The Student Room Group

Has the UK officially left?

Or is there a chance that the referendum is overturned? Like the politicians go against it anyway?
We have not officially left yet, no. We have just voted as a country that we intend to leave. The government could merely ignore it in theory, but of course, in reality they wouldn't.

The most likely means of leaving is through invoking article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty. We don't have to do that right this moment. We can do that whenever. But the moment we do we have a ticking clock of 2years to make any deals about how we leave/to what extent and so on. After that passes we legally get kicked out and lose its benefits, but also its cons with regards to its regulations!
(edited 7 years ago)
The EU could still pose better deals for Britain in attempts to persuade Britain to remain, but I severely doubt it...
We're leaving!! Woop woop!!!!
Original post by Platopus
We're leaving!! Woop woop!!!!

Original post by TorpidPhil
We have not officially left yet, no. We have just voted as a country that we intend to leave. The government could merely ignore it in theory, but of course, in reality they wouldn't.

The most likely means of leaving is through invoking article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty. We don't have to do that right this moment. We can do that whenever. But the moment we do we have a ticking clock of 2years to make any deals about how we leave/to what extent and so on. After that passes we legally get kicked out and lose its benefits, but also its cons with regards to its regulations!

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
The EU could still pose better deals for Britain in attempts to persuade Britain to remain, but I severely doubt it...

Although i never had much of an opinion on it (didn't care much), I've seen a lot of people very passionate about this referendum and I was expecting the UK to remain because that's the "safe option" we've always had. Didn't imagine the outcome to be leave.

I'm excited about the potential changes. Not about Nigel Farage now becoming more popular (thanks to this boost).

Should be interesting. I know a lot of remain voters will be gutted.
I predict the leave date will be in early 2019.
It took Greenland over 3 years to leave, it'll take quite a fair amount longer for the UK and hopefully change their intentions by then
The EU in its current form is finished, the new model will be a loose trade bloc of sovereign democratic states.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending