hard. If a levels were easier then surely itd be worth more to employers?
Original post by BirdIsWord
My mum said that if i thought the jump from GCSEs to A levels was bad then i have another storm coming.
I started crying

Your mother is a wise woman!
University is a breeze in comparison to A-Levels, I finished sixth form with very average A-level grades (not a single A/A*), but I graduated from a Russell group with a 1st

I put this down to the fact that...

- I was studying something I actually enjoyed and wanted to study
- No model answers BS/jumping through A-level hoops
- No grade boundaries/standard deviation/being compared to the rest of the country, your professors set your exam and they mark it, that's it, the boundaries are more or less fixed (see below)
- Threshold to achieve the top grade at university is much lower, you need 70% to get the top grade (first class)...and this would be what, a B at A-level? You need 80-90 to get the top grade in A-level and that's just crazy.
Original post by Anonymous
University is a breeze in comparison to A-Levels, I finished sixth form with very average A-level grades (not a single A/A*), but I graduated from a Russell group with a 1st

I put this down to the fact that...

- I was studying something I actually enjoyed and wanted to study
- No model answers BS/jumping through A-level hoops
- No grade boundaries/standard deviation/being compared to the rest of the country, your professors set your exam and they mark it, that's it, the boundaries are more or less fixed (see below)
- Threshold to achieve the top grade at university is much lower, you need 70% to get the top grade (first class)...and this would be what, a B at A-level? You need 80-90 to get the top grade in A-level and that's just crazy.

While I dont normally bash peoples subject choices, I wonder what subject you did to make university easier than A-levels
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Ive done 2 years if uni. If you find it easier, you aint trying hard enough.

It say it's easier is just being less tgan smart. Degrees are supposed to be hard. If a levels were easier then surely itd be worth more to employers?

You mean harder?
Original post by cbreef
You mean harder?

Yes, sorry - was preoccupied with the EU referendum last night
Just like A-levels demand much more of you than GCSEs do, uni and A-levels have the same relationship.

You should get eased into it in the first year anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending