The Student Room Group

What are the effects of Brexit to EU Students???

So i have been living in the UK for 8 years now, i currently hold a Spanish Passport, this september i am going into University and have been eligible for a student loan and maintenance loan. Now that the UK is officially leaving the EU, how would it affect me in the future?

I am worried that in the upcoming future i won't be able to afford going to University and Living within their accomodation, could this ruin my future and other EU students?
Original post by johnfrancis_j
So i have been living in the UK for 8 years now, i currently hold a Spanish Passport, this september i am going into University and have been eligible for a student loan and maintenance loan. Now that the UK is officially leaving the EU, how would it affect me in the future?

I am worried that in the upcoming future i won't be able to afford going to University and Living within their accomodation, could this ruin my future and other EU students?

I don't think so. Majority of euro-sceptics like myself have always voiced the view that the migrants aren't responsible but the politicians are.

You should get some kind of temporary visa as a student because you are a customer of a University body.

But majority of Brits aren't that mean so we will have your back don't worry just focus on your studies.
Original post by illegaltobepoor
I don't think so. Majority of euro-sceptics like myself have always voiced the view that the migrants aren't responsible but the politicians are.

You should get some kind of temporary visa as a student because you are a customer of a University body.

But majority of Brits aren't that mean so we will have your back don't worry just focus on your studies.

Thank you very much for your reply boosts my morale :smile:
Thank you very much for your reply boosts my morale :smile:

You need to remember that the system the majority of leave campaigners wanted to change to is a points based system. The points system favours intellectuals & professionals.

You are a university student. The fact that your studying in another country and have a good level of written English means you are a very bright person. You are a professional in training.

Places like USA, Canada, Australia etc have always favoured student exchange programs and I guess that is the way Britain might go now.

I would say to you however think of the reasons why you came to Britain. If you really want to be a British citizen you will become one though hard work and perseverance.

May I ask what you are studying?
You need to remember that the system the majority of leave campaigners wanted to change to is a points based system. The points system favours intellectuals & professionals.

You are a university student. The fact that your studying in another country and have a good level of written English means you are a very bright person. You are a professional in training.

Places like USA, Canada, Australia etc have always favoured student exchange programs and I guess that is the way Britain might go now.

I would say to you however think of the reasons why you came to Britain. If you really want to be a British citizen you will become one though hard work and perseverance.

May I ask what you are studying?

I will be studying Architecture, an undergraduate course. However, this undergraduate course will only classify me as an Assistant Architect. For me to fully become an Architect i would have to take a Postgraduate course with a years work experience in the field of architecture and also undertake a final exam held by the RIBA to officially claim the status of an architect, And this is estimated to take 10 years to complete, hopefully within those years i would still be able to obtain support from the UK government.
Fees are split between Home & EU and international students.

If EU students are to become international students now, does that mean we will have to pay the international fees, which are much higher?

I was planning on coming back for an MA, but if this is the case, I won't be able to afford it...

The UK will still be a member for at least two years meaning you will still be able to access student finance and tuition fees on par with British citizens resident here. Its is likely (or I hope) that some kind of system will ensure that those EU citizens studying in the Uk who have entered during or before the two year negotiation period, this is because there at not only many people in a similar position as you but British students studying in exchange programs who won't be able to continue if the situation changes. In the possible agreement nothing may change but no one knows.

You could also potentially explore becoming a British citizen in addition to being Spanish given you have lived here for a significant amount of time at a young age. Interestingly I am British but eligible for a dual spanish citizenship and may very well claim it !
Original post by Astrtricks
The UK will still be a member for at least two years meaning you will still be able to access student finance and tuition fees on par with British citizens resident here. Its is likely (or I hope) that some kind of system will ensure that those EU citizens studying in the Uk who have entered during or before the two year negotiation period, this is because there at not only many people in a similar position as you but British students studying in exchange programs who won't be able to continue if the situation changes. In the possible agreement nothing may change but no one knows.

You could also potentially explore becoming a British citizen in addition to being Spanish given you have lived here for a significant amount of time at a young age. Interestingly I am British but eligible for a dual spanish citizenship and may very well claim it !

Agreed, in the future the best option would be to become British, im just glad to know Spain allows dual citizenship
I will be studying Architecture, an undergraduate course. However, this undergraduate course will only classify me as an Assistant Architect. For me to fully become an Architect i would have to take a Postgraduate course with a years work experience in the field of architecture and also undertake a final exam held by the RIBA to officially claim the status of an architect, And this is estimated to take 10 years to complete, hopefully within those years i would still be able to obtain support from the UK government.

John I know this might take your career off course but perhaps you should consider becoming a language teacher?

This would guarantee your British citizenship?

Spanish/French? or Spanish/Arabic?
Original post by T_Tornado
Fees are split between Home & EU and international students.

If EU students are to become international students now, does that mean we will have to pay the international fees, which are much higher?

I was planning on coming back for an MA, but if this is the case, I won't be able to afford it...

I have the same query as yourself, in 2 years time if i remain as an EU citizen, for my third and final year would i then become an international student with higher fees to pay that can't be afforded?

Not really sure :/
Reply 10
Original post by Astrtricks
The UK will still be a member for at least two years meaning you will still be able to access student finance and tuition fees on par with British citizens resident here. Its is likely (or I hope) that some kind of system will ensure that those EU citizens studying in the Uk who have entered during or before the two year negotiation period, this is because there at not only many people in a similar position as you but British students studying in exchange programs who won't be able to continue if the situation changes.!

I'm a student from the EU with a question.I hear this 2 year thing a lot... Is it for sure? I finished my first year of uni this month, studying in Coventry.

I already have 9k of student loans on my name. 2 years would mean that I'd have just enough time to finish my BA.But if the fees increased and/or I wasn't eligible to take out a student loan anymore, that means I'm out and screwed for my degree. I'd have to move somewhere else in the EU and transfer to a different uni as I for sure can't afford 9k a year, let alone 21 if it increases to the rates of overseas students.

So, is that 2 year period a settled thing already or is it just a figure people throw around?Thanks. Kind of worried, already started looking at courses in the Netherlands I could transfer to in case it goes wrong.

Another thing, will I still be able to apply for a national insurance number in September? Can't find a part time job without one, and I didn't manage to sort it out during my first year.

I realise you specifically might not know all the answers, just putting it out there in case someone knows more.

Cheers.
(edited 7 years ago)
John I know this might take your career off course but perhaps you should consider becoming a language teacher?

This would guarantee your British citizenship?

Spanish/French? or Spanish/Arabic?

It is an ideal option, however i've always had a passion for architecture. But i don't think i would change my preffered career to ensure a British citizenship, even though the alternative course could offer me far more benefits.
Original post by Seb.
I'm a student from the EU with a question.I hear this 2 year thing a lot... Is it for sure? I finished my first year of uni this month, studying in Coventry.

I already have 9k of student loans on my name. 2 years would mean that I'd have just enough time to finish my BA.But if the fees increased and/or I wasn't eligible to take out a student loan anymore, that means I'm out and screwed for my degree. I'd have to move somewhere else in the EU and transfer to a different uni as I for sure can't afford 9k a year, let alone 21 if it increases to the rates of overseas students.

So, is that 2 year period a settled thing already or is it just a figure people throw around?Thanks. Kind of worried, already started looking at courses in the Netherlands I could transfer to in case it goes wrong.

Another thing, will I still be able to apply for a national insurance number in September? Can't find a part time job without one, and I didn't manage to sort it out during my first year.

I realise you specifically might not know all the answers, just putting it out there in case someone knows more.

Cheers.

The two year period is guaranteed if we leave by invoking article 50, it specifically calls for two years of negations, more if both parties agree but If no agreement is made on universities by the time we leave there would be in effect no support, but I hope they'll work something out. During these two years tuition fees will remain the same for EU students, being the same as those from the uk and the support/loans for tuition fees and living costs will definitely remain the same.

Have you looked into what "acquired rights" are? They are rights which you have even after a treaty for those rights has been dissolved. This is a part of international law (separate from the EU.)

And shouldn't you have already sorted out your student finance?
Hello,
I am currently researching for my dissertation project and the aim is to explore if Brexit will have an effect on EU students finding employment in the UK.
This survey is for non-UK EU national students that are studying at a British university.

I would really appreciate if anyone could dedicate a bit of time to fill out my survey (approximately take 5 minutes) :smile: :smile:

LINK: https://qmul.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/brexit-understanding-eu-students-and-employment

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest